Learning music - Are instructors necessary?

I was wondering if you guys thought that having an instructor is worth the money. We are building a music lessons company that focuses on artists who want to pursue their musical goals. We thought it would be good to teach the creative side and the business side of the music industry.

If so, what would you want to learn and what would you expect. Do you think it's worth the price to get a private music teacher? We'd love to get everyone's feedback as we are growing and have an amazing staff on board.

We have also added online courses: http://takesessions.com/

College, and the internet are nowhere near to becoming valid sources for the real world. The music industry is cut throat and requires experience, which college can never give you. A course at a music school can cost upwards of 60,000 per year, only to have yourself competing with those who didn't go to college and have 4-6 years of experience under their belt. Regardless of its costs, it's nowhere near feasible to making confident long term decisions with.

I work in a studio in Venice with a famous producer who only hires Berklee College students. How much do you think they make? I'm the only person in the company that is not from Berklee, how much do you think I make? Being in this industry is like no other industry, because there is no distinct value of our service. Unlike accounting, finance, business, there is no value you can put in the work you do. 

2+2=4 DOESNT work in music , your answer can't be objective.. Thus why there is a demand for what we do.

College, and the internet are nowhere near to becoming valid sources for the real world. The music industry is cut throat and requires experience, which college can never give you. A course at a music school can cost upwards of 60,000 per year, only to have yourself competing with those who didn't go to college and have 4-6 years of experience under their belt. Regardless of its costs, it's nowhere near feasible to making confident long term decisions with.

I work in a studio in Venice with a famous producer who only hires Berklee College students. How much do you think they make? I'm the only person in the company that is not from Berklee, how much do you think I make? Being in this industry is like no other industry, because there is no distinct value of our service. Unlike accounting, finance, business, there is no value you can put in the work you do. 

2+2=4 DOESNT work in music , your answer can't be objective.. Thus why there is a demand for what we do.

This is true of many college majors. The classroom, by in large, provides a theory base. This theory base compliments the practical application of the skill. There are plenty of working musicians who started in the classroom, as I'm sure there are plenty who've never seen a day on a campus. Similarly, I've worked with great self-taught artists and I've seen a bunch who would benefit from time in an academic setting.  

I think it is fine if you want to offer music lessons but I don't really understand your question. Are you trying to define the value proposition for your service, perhaps relative to a university, or are you looking for insight into potential gaps in your service set?

I was wondering if you guys thought that having an instructor is worth the money. We are building a music lessons company that focuses on artists who want to pursue their musical goals. We thought it would be good to teach the creative side and the business side of the music industry.

If so, what would you want to learn and what would you expect. Do you think it's worth the price to get a private music teacher? We'd love to get everyone's feedback as we are growing and have an amazing staff on board.

We have also added online courses: http://takesessions.com/

Fuck off. You can't teach someone how to be creative and people who look at the business side of music are pests. A mic, instrument and four track are all you need. I guess to answer the thread's title, instructors are not necessary.

There are multiple points to this question, so I will attempt to tackle each one.

- Learning music, ie. Instruments- I've learned a lot without the help of an instructor. I play guitar, drums, piano and a few others relatively proficiently; however, I would imagine had a had an instructor early on, I may be rid of poor habits that I may have developed over the years. Though I can write a pretty decent pop song, it may have been nice to learn stronger finger picking technique at a younger age.

- Recording- the Internet is filled with a bevy of useful information that has made home recording ions better than it was just a decade ago. With the help of online tutorials, YouTube, and web forums, I was able to successfully become confident in utilizing Logic Pro in a home setting. With that said, I can say that I am far from able to make this a career. It would take much more for me to become confident with a larger scale, which is something I am seriously considering for my future. An education would tell me why certain things within a soundscape work in a specific way, I would learn more about sound frequencies, compression, etc. These are things that would be far too complicated for me to try and seek it all out without the assistance of proper instruction.

- industry- I have been touring and playing in bands for as long as I can remember and I can say one of the best ways to learn the industry is to submerge yourself in it and make friends with as many players in the game as possible. With that said, I've never had lunch with an A&R rep from Sony, I've never had to sign a detailed contract negotiating the rights to a chorus, or songwriting royalties. This may be something I would learn along the way, but I suppose a lot of mistakes could be avoided with proper instruction beforehand.

TLDR: I'm a grumpy old country musician that learned to play and record songs on my own, but I also think that learning from others is pretty cool.