PO: M83 - Junk

Finally listened to this in full today, my gf bought me a copy for our anniversary a couple days ago and I absolutely love it. I love that they are a band that can keep me on my toes so much. Great array of pop and down tempo songs to keep it interesting. I had the same WTF reaction when Digital Shades followed Before the Dawn Heals Us, but again, always keeping me guessing what's next. Really shows how versatile of a musician he is. The piano playing on this album is great too, simple but effective. Lots of replay value here for me. SUPER A PLUS NUMBER ONE

So after seeing them live the other night, I have to say that these new songs translate really well live. Am I ok that they replace the likes of Graveyard Girl and others in their set? ...ehhh. BUT, in their own right, the new songs are catchy, energetic and a lot of fun. Also, the new Morgan is actually really, really great. She nailed Oblivion.

Nostalgia is different for everybody. 

yep. being in my prime in the 80's, this is totally a vibe of that for me.

"for the kids" could have totally been the end credit song for literally any movie back then.

'Moon crystal' could have been any opening song to any show too. the riding the bike in the park, dropping the casserole, looking at the camera and laughing.

• 4 months later...

From an email:

Today M83, aka Anthony Gonzalez, debuts a cosmic dub remix of “Go! (feat. Mai Lan)” from Animal Collective’s Deakin. The remix will also be included on limited edition blue 12” vinyl, released Dec 16, 2016, alongside the original single, a tender ballad called “Altered Love,” and an 8-bit version of “Go!” which was created for an exciting new project to be announced soon.  Full track listing below – listen to the remix HERE. The track will be available on all download and streaming services on September 16th.

Go! 12” Tracklist – Release Date Dec 16, 2016
A/
1. Go! (featuring Mai Lan)
2. Altered Love (unreleased track)

B/
3. Go! (Animal Collective/Deakin Remix)
4. Go! (8-Bit Version)

Edited by EHughes527

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lethalenforcer said:

Seeing him live definitely helped me appreciate some tunes from Junk more than I had previously. Still not a huge fan though.

Agree.  I never saw them in person but I plenty of their festivals webcasts over the summer and it definitely gave me a better appreciation for Junk.

19 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Agree.  I never saw them in person but I plenty of their festivals webcasts over the summer and it definitely gave me a better appreciation for Junk.

This is very true! I've watched their Sasquatch festival set from earlier this year on YouTube way too many times. I'm seeing them in Atlanta on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

PO link for the Go! 12" via Bull Moose:

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/24373081/m83-go-clear-blue-vinyl

“Go!,” the latest single from symphonic-indie-electronic-dream pop powerhouse, M83, seems at first like a characteristically “epic” M83 song. Taken from 2016’s Junk, it opens with breathy vocals from French singer Mai Lan and lyrics that suggests romantic situations that teenagers always seem to find themselves in.

Then, out of nowehere, Steve Vai bursts through to play a guitar solo made of glowsticks. Wait, Steve Vai? The legendary virtuoso guitar hero who defined an era? Correct. The mood of the song flips entirely, as his solo becomes the colorfully explosive conclusion at the end of a perfunctory night of fireworks. It feels complete; it feels epic.

“Go!“ is available as a limited edition blue 12” vinyl on December 16, 2016 via Mute, alongside the original single, a tender unreleased ballad called “Altered Love,” the recently released cosmic dub remix of the title track by Animal Collective’s Deakin, and an unreleased 8-bit version of “Go!”.