Pressing Mistake Mystery!

Has anyone ever had the experience of buying a record, playing it, and it was not the music of the band listed on the album jacket or vinyl itself?

I recently purchased a copy of the Peace'd Out 10' from Hot topic online. 

When I played the record, the band that was playing was not Peace'd out. It is 3 strange Icelandic-Bjork sounding inde songs. I can't tell what the lyrics are, and the shazam and ask google apps on my phone could not identify any of the songs.The labels on the record and the etching were correct for Peace'd Out. 

I recorded a video of the pressing "mistake" and put it on You Tube. 

As a comparison, the link below is to the actual Peac'd Out music:

I was surprised / perplexed about the entire thing, so I emailed the label that put it out, Sound the Siren Records. The owner had no idea why that would be the case, and did not hear of this happening with any other copies, so it is likely a one off mistake (?) from Pirate Press. It's a mystery!

I contacted Hot topic about a refund, and they offered one, only if I would return the mistake pressing. My wife and I have enjoyed the mystery of this record and did not want to send it back. It has been fun to hypothesize about what happened when pressing this record and creating a back story for the music. I ended up buying another copy from Hot Topic.This time the record has the music of Peace'd Out on it! 

My question to the forum is:

• Has anyone had this experience before?
  • Can anyone help identify what the band playing is on the "mistake" copy? 

Thanks

Can't watch the videos, but are you playing it at the right speed.

That was one of the first things I tried. When I change speeds from 33 to 45 rpm. the odd vocals become more chipmunk like, making me think 45 rpm that is the wrong speed. Regardless, it still sounds nothing like Peace'd out. 

That was one of the first things I tried. When I change speeds from 33 to 45 rpm. the odd vocals become more chipmunk like, making me think 45 rpm that is the wrong speed. Regardless, it still sounds nothing like Peace'd out.

Wow! One of those rare moments when 1st post OP comes back to participate!

Nice to see and a neat find.

My question to the forum is:

• Can anyone help identify what the band playing is on the "mistake" copy? 

i got sidetracked at work today and, confident in my musical sleuthing skills, thought i could identify the band. nope. spent an hour on it before i gave up. i was able to find some similar sounding artists if anyone is interested (kira kira, noahsamaris, owsey, pascal pinon) but couldn't make a direct match.

i got sidetracked at work today and, confident in my musical sleuthing skills, thought i could identify the band. nope. spent an hour on it before i gave up. i was able to find some similar sounding artists if anyone is interested (kira kira, noahsamaris, owsey, pascal pinon) but couldn't make a direct match.

Thanks for taking a stab at this. You got farther along then I have at this point.  Many of those artists have a similar vibe / sound to whatever is on the mispress. 

What is the matrix info from the dead wax?

Good Question. There is no matrix info on side A because of the etching. Since I have both the correct pressing and the mispress, I posted both:

Correct Pressing:

• Pirates Press - SIREN007B
  • 102497F2/A

Mispress:

• 102497F2/A
  • CR20681 A (written by hand)
  • SST (written by hand, but could be SSR)
  • k-(written by hand. This could be a scratch)

I will have to do some searching on the mispress record to see if I can turn anything up. 

Good Question. There is no matrix info on side A because of the etching. Since I have both the correct pressing and the mispress, I posted both:

Correct Pressing:

• 102497F2/A

Mispress:

• 102497F2/A
  • CR20681 A (written by hand)
  • SST (written by hand, but could be SSR)
  • k-(written by hand. This could be a scratch)

I will have to do some searching on the mispress record to see if I can turn anything up. 

Try shooting an email to pirates press.