PO Now: British Theatre - Mastery (Oceansize, Vennart)[PledgeMusic]

• 1 month later...

VINYL UPDATE and RE-DESIGN

Hiya,

Here’s an update about the utterly cursed vinyl package we’ve been trying to get manufactured since January. There is a story, it is a boring one. Suffice to say, this is quite the fuck up so i’ll just go ahead and own it.

The original design – PVC sleeve, acetate insert, 2 x clear vinyl – certainly sounds straight forward enough to regular consumers such as you or I, but to your common-or-garden vinyl manufacturer you may as well be asking for the fucking moon on a sugary cut-to-shape scratch n’ sniff dick-stick. So long was the delay in acquiring an official quote for this production, I foolishly took some rotten advice in the form of an estimate which was so short of the mark it may as well have been uttered from the mouth of George Osbourne.

When the official quote finally came in (some two months later) it was so off the scale that production would’ve put this entire operation in the red. So, we looked at the options. A compromise was made in terms of material, then another, then another, until the blueprint artifice was barely recognisable as the simple idea it was borne of.

And so it was, we decided to cut our losses, quit pissing in the wind and go with a design that is a) so easy to design that a fucking drunk monkey from Castleford could understand the description and B) financially viable not to the point of making us rich, but at the very least making us no less skint.

The new design is 2 × 12” frosted clear vinyl in a gatefold sleeve finished with gloss varnish details, plus printed inner sleeves. All the artwork and design throughout is by the very patient Mr. Gambler. The item will still be very sexy and the music contained within is top fucking notch, I assure you.

Nevertheless, I’d like to personally apologise for this change of plan. We did all we could.

Also, we’re about to take the vinyl off-sale. This is due to another new and exciting quirk of the vinyl manufacturing industry.

As we discovered to our delight on The Demon Joke run, pressing plants reserve the right to press up to 20% LESS COPIES that you’ve actually ordered. So on TDJ we left some people with black vinyl rather than the special green as we neglected to consider that we wouldn’t get what we had actually paid for. IF all goes well and they press the correct number, we’ll put them back onsale. I know, ridiculous, right?

Boom shanka.

Vennart

I was pretty certain something like this was going to wind up happening as soon as they announced details of the packaging design which is a shame because as a concept I think its a really cool idea. 

Still looking forward to this though, let's face it the design can't be any worse than Dyed In The Wool Ghost.

New bits they've shared so far sound tight.

• 1 month later...

This thing is vastly different that what I was expecting, and that's for the better.  Anyone else totally into this after the first listen?

Thanks to a crazy work day I haven't had the usual opportunity to dive in, but the opening half of the album sounds great so far. I expected it all to be more in line with 'Newman' but the opening half has some really beautiful moments. I'm pretty sold!

Absolutely in love with this! Was so excited when I saw the email come through. I downloaded to my phone, pulled out my Oppo HA-1 headphone DAC/Amp and Momentum In-ears and went to the toilet to listen (was at work) haha. Really didn't know what to expect with this as was pretty apparent it was gonna be a departure of sorts from the EP's but wow...just wow. 

Really want to see the lyrics. Hard to make all of them out due to the crazy vocal lines.

I listened to this basically all day yesterday. I'm so much more into it than I thought I'd be after hearing The Cull and Newman. Hearing those in context really makes them stronger.

And I'm super fucking happy Gold Bruise is on here. I wouldn't be mad if they did an entire record like that song.

Now I can't wait to spin this at 45!

*Update* OK so turns out there is no retail version and the pledge vinyl is ONLY pressing of this album. No plans for a repress. If you want it, you better not stuff around.

I sent a tweet to Vennart asking if the pledge vinyl packaging was exclusive to the pledge or if it would be the same for retail and that was his response. 'This is IT' to be precise. Hearing the new track 'Newman', the production sounds insane...should sound amazing at 45rpm.

Official Non-Pledge Release version will available NEXT WEEK. Stay tuned for details. (i.e. we haven't decided yet)

?

2 hours ago, Sasan said:

OK, listened to this yesterday....this is TOTALLY different from what I've expected!

Still need to make up my mind if this is a good thing or not...this needs a lot of spins!

I think what I love about it is that it's definitely not 'immediate' and that it's a bit uncomfortable. Like all good things this means it's gonna have a lasting effect on me for sure. At the moment I am obsessed with 'Favour The Brave' - when I heard it was like hearing 'Retrovertigo' by Mr Bungle for the first time. Vocals just hit me!

• 1 month later...