I just found this thread on the Drowned in Sound music board today. The thread has one response in which a person rates the main LP reissuers (see following list).

Could anyone weigh in on whether they agree with or disagree with these ratings--and why? I was looking at some Plain Recordings LPs over on acousticsounds.com today, but I definitely want no part of them if they are going to be average or poor. 

Quality is very dependant on the label in charge of the reissue. Here are a couple of examples that come to mind:

Usually Very Good: 
Music on Vinyl 
Rhino 
Light in the Attic 
Numero Group

Average to Good: 
Back to Black 
Major label reissues

Usually Very Poor: 
Plain Recordings 
4 Men with Beards 
Back on Black

I don't know if it's fair to have Back on Black in the "usually very poor" category.  I know that their earlier releases are notoriously bad, but most of the more recent BoB reissues I own are somewhere between good and great.  Seems like they sorta turned their act around starting in 2008 or so - although I'm sure not everything they put out is gold

On the other hand, I agree 100% with Rhino in the "usually very good" category, their Black Sabbath reissues in particular are amazing

Agreed that a 'Major Label' group is too general.

Whilst MoV releases belong in the Usually Very Good group, I have found their customer service when problems do occur to be very poor. That said problems don't occur that often.

Example: Faith No More - Angel Dust

This had a tiny 'wobble' (good description when you hear it) in one track. Replacements were pressed. They did not send them out to stores; they didn't even tell stores that there was a problem (certainly not in the UK). When you got in touch with them to try and get replacements, they wouldn't pay your shipping (first rule of good customer service - when you make a mistake, you pay for it) to send the item to them and the general demeanour of their communication was dismissive and arrogant.

When their Rage Against The Machine - Self Titled colour press turned out to be faulty, buyers were lucky that it was exclusive to one seller as that meant they had a point of complaint that was not MoV. A repress on another colour was forthcoming.

I think Plain should have their own group 'Complete Pot Luck'.

I just found this thread on the Drowned in Sound music board today. The thread has one response in which a person rates the main LP reissuers (see following list).

Could anyone weigh in on whether they agree with or disagree with these ratings--and why? I was looking at some Plain Recordings LPs over on acousticsounds.com today, but I definitely want no part of them if they are going to be average or poor. 

Quality is very dependant on the label in charge of the reissue. Here are a couple of examples that come to mind:

Usually Very Good: 

Music on Vinyl 

Rhino 

Light in the Attic 

Numero Group

Average to Good: 

Back to Black 

Major label reissues

Usually Very Poor: 

Plain Recordings 

4 Men with Beards 

Back on Black

I agree with most of this list but not with Music On Vinyl. They usually put the most effort into getting the best resolution picture files (artwork) but the sound quality is very poor, at least on every metal record I have had from them (just download some Dream Theater vinyl rips to get an idea).

edit: also, people, dont mix Back To Black and Back On Black, completely different things.

edit nr 2: judging by the sound quality, Rhino re-issues should cost about 50 USD like those other audiophile re-issues, but they dont mainly because they are backed up by a huge record company. Every Rhino re-issue I have sound amazing (John Coltrane, Pantera, Ministry, Joni Mitchell, The Doors, Ornette Coleman, Ray Charles, Love etc)

I think the problem with MoV's packaging is that the records are free to slide around as they don't seal them tightly. I've had many small seam splits in their sleeves on records I've bought brand new.

Looks a bit like I'm picking on MoV, but it's just that I have more experience of them than the others. Over here we don't have to pay through the nose to import them and I've never owned a 4MWB records as I heard about them on here first.

I think the problem with MoV's packaging is that the records are free to slide around as they don't seal them tightly. I've had many small seam splits in their sleeves on records I've bought brand new.

Looks a bit like I'm picking on MoV, but it's just that I have more experience of them than the others. Over here we don't have to pay through the nose to import them and I've never owned a 4MWB records as I heard about them on here first.

They use polylined inner sleeves and their outer sleeves (gatefolds) are not that tight, so thats why its not a very good idea to buy these from the internet. I have bought all my copies from a local record store since they always use couriers and records are in huge boxes.