SAETIA - "Collected" 2xLP coming Spring 2016.

for those who aren't following the City Of thread..

PO SOON I IMAGINE

also today deathwish put up these... available now

http://store.deathwishinc.com/product/SV011-5cs.html

“This limited cassette tape features the live recording that was tacked on at the end of “A Retrospective" CD released on Level Plane Records 15 years ago. We wanted to keep the “Collected” LP pure with studio recordings only, so we decided to make this limited cassette with those live songs so they aren’t completely left out. Pressed on a Raekwon purple shell.”

Track Listing:
01. The Poet You Never Were (Live)
02. Ariadne’s Thread (Live)
03. Nôtres Langues Nous Trompent (Live)
04. The Sweetness and The Light (Live)
05. Endymion (Live)

In the meantime...get a cassette of their live show at ABC No Rio:

http://store.deathwishinc.com/product/SV011-5cs.html

“This limited cassette tape features the live recording that was tacked on at the end of “A Retrospective" CD released on Level Plane Records 15 years ago. We wanted to keep the “Collected” LP pure with studio recordings only, so we decided to make this limited cassette with those live songs so they aren’t completely left out. Pressed on a Raekwon purple shell.”

Track Listing:
01. The Poet You Never Were (Live)
02. Ariadne’s Thread (Live)
03. Nôtres Langues Nous Trompent (Live)
04. The Sweetness and The Light (Live)
05. Endymion (Live)

I am so torn on this. On the one hand, I loved them as a teenager. On the other hand, there is no happy here.

haha.  I feel you.

I am one of the 9 people who own this ..  http://www.discogs.com/Saetia-Saetia/release/4020938

and I still am going to buy this new version.

duhhhh for me

City of Caterpillar holds up soooooooooooo much better than Saetia. Saetia makes me cringe now. CoC sounds as fresh as the day it came out.

Agreed 100%. Saetia was notoriously horrible live, yet monumentally influential. CoC killed it from day one. Either way, it's good to see this getting out into people's hands again.

My "best" screamo bands because its one of my favorite genres and had a huge influence on me as a kid. I love a lot of the smaller bands but for me this is the stuff that really transcended the genre. As important and amazing as stuff like CoC, Jerome's Dream, Raein, La Quiete, and Sed Non Satiata are these other guys are on the highest level. I'll indulge myself and list my favs:  

Comadre- Soooooo good. A band that has changed with every album. Their more classic stuff is mind blowing, and then the 1-2 punch of A Wolf Ticket and Self Titled is almost too much. The world was a better place with Comadre, even if Jack Shirley is on to bigger and better things in the eyes of the mainstream. They may not be as "serious" as any of the other bands on this list but Comadre are unequaled in doing what they do, both their earlier brand of skramz which verged on hardcore and their later more experimental stuff. 

Ampere- Undisputed masters of the short screamo song. I know Will Killingsworth is busy these days with recording and being an adult so how intricate their 30 second songs are isn't the only contributing factor to how long it takes them to put out an album, but still they cram so much riffing and technicality into seconds of time Ampere has to be one of the most unique bands around. Like Shadows ruled too. Crazy talent. 

Beau Navire- The best band doing that "old school" sound. Hours and Lumens....yeah, enough said. 

Loma Prieta- Became one of the best bands in the scene with Last City. Reestablished themselves as one of the best bands on Deathwish with IV. They've gone away into a differnet sound with the last one but Loma always deserves a nod for Last City. It was the only screamo record of 2008 to really blow my mind after Kidcrash Jokes in '07, and one of the reasons is because it draws so heavily on that album before it, especially how the songs transition.

Off Minor- Best of the oldies. Better than Hot Cross even for ex-Saetia members. Hot Cross really deserves a nod for pioneering the "pull on/pull off" guitar parts in punk, being tons of fun to listen to, and adding some really cool original stuff to their songs, but for the sake of space I'll focus on Off Minor, who are ultimately the more subtle and artistic of the two IMO. Because man, nobody has done it like Off Minor to this day. Harder to get into but by far the most talented instrumentally of any older screamo band. All their albums are similar but expand on the style brilliantly, and all are masterpieces, and Some Blood might even be the best despite being the shortest. The bass/guitar interplay is so crazy. 

Daitro- Newer than Off Minor but still pretty old. Man who could ever beat these guys? I don't really subscribe to the importance of being "true" to your scene but nobody is "truer" than Daitro for what its worth considering they told Geoff Rickly to go fuck himself when he tried to get them to tour with Thursday (sorry Geoff you didn't deserve that, you're awesome). But the vocalist in this band is seriously the best screamo vocalist of all time. All their albums are 10/10 gold and their splits harbor some of their best tracks as well. Epic, beautiful, passionate, and instrumentally perfect, especially the drums, which seamlessly blend their different ideas together. 

And last but honestly the best: 

Kidcrash- These guys basically took every style of emo from the last decade and combined into a swirling orgasm of sound with Jokes. The album takes a little while to grow accustomed to because its pretty impenetrable at first, but once you hear the songs a few times they cease to be "collections of cool riffs" and instead bloom into these brilliantly epic songs that are NOTHING if not well written. There are so many peaks and valleys to that album, so many "oh shit" moments, so many brilliantly interwoven guitar parts (really the end game expansion on what Off Minor does, they sound like one instrument they are so intricate and playful....) and of course, the drumming the drumming the drumming, which takes everything Daitro does and makes it even better, instead of constantly complimenting and changing the song structures the drums instead lead the songs full force, allowing the band to segue into new section and over and over again with a naturalness to them that makes everything sound so organic, although obv they rehearsed these songs to death (Jokes was originally all one long song if you can fucking believe that....) 

