ekorz

PO: Matthew Good Band back catalog

I'm surprised a Canadian board member hasn't posted this, but here goes.  Matthew Good Band (MGB) went under the US radar nearly entirely, though they were very well known up north.  So if you're ouside Canada they would be considered a "hidden gem" I suppose.  Matt Good is issuing 5 records that were never released on vinyl, and it's just fantastic to finally have them available for purchase.  One LP is from Matt Good's solo career, 3 LPs are from MGB, and the last one is an EP from the MGB years.

http://www.matthewgood.org/news/2015/12/7/five-remastered-records-to-be-released-on-vinyl

Release Jan 15, 2016.

If you've never heard of this band, but like alt-rock, do yourself a favor and youtube some clips.  Accessible radio-friendly entries are Hello Time Bomb, Anti-Pop, or Load Me Up, but worth checking out Prime Time Deliverance or Avalanche for his slower side.  He's got 20+ years of music so the well is very very deep.  Any of my friends who've picked him up have pretty much bought up everything he's written.

OMG!!!

Thank you for posting this!

I'm from the U.S. and I've been listening to MG/MGB since the music video for Hello Time Bomb came out. I saw him once in Montreal but he never plays in the U.S.

I've always considered Beautiful Midnight to be one of the greatest (and most underappreciated) rock albums of the 90s. Without your post I totally wouldn't have known it's getting released on vinyl next month; just preordered it!

Need an Avalanche repress badly. I know it's his solo work, but still slightly related. The only ones to sell on Discogs have gone for way above what I'd be willing to pay.

Avalanche is also the one I'm waiting on. I've seen used copies for +$100 but that's a little too rich for my blood for a non-essential album in my collection. 

I'll grab beautiful midnight and underdogs if I find them for a decent price. Much Music made sure I know at least 3 singles off each...

Avalanche is also the one I'm waiting on. I've seen used copies for +$100 but that's a little too rich for my blood for a non-essential album in my collection.

I'll grab beautiful midnight and underdogs if I find them for a decent price. Much Music made sure I know at least 3 singles off each...

Yeah, I wouldn't pay more than retail for it by any means. It is a killer album though.

so did underdogs, hospital and astronauts.

might grab underdogs, but how low can they go?

It only took two years, but a bunch more records from the MG/MGB catalogue are being pressed.

Per Matt's Instagram, in spring 2018 we will see Lo-Fi B-Sides/Loser Anthems, Audio of Being, and  repress of Avalanche.

Edited by Subdomestic