PO: Grimes - Art Angels

I keep seeing this chick's name everywhere.  I saw her open for Lana Del Rey this summer, and had never heard of her.  She was flat out terrible...like...real bad.  She would literally just start screaming into the mic at random points in several of her songs, and people would go ape shit.  I think I'm just old, and don't get it, b/c a large part of the crowd seemed to really dig her set.

I saw Grimes at Pitchfork Festival last year and was completely underwhelmed. The late afternoon time slot probably didn't help her cause, but it was a really meh set for me. 

I saw Grimes at Pitchfork Festival last year and was completely underwhelmed. The late afternoon time slot probably didn't help her cause, but it was a really meh set for me. 

Yeah, I saw her at ACL a couple of years ago and she had all kinds of issues with her equipment. Last weekend at the Fillmore she was amazing and had the crowd dancing the entire set.

Was very disappointed at first.   If it had been anything other than a Grimes album I probably wouldn't have given it a second chance.   Now, despite being very much a pop album, it has managed to grow on me quite a bit.   Not sure whether I'll wind up buying the vinyl, nor whether it'll wind up being an album I listen to years down the line, but it's in heavy rotation for the moment. 

And at the very least, it is very much an album that only Grimes could have made....

You guys realize that Visions was a pop album too, right? Pop music isn't synonymous with bad music. 

Right, but it was also heavily electronic and pop in a more traditionally 4AD sense (think Cocteau Twins for example).   Art Angels borders on straight up bubble gum.  

Bubble gum pop also isn't synonymous with bad music, it just may not fit into personal tastes. Lots of people confusing the two and letting their expectations for a Grimes record inhibit their ability to assess the record on its own. 

I can't wait to give this a spin and if it's not my cup of tea due to it's 'poppiness' I'll leave it at that and let the pop-heads decide how 'good' the album is. 

• 4 weeks later...

Picked this up during Amoeba's 20% off online sale and it just came in today. Packaging is gorgeous (as it should be for it's normal retail price). Comes with 7(?) LP sized magna cards with art on each side presumabley drawn by Grimes. Gatefold sleeve is textured, glossy and pretty. Oh and the LP itself sounds excellent.

If only Realti came on the vinyl version...

Picked this up during Amoeba's 20% off online sale and it just came in today. Packaging is gorgeous (as it should be for it's normal retail price). Comes with 7(?) LP sized magna cards with art on each side presumabley drawn by Grimes. Gatefold sleeve is textured, glossy and pretty. Oh and the LP itself sounds excellent.

If only Realti came on the vinyl version...

Did the exact same thing!! Can't wait to get it in a few days. Should've bumped off Life in the Vivid Dream over Realiti. It's on the cassette though so that's a plus...

• 4 weeks later...

Finally given Art Angels a proper listen. At first I really wasn't sure, it sounded massively commercial. However 5 or so listens in, it's more accessible than her other records, but it really is very, very good. It's not throwaway pop that the charts is littered with. Seeing her in March, can't wait.

And I liked Visions a lot, but

Welll, to put things in perspective: Grimes put out one of the most critically acclaimed albums of 2012 (it was on nearly every critic's list that year, and its legacy has grown over time).  Visions wound up changing the landscape of both modern pop and electronica and is likely to wind up near the top of most end-of-the-decade-lists.   So it's not like she's an unknown.   And for the record, I like Lana (or at least, I like Ultraviolet) and I'm also no spring chicken (I'm 29).   Also, I'm shocked that Grimes was supposedly bad live.   She is known as a great live performer (and the footage I've seen of her on things like KEXP would indicate as much).

I am not sure I agree on 'changing the landscape of modern pop and electronica' which seems to be overstating it IMO. Especially as I can hear influences of many other sounds being forged into it. Plus the influence of house/EDM/trance of pop has been well under way for quite some time now.

I that said I am loving both LPs in different ways.

• 2 weeks later...

i've heard this LP doesn't sound great. weird that no one posted about it once it came out. anyone have the LP that can comment on the sound quality?

The sound is pretty thin, but I wouldn't say offensively so. Should have probably been a 2LP. Looks like it was a concession they made in order to include all the art prints, which are a very cool addition and make it a worthwhile purchase IMO.