VC Round-Up // EU Group Buy [3 - Meniscus?]

3 hours ago, omik11303 said:

@drds89 @mrewest @Dave Grohl @pemulis @wisdom81 @The Butcha @abovetheearth

Tagging to gauge interest.

I'll check it out for sure. About to go on a vacation so haven't been spending much on records lately. 

Let me know on a cost whenever you guys get this together. After listening, I may be in. 

Edited by The Butcha

For anyone interested, it looks like we have 5 committed buyers and a handful of maybes at the moment.  I don't foresee us having more than 10 buyers in total.  The breakdown from that webstore is pretty interesting – look below for specific price differentiation.  Looks like it's cheaper to avoid 6 or 7 buyers if we can.  (All prices shown are before stateside shipping, which should be $3.22 or so.)

5 buyers – $39.18 each.

6 buyers – $42.54 each.

7 buyers – $40.93 each.

8 buyers – $39.74 each.

9 buyers – $38.80 each.

10 buyers – $38.06 each.

13 hours ago, Derek™ said:

We just need Don and we basically have the quintessential post-rock groupbuy squad of the members I typically buy stuff with.

Anyone have any idea on how limited that purple variant is, or how many are in stock?  I'd like to get this done sooner than later, whenever we're all ready.

Refraction:

Purple /200

Black /300

17 hours ago, Derek™ said:

So out the door, Refractions is about $48 PPD for US customers.

If the 3 of us (so far) committed to a buy, we'd have it down to $40.60 or so.  Plus $3 Media Mail here in the states, to get them to each of us. Not terribly shabby for only 3 buyers.  Eager to see the reductions for additional interest.

I have some other guys as well on Facebook who want a bunch of stuff...  one dude might get 4 albums.  Plus my "Refractions" on purple. 

So.... it's a little murky.  A Thousand Arms said they will get copies, but from the band.... but not for a good while.  I talked to Wout and these were his responses:

Hi Greg, I'm not sure if Meniscus will make it to the US. I'm focussing on getting it in my store asap and will then look into the options with A Thousand Arms. Although I'm pretty sure he'll want to offer those as well.  I'll have to see how fast they go here. Depending on that I can send a batch of those to A Thousand Arms or not.  If you could set up a group order with some friends that would most of all be handy for you to split shipping costs right? War of Currents will be available too!

What do you guys make of that?  I would prefer, obviously, to just get them from A Thousand Arms.  But the timeline on that is unclear.  I also don't want to miss the purple Refractions, or War of Currents in general. 

So I have a buddy on FB who wants:  Refractions (purple), War of Currents, WLTS - TQPOE and Crimea.  And I'm getting Refractions on Purple.  So there's 5 more records right there to bring the price point down. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

9 hours ago, pemulis said:

Definitely would, but I live in 'stralia these days. Shipping from Dunk to Aus is dumb; so, I've been sending all my records to a friend in LA for safe keeping. 

The band has their own copies which will be up on Bandcamp at some point.  They said they had a bunch shipped to them back home when i spoke with them at Dunk. 

That sounds good to me.  I think we should be able to get the price down pretty nicely unless we hit a really weird shipping threshold (see: 6 or 7 total, above).  Whatever the case, though, if Fizio's numbers are correct, and only 200 purple were pressed, we should get the ball rolling very soon.  Of those 200, I'm sure a lot are being sold through other avenues.  And since you can add 200+ to the cart, the stock isn't being reserved or updated in real time.  I'd like to avoid ordering 7-8 and finding out that they only have 4 in stock.

22 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

That sounds good to me.  I think we should be able to get the price down pretty nicely unless we hit a really weird shipping threshold (see: 6 or 7 total, above).  Whatever the case, though, if Fizio's numbers are correct, and only 200 purple were pressed, we should get the ball rolling very soon.  Of those 200, I'm sure a lot are being sold through other avenues.  And since you can add 200+ to the cart, the stock isn't being reserved or updated in real time.  I'd like to avoid ordering 7-8 and finding out that they only have 4 in stock.

I can ask Wout to hold 10 for us?  I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing that.  But yeah, I agree... we need to act on this.  I don't know what the breakdown was of how many Dunk got vs. how many the band got, because the band has been selling their own, and also had some shipped to Australia as well. 

I'll message Wout and see what he says, and maybe make Monday the deadline?  Derek, do you mind getting a total tally together of everybody so far? 

Edited by Gumbo72203

10 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I can ask Wout to hold 10 for us?  I'm sure he wouldn't mind doing that.  But yeah, I agree... we need to act on this.  I don't know what the breakdown was of how many Dunk got vs. how many the band got, because the band has been selling their own, and also had some shipped to Australia as well. 

I'll message Wout and see what he says, and maybe make Monday the deadline?  Derek, do you mind getting a total tally together of everybody so far? 

I don't mind totaling up everyone who's committed so far, but it sounds like you have some additional numbers from your Facebook that we'll have to consider.  If you can get Wout to set at least 10 Refractions aside, that'd be a great help as far as securing stock and also providing a broader window of opportunity for others to jump in.  Monday sounds like a fair deadline to me though.

