Issue with Crosley CR704c dragging

First of all, yes I know Crosleys are garbage.  I am currently in the market for a proper setup.  I plan on going with the AT-LP120 and some nice active speakers.  In the mean time, I have to get by with this until I can afford to splurge.

I bought the Crosley CR704c about a month and a half ago.  I am new to vinyl and purchased it because its simple and it looks good and the reviews were pretty decent.  Unfortunately, I soon realized why people in the vinyl community hate Crosleys so much.  I've only had it a little over a month and the records are already dragging like I have a worn out belt or something.  I have noticed the dragging is significantly minimized if I turn the semi-automatic function on the tonearm to manual, which rules out a belt issue.  It seems to be an issue with the semi-automatic tonearm.

Any idea what else would cause this or how to fix it?

You probably already know this but unless it's an obvious quick fix fault no you are pretty stuck.

When you say dragging do you mean it's running slow or the record is moving slower than the platter? either way the best thing for it unfortunately is landfill.

If it's a month and half old though why don't you take it back and get your money back, you might be without a record player for a while but your records will probably thank you in the long run.

You probably already know this but unless it's an obvious quick fix fault no you are pretty stuck.

When you say dragging do you mean it's running slow or the record is moving slower than the platter? either way the best thing for it unfortunately is landfill.

If it's a month and half old though why don't you take it back and get your money back, you might be without a record player for a while but your records will probably thank you in the long run.

It's running slow, and the records sound a bit flat.  I played a few 78rpms on it and apparently the motor and belt isn't strong enough to support a shellac disc and that ruined it.  Why Crosley offers 78rpm speed and even sells special 78rpm needles on a turntable that can't play them, I don't know.  I do know that's one reason Crosley is universally despised in the community.

It's most likely because the tracking force is outrageously high. Its not adjustable on that turntable. Just return it and use the money towards something better.

LP120, or I like the Denon DP-300F (also has a built in phono preamp). I advise you use a separate preamp when you can afford it, the built-in stuff is not so good.

Both get great reviews, and will last you more than 6 weeks!

20151113_115111_zpsltnefav0.jpg

20150301_144719_zpstym7jezb_edit_1449799

• 3 years later...

sorry if this is a repost, was interrupted first attempt posting:

anyway, had the same problem of the turntable starting to drag and slow down, even with speed control set to the max. as another user said, Crosley turntables are obviously crap. I play heavy shellac 78s on mine primarily, and it started dragging also. disassembled and found the plastic on plastic turntable bearing which bears the downward weight of the record and turntable, was rough and the surface was partly shredded. resolved by inserting a thin sheet metal washer I cut with snips, and applying a generous amount of plastic-friendly lubricant which comes in a thick oil form in a tube for $5 off Amazon, called "super lube o-ring silicone lubricant".

Oh yes, and as others mentioned, to be complete: cleaned with a swab the belt path, and wiped the belt with a damp cloth to remove any possible disintegrated rubber particles on the rubber belt surface, and also dropped a couple drops of "turbine lightweight machine oil" in the shaft of the DC motor, to cover all bases. 

Obviously, be super careful not to get any lube anywhere near the belt or belt path, or it will definitely start slipping.

Geez, and there's more, I don't know which of these or all of them fixed it for me, but also shot some spray contact cleaner like deoxit into the power switch, speed switch, and speed control potentiometer... you know, logically trying to cover all bases... I have some genuine real nice 1940s record players but never can seem to find time to restore them, so I keep playing records on this Crosley.. 🙁