Out Now: Somos - First Day Back

CVHX

The "rock" songs on here are okay but the ones that are just vocals and drum machine sound really out of place and aren't good on their own merit. Three of those types of songs that don't go anywhere for two minutes plus the second to last song that's just one guitar and vocals run through a fake lo-fi filter leaves seven songs that would have made for a passable mini-LP. I like "Thorn in the Side" a lot, but the album takes a steep decline in the second half. I feel like Somos was shooting for the "mature pop punk album" but I don't think they've built up a strong enough fan base to stick with them for something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all, I'm really feeling this album after it grew on me, and I'm planning on picking up a copy. It looks like it'll be about $23 ppd from MerchNow, but I wanted to off up to anyone who bought it and doesn't like it to take a slight loss and sell it to me for the same ppd price. Just PM me if you're interested. I'll wait a few days and place an order if nobody shouts out. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I just may go for a black. Does the vinyl have any more punch than the mp3s? I know the production is largely responsible for the lack of that but I'm hoping the vinyl doesn't just sound flat.

Yeah, it's definitely a good sounding record. I'm almost certain Hopeless took the effort and mastered it for vinyl. I'm spinning it now as I put away laundry haha. There is no matrix info on side A for some reason either, but it's a good pressing with no pops which is really great during those quiet/ambient type tracks.

Yeah, it's definitely a good sounding record. I'm almost certain Hopeless took the effort and mastered it for vinyl. I'm spinning it now as I put away laundry haha. There is no matrix info on side A for some reason either, but it's a good pressing with no pops which is really great during those quiet/ambient type tracks.

Thanks so much, man. I'm looking forward to getting it that much more now.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Agreed that I enjoyed this one more than the last record. Anybody know if they have an LP in the works/on the horizon?

I could've sworn they announced an indefinite hiatus like... a year ago? So this new song is pretty out of left field as far as I'm concerned.

I'm in the small margin of people who didn't dislike the last LP. It was certainly not the follow up I wanted after Temple of Plenty but I got some enjoyment out of it. The new song still isn't scratching my ToP itch but it's pretty good.

9 hours ago, dantheriver said:

I could've sworn they announced an indefinite hiatus like... a year ago? So this new song is pretty out of left field as far as I'm concerned.

I'm in the small margin of people who didn't dislike the last LP. It was certainly not the follow up I wanted after Temple of Plenty but I got some enjoyment out of it. The new song still isn't scratching my ToP itch but it's pretty good.

I think it was called an "extended hiatus and not something permanent".