This record sounds like Cloud Nothings trying to make a '94 era Built to Spill record over and over three times.

Which is better than Cloud Nothings making Cloud Nothings. 

I initially heard "Your name's Not Ned" and thought of Built to Spill and blue Weezer, but today I listened to the whole album. There are obvious BtS influences throughout, but the whole thing is a lot more emo than I expected. I don't really hear Weezer at all now, even in that song. It's more SDRE and early Modest Mouse along with BtS I suppose. That's musically, anyway. I found the album really solid, one of the better emo revival records I've heard. Partly because the vocals worked for me better than with a lot of the other bands doing this thing. I was surprised by its length, but since my listening was split/interrupted and not continuous, it didn't feel overlong. I'll go through it again tomorrow. 

i'm not usually that huge on BWM stuff these days but i heard the first song on this and ordered the album. having listened to the rest of it, i love this. i feel like the songwriting is really there, i was never wild about built to spill but i guess the emo sheen pushed it into "love it" territory for me. 

Which is better than Cloud Nothings making Cloud Nothings. 

I initially heard "Your name's Not Ned" and thought of Built to Spill and blue Weezer, but today I listened to the whole album. There are obvious BtS influences throughout, but the whole thing is a lot more emo than I expected. I don't really hear Weezer at all now, even in that song. It's more SDRE and early Modest Mouse along with BtS I suppose. That's musically, anyway. I found the album really solid, one of the better emo revival records I've heard. Partly because the vocals worked for me better than with a lot of the other bands doing this thing. I was surprised by its length, but since my listening was split/interrupted and not continuous, it didn't feel overlong. I'll go through it again tomorrow. 

His voice sounds similar to Rivers in a few songs including that one so you weren't that far off with your initial assessment, but yeah that's where that comparison ends.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...