Lathe Cuts?

Hey everyone,

How do folks feel about mini-runs (20-50) of lathe-cut records?

Are they worth buying/selling? Is the lower volume/quality a deal breaker for anyone?

I'm going to be doing a super short handmade run of a lathe-cut 7 " and I'm curious about ya'll's opinion.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

I like most of the quality of the lathes that Intheclouds Records does, so if they match that quality, I think a run on lathes would be cool for whoever may buy.

They usually supplement that with some unique packaging or something, so that helps as well.  But the sound quality of ITC's lathes has always been really good (for the most part).

I'm planning on going with Audio Geography's "hifi" 33RPM round, clear 7 inches.

Just curious if anyone would be interested/how much people would be willing to pre-order something like this for.

It's gonna be 2 songs, both 2 minutes and 30 seconds long, A side/B side. The packaging will be handmade, with each copy coming with it's own unique hand-painted cover. It'll be like a lil mini painting in a sleeve with like a 7 inch record in there too! I'll most likely be throwing in some patches and a zine or something like a poster with each order too.

Do ya'll think anyone would be interested in this for $20, free shipping? There will only be 10 made.

If I put this up for pre-order in the next week on my Bandcamp (instant download/stream of the songs, I'm estimating these would ship mid-April/early May, depending on how fast the records can be cut.

Here's my Bandcamp, in case ya'll just wanna take a listen regardless:

marionprogram.bandcamp.com

Ok enough of this semi-lucid post ...

I'm planning on going with Audio Geography's "hifi" 33RPM round, clear 7 inches.

Just curious if anyone would be interested/how much people would be willing to pre-order something like this for.

It's gonna be 2 songs, both 2 minutes and 30 seconds long, A side/B side. The packaging will be handmade, with each copy coming with it's own unique hand-painted cover. It'll be like a lil mini painting in a sleeve with like a 7 inch record in there too! I'll most likely be throwing in some patches and a zine or something like a poster with each order too.

Do ya'll think anyone would be interested in this for $20, free shipping? There will only be 10 made.

If I put this up for pre-order in the next week on my Bandcamp (instant download/stream of the songs, I'm estimating these would ship mid-April/early May, depending on how fast the records can be cut.

Here's my Bandcamp, in case ya'll just wanna take a listen regardless:

marionprogram.bandcamp.com

Ok enough of this semi-lucid post ...

Still need you to make your music pay what you want instead of free on bandcamp.

Lathe cutting those clear hard pieces of plastic will always sound like shit. ITC does it different from everyone else. $10 is the common price for lathe cut 7"s. I don't think anyone on this website would pay $20 for one unless it's oop and they need it to finish a collection.

Edit: just saw free shipping so it's only $5 over, not too bad depending on the extravagance of the packaging. Just don't expect it to sound good.

Oof. $20 for 5 min of music? Unless it was to complete a variant collection (or came with a shirt), I don't think I could go for that.

Oh yeah there would be a shirt! I failed at making a lucid post. Yeah the last release was a cassette EP and shirt for $10(also free shipping), so I figured this would be a little fancier, but same concept.

Lathes can be great or horrible.  All depends on the cutter and his machine/materials.  I have lathes that sound better than pressed records, and I have lathes that sound like a taco shell on my turntable.  Yes quality does normally cost more, and despite what some have said there is definitely a market for 7"s that cost $20 or more.  If you have good music and good marketing, then you should have nothing to worry about.

Lathes DO NOT sound like crap IF you go to the right lathe cutter who has the experience and right tools.  I have 20 different lathes in my vinyl collection and each one sounds good to excellent.  NOT ONE of my lathes I've listened to and think...this needs a recut.  I fully back Audio Geography and Twin Hill for making great, Hi-fidelity stereo lathes.