PO: Maylene & The Sons of Disaster (SMLXL Vinyl)

mmhmm

Cool story.

Funny thing is they are one of those bands that I completely forget are a 'Christian' band, mostly dude in part from them being a concept band. I've seen them about 10 times, and I have never heard Dallas talk about it.

Also, since there is a MATSOD thread (finally), let's see everyone's copy of II, and / or the 7".

Thanks for the info, Dave! Yeah I have never heard them talk about Christianity even once over the years I've gone and seen them. I do remember a youth group getting pissed at them because they (youth group) thought it was a good idea to show the music video that had Danny Trejo getting hacked by the chainsaw.

Thanks for the info, Dave! Yeah I have never heard them talk about Christianity even once over the years I've gone and seen them. I do remember a youth group getting pissed at them because they (youth group) thought it was a good idea to show the music video that had Danny Trejo getting hacked by the chainsaw.

No worries, bud.

Last time I saw them was in SLC with He Is Legend which was great, cause they pair great together, as you probably know (since they have similar styles, and have toured together, and Skylar filled in for Dallas for a few shows a while back - which has some cool acoustic versions of songs with him singing). I chipped my tooth on the microphone crowd surfing up to Dallas while singing the chorus of 'Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead'. I refuse to fix my chipped tooth.

Another time I saw them was with Saosin, back in 2008 I think. My best friend and I were among a total of like 4 people who were there for Maylene. They played first, and we all bum rushed to the front when the first note hit. So it was just 4 bearded fuckers going crazy in a crowd of teeny Saosin fans. It was so much fun.

It's been said that Ferret sold out. Not quite sure to what extent other than WB buying a share of the label. The band I used to work for got an offer to be signed by Ferret right before they [Ferret] were ending, but signed to Good Fight as it was getting off the ground. Paul Conroy and Carl Severson (who used to run / work for Ferret / WB) started Good Fight Entertainment / Music. I know Carl and I've always been curious to ask him the full story of what happened.

Dallas said (back in early 2015) that they would record a new album, and in Nov. they said they were working on it. It'll probably be an independent release.

Maybe getting in bed with WB is what caused them to say 'fuck it', close down Ferret, and start new.

I assumed they'd go independent as well but I caught an interview where Dallas said they weren't interested in fan-funding and that they wanted a label to release it. Things change though and you never really know what this band is going to do. Plus, that was like at least a year ago, if not more.

Going to go ahead and put this here before the religion and bigotry talk ruins the fun for all of us.

78cb5bb2-7fce-40c1-8fe8-c3f508e3072d_zps

No worries, bud.

Last time I saw them was in SLC with He Is Legend which was great, cause they pair great together, as you probably know (since they have similar styles, and have toured together, and Skylar filled in for Dallas for a few shows a while back - which has some cool acoustic versions of songs with him singing). I chipped my tooth on the microphone crowd surfing up to Dallas while singing the chorus of 'Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead'. I refuse to fix my chipped tooth.

Another time I saw them was with Saosin, back in 2008 I think. My best friend and I were among a total of like 4 people who were there for Maylene. They played first, and we all bum rushed to the front when the first note hit. So it was just 4 bearded fuckers going crazy in a crowd of teeny Saosin fans. It was so much fun.

Yeah that recent-ish tour they did with HIL was insane! I learned that day that Dallas is a master at jumping and front flipping off stages

Yeah man, I got too fat for mine but I keep 'em around thinking i will fit into them again some day haha. One of my favorite pieces of merch from them was the chainsaw hoodie that also shrunk....I forgot about that splatter variant! I bought my copy of II from a dude on here that ran/runs a label called robbed the bank. Not sure if he is still around or not.

I would have bought this right when I seen the thread but they don't accept PayPal and I don't feel like taking that risk, especially with a release date of late June

I sent them an email asking why they don't offer paypal and if they plan to in the future. It's odd that a digital storefront in 2016 doesn't offer PayPal as a payment method.

Via Mike Condo in response to my email:

"Have no plans to add PayPal. We used it for another store and had a very bad experience where quite a bit of money was held by them for about 6 months. So when we opened this site over a year ago we decided not to use them. You are the 1st person to question as to why we don't.

Thanks I hope you still consider buying the albums from us."

Man, you seem really sensitive about this subject, I've noticed you seem to go right to the bigot thing every time.

I just like pointing out the people who call a certain group of people bigots end up being a bigot themselves. It's also funny how people come into threads of Christian bands just to say how much they hate God.

Via Mike Condo in response to my email:

"Have no plans to add PayPal. We used it for another store and had a very bad experience where quite a bit of money was held by them for about 6 months. So when we opened this site over a year ago we decided not to use them. You are the 1st person to question as to why we don't.

Thanks I hope you still consider buying the albums from us."

This probably the reason they switched label names. When they were originally releasing Relient K albums they used to be called SMLXL Vinyl, and they accepted PayPal. Then they changed to Superfan vinyl and now no longer accept PayPal.

This probably the reason they switched label names. When they were originally releasing Relient K albums they used to be called SMLXL Vinyl, and they accepted PayPal. Then they changed to Superfan vinyl and now no longer accept PayPal.

Funny cause he replied to me using a SMLXL email address. At least the name is easier to say. Haha.

I used to have that Maylene 7" - was pretty cool. Super stoked on both of these albums even though I Call This Abandonment is about 100x better than Fiends. Love Maylene

MEET ME AT THE SHORE

Give fiends another shot. I get why fans hated

The sound change, but legitimately, fiends has some of the best production and songwriting out of a majority of the bands who put albums out in that era/genre.

For me personally, the production on fiends is perfect.