The Weezer Thread

I have been very fortunate to see these guys many many times in concert going back 15+ years now. Is there a consensus here among folks as to their "best" tour and how does the Blue album rank compared to said tour?  In my own personal humble opinion, one show that stands out big time in memory for myself was their 2008 stint for the Red album. This show was also outdoors so not sure if that had something to do with the experience. 

Also I feel obligated to inform everyone that it is in fact radio-mainstream-pop. Wouldn't even throw in the word "rock" to describe this at all. "Jacked Up" was easily my least fav cut off the White album, for the simply fact that it sounded very poppy. But, at least for a short time, in that track, I heard some guitar and a lil-weezeresque sound. But this? nothing like the Weezer I love..

I mean my wife couldn't even recognize who this was when I played it. She said "at first I thought it was Weezer but then I was like no way this is them." Well, think again!! :/

Edited by ethanpricington

11 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Also I feel obligated to inform everyone that it is in fact radio-mainstream-pop. Wouldn't even throw in the word "rock" to describe this at all. "Jacked Up" was easily my least fav cut off the White album, for the simply fact that it sounded very poppy. But, at least for a short time, in that track, I heard some guitar and a lil-weezeresque sound. But this? nothing like the Weezer I love..

I mean my wife couldn't even recognize who this was when I played it. She said "at first I thought it was Weezer but then I was like no way this is them." Well, think again!! :/

I didn't like Jacked Up as much at first because it didn't sound like Weezer to me, but it quickly grew on me and became one of my favorites off that album.

1 hour ago, ARCHIVED COLLECTIBLES said:

I have been very fortunate to see these guys many many times in concert going back 15+ years now. Is there a consensus here among folks as to their "best" tour and how does the Blue album rank compared to said tour?  In my own personal humble opinion, one show that stands out big time in memory for myself was their 2008 stint for the Red album. This show was also outdoors so not sure if that had something to do with the experience. 

I saw them at Riot Fest 2014 in Denver and they played all of their singles and the blue album front to back. It was pretty cool but I had a terrible spot in the crowd and couldn't hear so well. It was also outdoors and I saw a shooting star while they played Buddy Holly 

Wow. This track is atrocious. Like I said, some of the b-sides from White confirmed that he is still writing terrible songs- they just left them off the final track listing for the last two records. This isn't even weird bad, like Thank God for Girls. This is boring, simple, just-waiting-to-be-remixed-by-some-EDM-DJ bad.

(Jacked Up is great. Catchy, slightly dark despite being poppy, and doesn't overstay it's welcome.)

On 3/14/2017 at 10:42 PM, Freewheelin said:

Are the MFSL pressings of blue and Pinkerton worthy upgrades over other pressings.?

cheers.

Heard from a little birdy that the Vinyl Me, Please exclusive version of Pinkerton used the MFSL plates. Could be a good way to get the same pressing for far less, assuming you're a member.

Now if they could only do this for Blue

One more quick comment for those of us who use Tidal and haven't yet heard White. Looks like Tidal's hosting the Master, but you have to use your computer's browser to access it. My guess is they've gone above their usual  "Hi-Fi" 16/44 and done something truly Hi-Res this time. Worth looking into, if you can. Seems tonight's shift will be starting at Blue and moving forward through the discography as far as my coworkers can tolerate.

Yeah, that song sucks.  Guess it's back to the old Weezer...  and not Old Weezer as in early Weezer, but old Weezer as in shitty Weezer.

Seems like that whole sentiment of forgetting who your fans were and deciding to pick up your guitars and rock again was all a shtick.  Kinda wish they'd stick to that one instead of the Let's-Be-Like-Coldplay one where they try to be relevant to people that don't give a shit.