PO Converge - You Fail Me - 10 year Aniversary NOW

it's always interesting to me to see what era of material people are drawn to. I'm a bit older than you, so my idea of Converge will FOREVER and ALWAYS be "The Saddest Day" and all that early material off of Petitioning and When Forever Comes Crashing.

If your profile is accurate, I'm older than you. I didn't say I started with YFM, just said when it came out, I was 20.

It's funny because my uncle took me to see them for my first time when I was 16, right after Jane Doe came out. He had to work the door guards because he wasn't my parent and I was so young, and it was a Converge show... lol. However, he has stories of seeing them in basements in Boston and whatnot with Coalesce, One King Down, Gorilla Biscuits, etc etc.

This is going to show my age, but I remember seeing Converge play live a bunch of times in these squatter type houses in Philly in the mid-90's. I think one of the places was called Stalag 13. Those were some killer fucking shows. 

This new You Fail Me variant will be another valued piece to my Converge collection.

Oh yeah dude, I've been listening to Isis since I was in fucking middle school probably; whenever Napster was still going. Maybe 9th grade. Some tracks off Celestial and the Mosquito Control EP were up there, I remember getting CFT, Collapse and Crush, Life Under The Swatter, Hive Destruction... all that shit. And then fucking Oceanic came out and I picked that up and it was like ::::EXPLOSION:::: Everything fucking changed.

Probably my most-listened-to record of my life, Oceanic. Followed by Animals by Pink Floyd, probably.

But yeah, once I really got into post-rock I went back and started digging through the post-Oceanic Isis material, and was like "holy shit, they still fucking killed."

One of my all-time favorite bands, ever. Isis is so fucking good.

Converge is good too.

I love this post.

Some people "rag" on Abscence and other new stuff, but I love it all. There's just something about their music that destroys me.

Same. It took me a little while to really gel with ITAOT, but once it clicked it really clicked. I still hold Oceanic above all though.

Same thing with me, it was the last one I really "got". But, interestingly enough, it is now without question my most-listened-to Isis album. I can ALWAYS throw that on. There's just so many good parts.

Panopticon is amazing up through In Fiction, and then peters out for me. The back half of that record doesn't hold my interest nearly as much as those first 3 tracks.

But man, In The Absence of Truth just fucking destroys the entire way through, start to finish. Probably their best record, IMO. Oceanic is legendary, but the final 2 tracks on that always feel like they're just throwaway add-ons, in a way. I feel like the record naturally wants to end after Weight.

Same thing with me, it was the last one I really "got". But, interestingly enough, it is now without question my most-listened-to Isis album. I can ALWAYS throw that on. There's just so many good parts.

Panopticon is amazing up through In Fiction, and then peters out for me. The back half of that record doesn't hold my interest nearly as much as those first 3 tracks.

But man, In The Absence of Truth just fucking destroys the entire way through, start to finish. Probably their best record, IMO. Oceanic is legendary, but the final 2 tracks on that always feel like they're just throwaway add-ons, in a way. I feel like the record naturally wants to end after Weight.

Hym is sooooo heavy though, it'd be a shame to lose it. 

Panopticon is probably my favorite. Altered Course and Grinning Mouths are some of my fav ISIS songs, I think the end of Grinning Mouths is maybe the strongest close of any ISIS songs, the buildup and then how it cuts out into that open palm muted guitar riff and all comes crashing in back over it, an amazing moment for sure. It's their most subtle album IMO, something that's highlighted a lot by a track like Altered Course, which is pretty unique in their discography. I love how that song just keeps morphing, in a lot of ways Panopticon actually sounds more "oceanic" than their other stuff to me. 

ITAOT I thought was my favorite for a long time, it's an incredible album, I honestly think Dulcinea is probably their best song ever. 

Hym is sooooo heavy though, it'd be a shame to lose it. 

Panopticon is probably my favorite. Altered Course and Grinning Mouths are some of my fav ISIS songs, I think the end of Grinning Mouths is maybe the strongest close of any ISIS songs, the buildup and then how it cuts out into that open palm muted guitar riff and all comes crashing in back over it, an amazing moment for sure. It's their most subtle album IMO, something that's highlighted a lot by a track like Altered Course, which is pretty unique in their discography. I love how that song just keeps morphing, in a lot of ways Panopticon actually sounds more "oceanic" than their other stuff to me. 

ITAOT I thought was my favorite for a long time, it's an incredible album, I honestly think Dulcinea is probably their best song ever.

Yeah those tracks at the end of Oceanic are definitely awesome, but I almost feel like it would have benefited from them doing what they did with Celestial, and making an EP out of those two with maybe a couple other new random tracks or something, because Oceanic always feels over to me when Weight is done.

Interesting that that's how you feel about Panopticon because I feel completely the opposite haha. I mean, I enjoy the songs after In Fiction, but they're nowhere near my favorite and not stuff I'd be super excited about seeing live. I think the thing that maybe gets me about some of the Panopticon material is that you've got songs like So Did We and Altered Course where Aaron Harris does THE SAME DRUMBEAT through the whole song. It just... I don't know. I get what they're trying to do, it's just weird for me.

Also, obligatory shout-out to fucking LOW TIDE. If you are an Isis fan and have somehow NOT heard this fucking track, your entire life has been leading up to this moment:

ITAOT is probably the ISIS record I've spent the least amount of time with. Going to dust it off and give it a proper re-listen.

Give this a focused listen, dude. When the beat and groove comes in on Wrist of Kings after that intro... ugh. So good. And the end of Garden of Light, and fucking Dulcinea, the middle section of Holy Tears, Firdous E Bareen... the whole motherfucking thing, dude. The whole fucking thing.

Normally Isis would get a pass, but that release... *shudder*

EDIT: Oops, I was channeling my hatred towards that Neurosis collab EP, not this one. Still not my favorite work from Isis, I just don't hate it as much.

That Isis/Aereogramme EP is better than anything I've ever seen you post about except maybe Pig Destroyer.