Who here works in a record store?

brandy

me

Yesterday a father and his young (5ish) daughter were in and she was pointing out album covers on the wall asking what they were, like "Why is that baby swimming for money in the water?" or whatever. She eventually pointed out Dead Kennedys Plastic Surgery Disasters and the Dad gave me this look like "wtf am I supposed to say", he just said he would tell her when she is older.

Last friday a guy came back to the store and returned a record because the first side crackled a bit... I love my job, but I hate the people I'm dealing with.

This happens to me a lot as well.

But thankfully I meet more nice people than idiots! Perhaps I'm helped by the fact that I work only twice a week there, so I don't get tooooo sick of it.

I absolutely find it hilarious when people totally oblivious to records come in and are like 'wow these discs still exist!', or like 'are these laser discs??'

And I get totally annoyed whenever older people come in and say something snobbish like 'all you kids only listen to digital music nowadays'...

One time, on the night before Rex Manning day, I heard that my store was going to be consumed by a chain store. In an effort to save the store I took that day's cash to Atlantic City to try and win enough to save the store, but I lost it all. Stupid dice.

How much alcohol was involved with this decision? :P

Mostly 'Merican music or foreign stuff from that area?

Mostly American/British/mainstream stuff.

The standard dad-rock stuff from the 70s, Beatles, 80s new wave, pop, and then there's indie/mainstream titles from today as well. The basic stuff such as The Black Keys, Ellie Goulding, The Arcade Fire, Arctic Monkeys, Jack White etc.

I wish there was more punk/hardcore/metal stuff  :angry:

I used to work at Cheapo records in Uptown MPLS, 2003-ish. Working on mixing the day's three shopping carts worth of used cds into stock when Prince and his then wife walked in and browsed for a good half hour. Got to ring him up and everything. He is very tiny.

Other than that, I always worked the closing shift(4-midnight), so there was always fucking drunk idiots trying to sell obviously stolen music/movies.

Didn't pay for music for as long as I worked there, though. Almost made up for the 6.50/hr.