What are you Top 10 albums of all time?

Sad Heart

I suck with top ten all time lists.  I'm not well versed in "classic" albums of years past as I focus most attention on mostly modern music.  My "prime music listening years" didn't even start until about 2002 when I was 19.  Most everything prior to that was radio rock crap.

So, in saying that, here are the 10 albums I'd most likely take to a desert island with me, right now.  

Cloudkicker - Subsume (It's younger than 5 years old, but I don't care.  it's my favorite instrumental album, period.  I like it better than Beacons, so I can't go with Beacons)

Deftones - White Pony (I always struggle between this one and Diamond Eyes, but I'll go with White Pony)

Murder By Death - In Bocca Al Lupo (Another band I could choose any of 3-4 of their albums, but this is my favorite start to finish listen)

Muse - Hullabaloo (Probably another no-no because it's a live album, but it's honest to God probably the album I listen to the most.  It's Muse at their best, and the setlist is incredible.  Plus I'm a live album whore, so I have to bring one if it's a desert island)

Russian Circles - Geneva (My post-rock gateway drug and still a favorite of mine)

Dredg - Leitmotif (more raw and seamless than El Cielo)

*Fear Factory - Demanufacture (a friend of mine would jam some FF back in the day and I always loved it...this became the first real heavy album I ever got into

*Taproot - Gift (A friggin Taproot album in someone's top 10?  WTF?  Yeah, I know, but I was obsessed with this album when it came out.  They became the first band I really went all out and searched B-sides and demos for.  Even today when listening to this album, it holds up for me.  Everything after this album was pretty much crap.  It was my favorite of the *gasp* nu-metal era.  I don't care.)

La Dispute - Wildlife (Some say Jordan's lyrics are over the top, but this album blew me away from the first time I heard it.  It still gives me the feels.  I think it's a perfect album and the concept is executed flawlessly.)

Damien Rice - 9 (I'll need some sad bastard music (since Wildlife isn't depressing enough) from an excellent singer/songwriter, so I'm taking my favorite from Damien Rice)

*Exclusively nostalgic picks

Good pick on the Damien Rice. Was the first thing I heard of his as someone had left the cd in the player at work. So I started off a morning shift with it and went to buy my own copy the next afternoon 

Good pick on the Damien Rice. Was the first thing I heard of his as someone had left the cd in the player at work. So I started off a morning shift with it and went to buy my own copy the next afternoon 

Yeah I actually only got into him last year after a friend played a few songs from O randomly.  I had only known The Blower's Daughter (which I never had liked), so I was unaware how good the rest of his catalog was.  Most people seem to like O better, but I personally like 9.

I know a lot of these are going to be cliche, and I'm pretty alright with that. In no particular order:

-The Smiths- Strangeways, Here We Come

-Converge- Jane Doe

-Saves the Day- Through Being Cool

-Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska

-Red House Painters- Songs for a Blue Guitar

-Bon Iver- Bon Iver

-The Gaslight Anthem- '59 Sound

-Disfear- Live the Storm

-Black Sabbath- Master of Reality

-Explosions in the Sky- The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place

I know a lot of these are going to be cliche, and I'm pretty alright with that. In no particular order:

-The Smiths- Strangeways, Here We Come

-Converge- Jane Doe

-Saves the Day- Through Being Cool

-Bruce Springsteen- Nebraska

-Red House Painters- Songs for a Blue Guitar

-Bon Iver- Bon Iver

-The Gaslight Anthem- '59 Sound

-Disfear- Live the Storm

-Black Sabbath- Master of Reality

-Explosions in the Sky- The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place

Solid list. I don't know that I'd have put Strangeways as a Smiths choice personally, but solid all the same.

Solid list. I don't know that I'd have put Strangeways as a Smiths choice personally, but solid all the same.

It was tough to choose between Strangeways and The Queen is Dead, but "Stop Me..." and "Girlfriend in a Coma" are a couple tracks I definitely couldn't live without

I'd go with Strangeways for sure, but it's a tough choice to make.

It's difficult to rank albums now, even though I used to try to do it all the time. Stuff is constantly changing and it's rare that an album really stays with me overtime through a lot of life livin. I'll do my best.

Stnnng- Dignified Sissy

Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue

Caddywhompus - The Weight

The Books - The Lemon Of Pink

The Growlers - Are You In Or Out?

Tobacco - Maniac Meat

The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns And Fifteen Winters

Mr. Oizo - Moustache (Half A Scissor)

Daniel Johnston - 1990

Them, Roaring Twenties - Future Sandwich

That'll probably have to do for now. Good to see The Field gettin some love.

I'm not really a big fan of Pink Floyd either. Nothing really wrong with em, they just don't seem as mind-bendingly awesome as everyone has always said they were.

