There Will Be Hell Toupée! (The Donald Trump Thread)

Getting rid of ACA means that people who were "uninsurable" before ACA would be back with no insurance which is, in some cases, a death sentance.

Single payor addresses the problem better than just going back to the way things were pre-ACA.

I edited my original after I thought about what you were implying.

I'm fine with there being a marketplace, but I don't want to be forced to use it.

I always wonder if companies who "can no longer offer health insurance because of ACA" are passing the savings on to their employees.

The company I work for (a large health insurance company) pays about $385 per single employee on our group plan. I would expect that number to be higher for a smaller non-health insurance company. If a company simply stops offering coverage, the right thing to do would be to pass their saving on to the employee to offset their new burden, but I think a lot of places just pocket it.

I had a part time job with insurance and when ACA came along, that option was dropped. They gave us $500. That was about a month and a quarter of platinum. My current employer gives insurance to part time after a year.

I had a part time job with insurance and when ACA came along, that option was dropped. They gave us $500. That was about a month and a quarter of platinum. My current employer gives insurance to part time after a year.

assuming my figure of $385 per month is in the ballpark, your previous employer should have shelled out around $4500 over the course of a year in order to break even on their end.  and that would have more or less covered your premiums for a year on an ACA plan.

I'm totally fine with immigrants coming into the country - its how this country was formed, but in my opinion they need to come in legally. Yes the current system sucks and should be addressed, but he is right an illegal immigrant is still illegal anyway you slice it.

The current system should be addressed/fixed, and the immigration laws should be enforced.

Winner !

interesting theory out right now;

Trump wins nomination

Clinton wins nomination

GOP gets 3rd candidate in race

no candidate wins enough electoral votes to win (270+)

Congress votes to elect president (12th amendment)

GOP 3rd candidate wins election due to GOP controlled house

Mitt Romney/Marco Rubio 2016.

this is essentially the season finale of veep season 4 lol. what is life.

assuming my figure of $385 per month is in the ballpark, your previous employer should have shelled out around $4500 over the course of a year in order to break even on their end. and that would have more or less covered your premiums for a year on an ACA plan.

Yes. Or I can pay up to that much in taxes every year and we can have universal healthcare. Either way works for me.

I truly don't mean this in an offensive way to you, thebiglebowski, in any way, and I'm not saying there needs to more immigration (I think it's a very complex answer with no straightforward answer).

BUT, that statement is very uninformed, ignorant, and around the wrong company could be quite offensive.

As a Manager at several different workplaces in several different industries, and as a data collection manager for the government regarding immigrants and their education the idea that they are all (or even as a majority) unskilled laborers is simply incorrect.

The reason they end up in all of the unskilled jobs is not that they themselves are unskilled, but that their education does not correlate/is not recognized in north america.  The majority of the immigrants I've worked with or surveyed had skills to offer that our over regulated industries would not accept.  Please know that I'm not saying that regulations should be relaxed, again it's a very complex issue without a straightforward answer.

EDIT: I still feel like this is worded too strongly, it's really not flamebait or an invitation to argue.  I just truly think that many people are misinformed when it comes to this point.  There are tons of Doctors, Engineers, Scientists, etc, that drive cabs, own gas stations, and work at corner stores because their education is not recognized and they don't have the means to go through school again.

I'm open to consider other opinions and that maybe my opinions are based more on perception than fact but I'd need to see some type of evidence to support it. Clearly, the example you bring up is a problem (doctors and scientists driving cabs because their education is not recognized). I'm sure this has happened to some people who cross the border illegally from Mexico. There are so many people that have done it that it must have. I still think these are significant outliers to the population as a whole. The majority of those who cross the border illegally end up doing lawn service, janitorial work, cooking fast food, etc and don't have anything we would consider higher education. Maybe there's a higher portion of them that have mechanic or manufacturing skills.

It's widely considered that the departure of manufacturing jobs started in the 70s/80s was a serious factor in causing the current state of poverty and despair in our inner cities and poor. People that couldn't find decent paying jobs either ended up 1) using drugs to cope with their troubles or 2) selling drugs because it was the only way they could make a living, which combined with white flight led to the collapse of those communities. Getting those jobs back and restoring the ability of the poor to reach the middle class is going to be a long, uphill battle if it is even possible. In the short term, the best alternatives for many of our lower class is going to be what we consider unskilled labor as listed above. Having illegal immigrants come into the country and work under the table undercuts the opportunities of American citizens to make a living and improve their quality of life through positions.

And this is in no way meant to be taken as Trump support. His comments about Mexico paying for a wall and illegal Mexican immigrants being murders are disgusting and offensive. I wouldn't even consider voting for him. Just generally discussing the topic.

Yes, I totally agree with all of that.

Regardless of whether or not they are actually skilled, the reality is that they generally end up in the unskilled jobs.  Now, depending on the area is sometimes a disparity between the unemployment rate and the availability of these unskilled jobs (as in, unskilled jobs are available in high unemployment areas, thus becoming an issue of choice versus availability).

My company dropped our insurance. They gave us a letter with our check that informed us our insurance was cancelled 4 days prior. I fucking lost it on those a-holes. Never received a dime either. I reported them to the labor board. Of course nothing ever happened. They pay a small fine for not providing insurance. The fine doesn't increase for them either, it's just the same fine every year. The fine is less than the actual insurance fees. It's bullshit.

http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-hat-china/

his clothing line IS made outside of america though. i believe some of it is made in china while some is made in mexico.

i know his ties are made in china, when he was being interviewed a guy letterman, letterman pointed it out to him. he just shrugged his shoulders as if he didn't give a shit. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...