Pro-Ject Elemental vs U-Turn Orbit

I've never tried either, but I'm just looking at future upgrading for you (trust me, you will get to this point). Orbit can be upgraded, the Elemental the most you can do is change the stylus or maybe the cart if you can find one the exact same weight with the same tracking force.

Oh yeah, I get that, and I agree with you, but if I end up wanting to go further, I see a Rega in my future. :)

The elemental had a horrible sound to it. Motor noise was transferred into the signal. No dust cover and an awkward design. The U-turn while not being perfect at least had a good sound to it.

Thanks for the input. Luckily, the store has one hooked up so I can go test it out, might do that this weekend. The good thing is that the U-Turn is the same price no matter what, and I have no doubt I'd be happy with it. 

I vote neither. Grab at least a used Debut III. Both the Elemental and the standard Orbit have way too many compromises to be even worth considering.

I can get a used Debut for 350.00... too much? I suspect it is. 

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649209129-project-debut-iii-silver-w-grado-cart/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the market to upgrade my LP60 and have a similar question as the OP. I am looking at the Orbit Plus and the Debut Carbon. I am leaning toward the Orbit because a local record store carries them and it would be more convenient to just go pick one up. Is there any major reason that i should go for the Debut instead?

I'm in the market to upgrade my LP60 and have a similar question as the OP. I am looking at the Orbit Plus and the Debut Carbon. I am leaning toward the Orbit because a local record store carries them and it would be more convenient to just go pick one up. Is there any major reason that i should go for the Debut instead?

Better arm and anti-skate are about the major differences.

Debut is a better table, but not by leaps and bounds. If you're thinking that you'll want to buy a turntable for several years, go for the Debut. However, if you want to temporarily upgrade for a year or two, and then move on up to the $800-$1500 range (e.g., Rega RP3, Marantz TT15, etc.), then you may as well buy an Orbit for now, enjoy not destroying your records, and then you can probably sell the Orbit for 60-70 percent of full price, and buy sumpin purtier.