The Weezer Thread

On 3/17/2017 at 0:08 AM, richardsurf said:

My friend, comedian Matt Harbert, and I tried to unpack and make sense of "Feels Like Summer" on my podcast. If you don't have time to listen, my one-line review is "It sounds like a Maroon 5 song written for a baseball video game."

http://www.surfacenoisepod.com/episode-11

No one cares but we recorded a sequel to this Feels Like New Weezer sub-podcast for 'Mexican Fender' and posted it today.

https://www.acast.com/surfacenoise/feelslikenewweezer-2?autoplay

51 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

No one cares but we recorded a sequel to this Feels Like New Weezer sub-podcast for 'Mexican Fender' and posted it today.

https://www.acast.com/surfacenoise/feelslikenewweezer-2?autoplay

Good stuff here.

Fully agree that although I didn't like "Feels Like Summer" at all, "Mexican Fender" had some likable qualities that hopefully will make it similar to how I felt about TGFG once the entire White Album dropped - a brief detour from the overall albums feel sonically. 

That said, I'm not encouraged considering we already have two singles that I'm not crazy about. At least when DYWGH was released it gave me a lot of faith. 

24 minutes ago, ethanpricington said:

Good stuff here.

Fully agree that although I didn't like "Feels Like Summer" at all, "Mexican Fender" had some likable qualities that hopefully will make it similar to how I felt about TGFG once the entire White Album dropped - a brief detour from the overall albums feel sonically. 

That said, I'm not encouraged considering we already have two singles that I'm not crazy about. At least when DYWGH was released it gave me a lot of faith. 

Thanks for checking it out! :)

Has a track listing for the album been announced? My co-host Dan dropped the twist on me late in the conversation that Feels Like Summer might be a single for the Black Album, rather than single #1 from Pacific Daydream. That sounds too dumb/confusing to be true but this is Weezer, so  who knows.

51 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

Thanks for checking it out! :)

Has a track listing for the album been announced? My co-host Dan dropped the twist on me late in the conversation that Feels Like Summer might be a single for the Black Album, rather than single #1 from Pacific Daydream. That sounds too dumb/confusing to be true but this is Weezer, so  who knows.

feels like summer is on pacific daydream. that and Mexican fender are the only two song titles released so far.

2 minutes ago, jrodan said:

feels like summer is on pacific daydream. that and Mexican fender are the only two song titles released so far.

That is good news. I want all of Rivers' silly pop frankensteins to be concentrated on one album. Hopefully, the Black Album will be closer to Do You Wanna Get High's darker, more serious tone and be absent of any song whose chorus is "summer oooo summer ooo".

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, psus2h said:

Rivers is a wonderful song writer, no doubt, but his focus is all over the map.  I almost feel like some of this poppy stuff should be released under his name or a different band name and the Weezer we all love under Weezer.  Such a let down after Everything & White.

I think we assume his loyalty is to the nerdy rock that we all love since he gained success with it first and it doesn't sound god awful but I think you're correct that he is just a dude who writes a ton of songs in various genres.

He's also like Dr. Manhattan or Bran from GoT where they'll do something great that helps humanity and, as they're being congratulated, their eyes glaze over and you realize they didn't do that thing to help you. It was just coincidental that helping humans/writing a good album happened to sync with whatever their soulless, hyper-intellectual plan was at that time. Pacific Daydream or the allowance of Earth's destruction is just around the corner.

Edited by richardsurf

13 hours ago, richardsurf said:

Dear Lord. This is the worst one yet.

I really hope he is concentrating all these kinds of pop abominations onto one album and that the black album will be continuing from White/EWBAITE. Pray for us all.

Yep. Lacks anything melodically. At least the other two singles I was able to find at least ONE THING i enjoyed... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/3/2017 at 8:24 AM, lethalenforcer said:

Thanks! A solid price for this record considering the Weezer store is $29 after shipping :huh:

Outside of Feels Like Summer, I've dug every song released. I already expect it to be worse than White Album, but, Weezer makes enjoyable music for my ears and I am excited to throw sand in my basement and make my friends wear Leis when they come over at the end of October to hear this summer record.

• 2 weeks later...

It's like if Rivers Cuomo and Beck both got the same prompt to make a party/fun album and one of them went and put together this fun collage of classic pop melodies and sounds and the other plastered a few semi-interesting vocal melodies over thin, undercooked songs. It feels in the same world but opposite ends on the spectrum of quality.