The crosley dislike thread

I actually had one of these in a 1948 f100 I used to own. These go for big money now. I pulled mine from my father's boneyard. Damn thing actually worked. Granted I used beat up 45's. but it was neat to have.

Sheerly from an engineering standpoint it's all kind of impressive. There's no way this should have ever worked, but it did (as long as you didn't care about severe wear on your record) - I'd never in a million years play anything from my shelves on one of these, but I gotta respect the engineers who made it happen.

Sheerly from an engineering standpoint it's all kind of impressive. There's no way this should have ever worked, but it did (as long as you didn't care about severe wear on your record) - I'd never in a million years play anything from my shelves on one of these, but I gotta respect the engineers who made it happen.

Even at a young age (16-18) I knew that it would tear things up. I played commons and junk. I preferred doing burn outs in the backwoods of New York anyways. 

But yes, pretty interesting piece. I saw a guy with three of them for sale last year at the Raleigh Flea Market. He wanted 400 dollars each. I almost pulled the pug for nostalgic sake. But, really wouldn't work for my Saturn Vue. Haha. 

Even at a young age (16-18) I knew that it would tear things up. I played commons and junk. I preferred doing burn outs in the backwoods of New York anyways. 

But yes, pretty interesting piece. I saw a guy with three of them for sale last year at the Raleigh Flea Market. He wanted 400 dollars each. I almost pulled the pug for nostalgic sake. But, really wouldn't work for my Saturn Vue. Haha. 

I dunno, it would be totally badass to have one these days. Especially in a really modern car. I mean, you'd almost definitely get pulled over for distracted driving from having to change the record every three minutes, but so worth it...

I dunno, it would be totally badass to have one these days. Especially in a really modern car. I mean, you'd almost definitely get pulled over for distracted driving from having to change the record every three minutes, but so worth it...

Yeah. It was a kick ass car shows. Don't currently have any classic rides anymore....some day. 

Edit: Here's a pretty cool blog on a few. 

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2010/04/car-record-players-other-cool-vintage.html

Can you explain what I am doing wrong? My mom paid over $115 for it so we both assumed it was a good record player since it wasn't cheap. I'm just trying to figure out why everyone on here hates them. Thanks.

Technically there is nothing wrong with Crosleys  Actually that's not remotely true, as this isn't the same as getting the off-brand Cheerios rather than the real ones. Crosleys are built poorly and work antithetical to the basic properties of how music is played from vinyl, namely the lack of a counterweight. As a result, there is too much weight on the records, and runs the risk of ruining them with multiple plays.

Collecting vinyl in itself is expensive, and on top of it, you need to think about the purpose of wanting to collect/play vinyl. Some folks like vinyl because it's a a physical specimen in an era where CDs no longer do the trick. But many folks here collect vinyl because with the right setup, vinyl sounds superior to CDs or digital music. However, to get there, it costs a lot of money. Unlike most pieces of technology these days (laptops, phones, music players, etc.), a turntable with most of the basic functions needed to not destroy records, plus provide adequate sound quality, will cost at least $200, if not much more than that. Where Crosley gets you is that they, as well as couple of other brands, have put together much cheaper parts to get to an attractive price point (namely, $100 or so). 

Again, if you're not thinking of keeping your records in pristine condition, and collecting vinyl is an opportunity to support bands, then the Crosley will do. Some folks won't admit it, but some of them started with Crosleys as well. It may also allow you to find some decent dollar bin records and expand your musical horizon. But if this is a hobby you feel you want to stick to, be on the look out at garage sales, Goodwills, etc. for vintage turntables. Google them as you find them to see where they stack up as far as quality. Read the beginner's guide in this forum. It's at least a start.

Sorry for the long diatribe. I feel like it's easy to point out your naivete, but every now and then one of us should just give you a clear answer so you're not quite so lost...

Can you explain what I am doing wrong? My mom paid over $115 for it so we both assumed it was a good record player since it wasn't cheap. I'm just trying to figure out why everyone on here hates them. Thanks.

I would recommend you get an Audio Technica Lp 120. It has Counterweight, anti-skate and height adjustment on it. It sounds pretty good too.

Technically there is nothing wrong with Crosleys  Actually that's not remotely true, as this isn't the same as getting the off-brand Cheerios rather than the real ones. Crosleys are built poorly and work antithetical to the basic properties of how music is played from vinyl, namely the lack of a counterweight. As a result, there is too much weight on the records, and runs the risk of ruining them with multiple plays.

Collecting vinyl in itself is expensive, and on top of it, you need to think about the purpose of wanting to collect/play vinyl. Some folks like vinyl because it's a a physical specimen in an era where CDs no longer do the trick. But many folks here collect vinyl because with the right setup, vinyl sounds superior to CDs or digital music. However, to get there, it costs a lot of money. Unlike most pieces of technology these days (laptops, phones, music players, etc.), a turntable with most of the basic functions needed to not destroy records, plus provide adequate sound quality, will cost at least $200, if not much more than that. Where Crosley gets you is that they, as well as couple of other brands, have put together much cheaper parts to get to an attractive price point (namely, $100 or so). 

Again, if you're not thinking of keeping your records in pristine condition, and collecting vinyl is an opportunity to support bands, then the Crosley will do. Some folks won't admit it, but some of them started with Crosleys as well. It may also allow you to find some decent dollar bin records and expand your musical horizon. But if this is a hobby you feel you want to stick to, be on the look out at garage sales, Goodwills, etc. for vintage turntables. Google them as you find them to see where they stack up as far as quality. Read the beginner's guide in this forum. It's at least a start.

Sorry for the long diatribe. I feel like it's easy to point out your naivete, but every now and then one of us should just give you a clear answer so you're not quite so lost...

Thank you for sharing that information. Honestly I was clueless to this. I'm a little bumbed that this could ruin my record's though. I am in no position to get a better record player so for now this is all I have. 

On more than one occasion you have been kind to me which I am greatfull for since a few others keep calling me a troll. I guess at some point I will have to get over my fear of working [got made fun of a lot at my last job] and get another job to buy something better someday.

Thank you for sharing that information. Honestly I was clueless to this. I'm a little bumbed that this could ruin my record's though. I am in no position to get a better record player so for now this is all I have. 

On more than one occasion you have been kind to me which I am greatfull for since a few others keep calling me a troll. I guess at some point I will have to get over my fear of working [got made fun of a lot at my last job] and get another job to buy something better someday.

Don't sweat it, we all started somewhere. It took me ten years to get a quality rig, searching around and upgrading things here and there is part of the fun.

Just make sure that if/when you keep on enjoying listening to records and decide to start upgrading, the crosley is the first thing that has to go ;)

Don't sweat it, we all started somewhere. It took me ten years to get a quality rig, searching around and upgrading things here and there is part of the fun.

Just make sure that if/when you keep on enjoying listening to records and decide to start upgrading, the crosley is the first thing that has to go ;)

dont forget the other terrible brand, called Jensen.

AT's US headquarters is in the suburbs, wish I could get a job there to get some deals on carts. I missed the warehouse sale before Christmas :(.

I'd never own one of their table again though.

I wouldn't say the LP120 is miles above a crosley. if youre going to drop 250, save a little more and buy a pro-ject table

I just like the fact that its got counterweight, anti-skate and height adjustment and cartridge alignment too. The lp120 has everything needed to get a good sound, without needing to spend too much money, in my opinion ofcourse.