The Weezer Thread

29 minutes ago, richardsurf said:

It's like if Rivers Cuomo and Beck both got the same prompt to make a party/fun album and one of them went and put together this fun collage of classic pop melodies and sounds and the other plastered a few semi-interesting vocal melodies over thin, undercooked songs. It feels in the same world but opposite ends on the spectrum of quality.

I see PD humourously, so I can pretend to be cool and like it in an ironic hipster kind of way. I think it's totally terrible in a great way.

Beck well I've only listened to Colors, and I felt like it should go back to the late 80s where it belongs :|

• 2 weeks later...

I think this summary from this Drowned in Sound review nails it:

Weezer albums are now well known for containing at least handful of hilarious calamities. But the real crimes on Pacific Daydream are songs which are so vague that they don’t inspire any reaction whatsoever. This is a new low. As abominable as acts of self-sabotage like ‘Beverly Hills’ and ‘Can’t Stop Partying’ were, they at least contained a sense of spectacle; our mouths agape at how Rivers could have the sheer nerve to piss on his reputation like this. The awfulness of this record is bound up in its sheer featurelessness. With at least half of these songs, there is almost nothing to say, nothing to be baffled by, nothing to argue about, and for that sad, whimpering reason, Pacific Daydream can probably be called Weezer’s worst album.

And the Spin review is less succinct and serious but very funny:

The heavy reliance on reverb and drum machines mixed with Rivers’ blithe, empty lyrics paint an eerie picture of a band that studied pop music for years but never left the house.