I'm tied up until this afternoon but I'll get an official post with totals and breakdowns later today.

Haven't listened to War of Currents yet, but will probably do that just to make sure it's not something I can't live without.

Edited by Derek™

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I don't mind totaling up everyone who's committed so far, but it sounds like you have some additional numbers from your Facebook that we'll have to consider.  If you can get Wout to set at least 10 Refractions aside, that'd be a great help as far as securing stock and also providing a broader window of opportunity for others to jump in.  Monday sounds like a fair deadline to me though.

I'm tied up until this afternoon but I'll get an official post with totals and breakdowns later today.

Haven't listened to War of Currents yet, but will probably do that just to make sure it's not something I can't live without.

Great, thanks man.  That sounds fine.  War of Currents is good....  it's got more of a heavy Jakob influence on some tracks...  it's different.  A Thousand Arms will also be getting that at some point, so i'm going to wait for that because A) I want to support them and B ) i can't afford more than that now haha. 

I messaged Wout, we'll see what he says!

EDIT:

Okay, so I'm talking to CJ.  He's offered to facilitate the order for everybody, since he already has the mailers with A1K.  Wout hasn't gotten back to me anyway yet.  Will post details as they come forth. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

23 hours ago, omik11303 said:

@drds89 @mrewest @Dave Grohl @pemulis @wisdom81 @The Butcha @abovetheearth

Tagging to gauge interest.

If it will help the group and not land in the Bermuda Triangle of shipping cost insanity, then put me down for a Purple Refractions and a War Of Currents - though 23 euro for short LP, really? 100% to support the band, that's it. I already have all the signed CDs. 

War took a less metal/prog/math  direction than their killer debut Absence of I, but still a very good listen in its own tame postrock rights. More of a grower for me.  

Refractions was definitely worth the wait and quite rewarding to see how much of a positive response has Meniscus received for it. Love Alison's bass lines. 

Also, it seems like if you're talking to the man about a "volume deal," then that postage calculator or album cost are a ceiling vs a purchase price. Otherwise, it's just a "big order" and a pain (thank you whoever is doing the US distribution) for the point man.

Edited by drds89

War of Currents was really solid on first listen, and very Jakob-heavy in influence.  Like Don said, it's over a little too soon... but I think I'd probably hop on a copy, especially if we're going through the hoops to make it happen.  I'd rather get it out of the way than track it down later on Discogs or something.

3 hours ago, drds89 said:

Also, it seems like if you're talking to the man about a "volume deal," then that postage calculator or album cost are a ceiling vs a purchase price. Otherwise, it's just a "big order" and a pain (thank you whoever is doing the US distribution) for the point man.

Well...  CJ from A Thousand Arms said it could be doable, and would net us the discount as well.  Since he already has the mailers, it makes sense.  I trust him. 

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

War of Currents was really solid on first listen, and very Jakob-heavy in influence.  Like Don said, it's over a little too soon... but I think I'd probably hop on a copy, especially if we're going through the hoops to make it happen.  I'd rather get it out of the way than track it down later on Discogs or something.

Yeah I think you're going to be glad you got a copy.  I always forget that their other albums are good.  They're just different. 

This puts us at 13 total records now, with what everybody here wants plus my buddy from Facebook.  Not too shabby.  Will update CJ. 

22 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Those numbers are real, Wout shared those with me months ago while talking about those releases. 

FYI now Dunk have 51 copies of the purple Refractions and 140 on black, 225 of WOC. 

Fuck, we have to move then on the purple Refractions.  CJ had told me that the original plan was for the A1K copies to actually come from the band and not Dunk.  But neither Wout nor the band has gotten back to me about holding copies, or when theirs would be available. 

I just sent CJ another message...... since he offered to be the point man, I think we should take him up on that because he already has the mailers.  Will see what he says later today hopefully. 

I think we'll be good on time, but we need to get this done within a day or two I'd say. 

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Fuck, we have to move then on the purple Refractions.

I think we'll be good on time, but we need to get this done within a day or two I'd say. 

That's how I've felt.

I don't know how the new pricing works with this alleged discount that CJ is offering, or what the totals break down to, but you really ought to establish how many records we're buying in total and then we can calculate from there.

Reminder that I'm down for both Meniscus records.

4 hours ago, Derek™ said:

That's how I've felt.

I don't know how the new pricing works with this alleged discount that CJ is offering, or what the totals break down to, but you really ought to establish how many records we're buying in total and then we can calculate from there.

Reminder that I'm down for both Meniscus records.

So this is what I've got so far from everybody:

Gumbo - Refractions purple, War of Currents
Robert (from Facebook) - Refractions purple, War of Currents, TQPOE, Crimea
Owen - Refractions purple
Derek - Refractions purple, War of Currents
stillused - Refractions purple
cantdance - Refractions purple
Don - Refractions purple, War of Currents

CJ messaged me back, saying that he expects to hear back from Wout by tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.  If not, he offered to be the point-man for the distribution anyway through A1K since they've already got the mailers.  And I was thinking maybe we all chip in a dollar extra or something for his troubles if you guys are cool with it?