Naps and Snacks are both 10/10 records too, but Jokes is basically the first album to really do something new in Emo in forever, 7 years later nobody has really made anything that compares, and nobody has made anything that pushes the genre in the same way. The music on that record is truly a product of all the screamo that comes before it but is honestly timeless IMO. Jokes has to be one of the most critically revered albums of all time (everyone who is into the genre and will put the time into comes away with 10/10 masterpiece as a response) but for the average listener it is just too much. Alex Gaziano is an absolute genius, its no wonder his amp company Science has done so well for itself. 

My "best" screamo bands because its one of my favorite genres and had a huge influence on me as a kid. I love a lot of the smaller bands but for me this is the stuff that really transcended the genre. As important and amazing as stuff like CoC, Jerome's Dream, Raein, La Quiete, and Sed Non Satiata are these other guys are on the highest level. I'll indulge myself and list my favs:

Comadre- Soooooo good. A band that has changed with every album. Their more classic stuff is mind blowing, and then the 1-2 punch of A Wolf Ticket and Self Titled is almost too much. The world was a better place with Comadre, even if Jack Shirley is on to bigger and better things in the eyes of the mainstream. They may not be as "serious" as any of the other bands on this list but Comadre are unequaled in doing what they do, both their earlier brand of skramz which verged on hardcore and their later more experimental stuff.

Ampere- Undisputed masters of the short screamo song. I know Will Killingsworth is busy these days with recording and being an adult so how intricate their 30 second songs are isn't the only contributing factor to how long it takes them to put out an album, but still they cram so much riffing and technicality into seconds of time Ampere has to be one of the most unique bands around. Like Shadows ruled too. Crazy talent.

Beau Navire- The best band doing that "old school" sound. Hours and Lumens....yeah, enough said.

Loma Prieta- Became one of the best bands in the scene with Last City. Reestablished themselves as one of the best bands on Deathwish with IV. They've gone away into a differnet sound with the last one but Loma always deserves a nod for Last City. It was the only screamo record of 2008 to really blow my mind after Kidcrash Jokes in '07, and one of the reasons is because it draws so heavily on that album before it, especially how the songs transition.

Off Minor- Best of the oldies. Better than Hot Cross even for ex-Saetia members. Hot Cross really deserves a nod for pioneering the "pull on/pull off" guitar parts in punk, being tons of fun to listen to, and adding some really cool original stuff to their songs, but for the sake of space I'll focus on Off Minor, who are ultimately the more subtle and artistic of the two IMO. Because man, nobody has done it like Off Minor to this day. Harder to get into but by far the most talented instrumentally of any older screamo band. All their albums are similar but expand on the style brilliantly, and all are masterpieces, and Some Blood might even be the best despite being the shortest. The bass/guitar interplay is so crazy.

Daitro- Newer than Off Minor but still pretty old. Man who could ever beat these guys? I don't really subscribe to the importance of being "true" to your scene but nobody is "truer" than Daitro for what its worth considering they told Geoff Rickly to go fuck himself when he tried to get them to tour with Thursday (sorry Geoff you didn't deserve that, you're awesome). But the vocalist in this band is seriously the best screamo vocalist of all time. All their albums are 10/10 gold and their splits harbor some of their best tracks as well. Epic, beautiful, passionate, and instrumentally perfect, especially the drums, which seamlessly blend their different ideas together.

And last but honestly the best:

Kidcrash- These guys basically took every style of emo from the last decade and combined into a swirling orgasm of sound with Jokes. The album takes a little while to grow accustomed to because its pretty impenetrable at first, but once you hear the songs a few times they cease to be "collections of cool riffs" and instead bloom into these brilliantly epic songs that are NOTHING if not well written. There are so many peaks and valleys to that album, so many "oh shit" moments, so many brilliantly interwoven guitar parts (really the end game expansion on what Off Minor does, they sound like one instrument they are so intricate and playful....) and of course, the drumming the drumming the drumming, which takes everything Daitro does and makes it even better, instead of constantly complimenting and changing the song structures the drums instead lead the songs full force, allowing the band to segue into new section and over and over again with a naturalness to them that makes everything sound so organic, although obv they rehearsed these songs to death (Jokes was originally all one long song if you can fucking believe that....)

Naps and Snacks are both 10/10 records too, but Jokes is basically the first album to really do something new in Emo in forever, 7 years later nobody has really made anything that compares, and nobody has made anything that pushes the genre in the same way. The music on that record is truly a product of all the screamo that comes before it but is honestly timeless IMO. Jokes has to be one of the most critically revered albums of all time (everyone who is into the genre and will put the time into comes away with 10/10 masterpiece as a response) but for the average listener it is just too much. Alex Gaziano is an absolute genius, its no wonder his amp company Science has done so well for itself.

I feel cool for having (digital) albums from

all these bands. All downloaded in high school probably.

• 3 months later...