I never expected to see Them, Roaring Twenties on here. Shit's dope

Not in any particular order-

Weezer - Pinkerton

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Foo Fighters - There Is Nothing Left To Lose

Huey Lewis and the News - Sports

Descendents - Everything Sucks

Mitch Hedberg - Mitch All Together

Blink-182 - Dude Ranch

Green Day - Insomniac

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Bad Hair Day

Weezer - Pinkerton

Blink-182 - Dude Ranch

Green Day - Insomniac

Two interesting choices there: Mitch Hedberg (not even a musical album!) and Foo Fighters. I think you're the first person in the thread to put TINLTL on your list. Great record!

Insomniac is pretty great too. Underrated as hell.

Some great lists on here.  Many more eclectic than mine but I am what I am....I've just spun these more than others in my 20 yrs. of collecting.  Off the top of my head:

Bad Religion-Generator

Dillinger Four-Midwestern Songs

Lawrence Arms-Greatest Story

Face to Face-Self Titled

Hot Water Music-A Flight and A Crash

Megadeth-Rust in Peace

Bob Dylan-MTV Unplugged

Modern Life is War-Witness

Red City Radio-Dangers of Standing Still

Fugazi-Repeater

Two interesting choices there: Mitch Hedberg (not even a musical album!) and Foo Fighters. I think you're the first person in the thread to put TINLTL on your list. Great record!

Insomniac is pretty great too. Underrated as hell.

If it were Strategic Grill Locations you could argue the bass for musicality.

Man....Mitch All Together is great though....I got my copy of that signed by him (I'm not big on autographs/signatures....but I'm glad I got his a few months before he died)

Weezer - Pinkerton

Blink-182 - Dude Ranch

Green Day - Insomniac

Weezer's best album.

My second favorite Foo album. SO fucking close to my favorite. Aurora is one of my favorite Foo tracks ever.

Insomniac is incredibly underrated.

Glad to see 3EB getting some love on here.

That's a damn good list. Mitch is pretty random though. Ducks eat for free at Subway.

These are in no particular order

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Mother's Milk (1989)

Pearl Jam- Ten (1991)

Alice in Chains- Dirt (1992)

Sublime- 40 oz to Freedom (1992)

Stone Temple Pilots- Purple (1994) *its pretty much a tie between this and tiny music...(1997) In my opinion they're both perfect albums by STP

Rage Against the Machine- Evil Empire (1996)

Third Eye Blind- Third Eye Blind (1997)

Dave Matthews Band- Before These Crowded Streets (1998)

Dashboard Confessional- The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most (2001)

Death Cab for Cutie- Plans (2005)

These are in no particular order

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Mother's Milk (1989)

Pearl Jam- Ten (1991)

Alice in Chains- Dirt (1992)

Sublime- 40 oz to Freedom (1992)

Stone Temple Pilots- Purple (1994) *its pretty much a tie between this and tiny music...(1997) In my opinion they're both perfect albums by STP

Rage Against the Machine- Evil Empire (1996)

Third Eye Blind- Third Eye Blind (1997)

Dave Matthews Band- Before These Crowded Streets (1998)

Dashboard Confessional- The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most (2001)

Death Cab for Cutie- Plans (2005)

Nice! Mother's Milk is underrated for sure.

Desert Island in no order:

1. Marilyn Manson - Anti Christ Superstar

2. David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World

3. COIL - Horse Rotorvator

4. Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

5. T. Rex - Slider

6. Foetus - Flow

7. Wendy Rene - After Laughter (2xLP on Light In The Attic)

8. Lee Hazlewood - Trouble Is A Lonesome Town

9. Nilsson Sings Newman

10. Ministry - With Sympathy

It will be hard to do without The Stooges, The Ramones, early Nine Inch Nails, or Depeche Mode, but I'll get by.  

+1 for Richard D James. That guy made new mazes in my mind when I listened to him while tripping

++1 for Maggot Brain..just cause

+++1 for Ween, but why the Mollusk above something like, say, White Pepper or Chocolate & Cheese? I'm always curious what draws people to Ween since it's always a certain different something... 

Yeah, it would be hard for me to do without Black Sabbath, Maggot Brain, or Richard D James.  Especially I Care Because You Do.  I think SABOTAGE might be my desert island if it were on there, or the s/t, but I even like Technical Ecstasy.  I'm not about to start a thread of albums I've listened to on repeat, but BS is on there.    

Your choice of Abbey Road is odd to me. Out of their entire catalog, why that specific album? I've always found Rubber Soul to be bland and uninspired.

Also, why Evil Empire? I'm really curious why you chose this over the legendary, the staple, the Sound City recorded, flawless S/T.

Fuck yes, Bleach.

I've never gotten into the Beatles, but I respect their songwriting.  That said, The White Album has got to be one of the most over-rated albums I can think of.  It's purportedly a concept album, but it sounds like a bunch of thrown together out-takes for the most part.  I guess it inspired Charles Manson and Family, but .....  

Quick side note: How has there not been a thread for this? I know this is first and foremost a vinyl-related forum, but on vinyl there is music. And with music comes opinions. And with opinions come lists.

It's beyond me.

I'm on the same page.  I'm new here, and I got kind of a backlash for doing a similar list in the vinyl section.  It's about and pertaining to vinyl!  Right?