There Will Be Hell Toupée! (The Donald Trump Thread)

It may. I'm sure that was part of his calculus. We won't know the lasting effect on the DNC or this election until after November. To be clear, I'm not trying to defend that actions of the DNC here. My only point was that I don't think Bernie Sanders is a sellout. He is my senator and has been a principled politician for as long as I've known and voted for him.

I understand that post-primary season is schadenfreude central, but I personally have no problem with his choice, I think it was probably as astute a choice as could be made, given the circumstance. That doesn't mean you have to agree with me. 

I really don't see the sellout bit, and I don't see how Hillary is so corrupted and evil.  Bernie never had a chance of winning.  He knew and his (reasonable) supporters knew it.  That wasn't what his campaign was about.  And to the point about the donations, I donated about $100 and I am glad that he endorsed Clinton.  I feel that was donation money well-spent.  Because his campaign pulled the party to the left and showed that there is massive support for social programs/initiatives and entitlement programs.  Now Clinton is going into the general with a platform that highlights equality and social justice.  In addition to one Sander's biggest draws, the promise to enact legislation to make public colleges free of charge to 83% of young Americans.

I think it's ridiculous that anyone could see that as selling out.  If anything, his campaign accomplished more than anyone could have possibly imagined.  A fringe candidate that wasn't even a member of the party influenced major policy and platform change for the presidential nominee.  I see that as an enormous victory for the Sanders camp and supporters.

One other thing, I don't think anyone should be that upset over the DNC emails.  Yes, maybe it's unethical for party management to favor a primary candidate and use the weight of the party's influence to ensure that candidate's victory.  But I have no problem with the NeverTrump movement.  And because the Republicans didn't step up and take care of Trump when they had the chance, every Republican politician in the country is going to deal with the backlash.  No matter what, whether he wins or loses, his candidacy hurts the party.  And so with that in mind, I think it would be hypocritical of me to badmouth the DNC for what they did.  Because Clinton is the stronger candidate.  And while I sided more with Sanders on issues, I would find it tough to argue that he'd be a more effective leader.

15 minutes ago, cantdance said:

I agree with everything you said but one part: a political party should never be allowed to tip the scales for one candidate over another. I know it happens, but you shouldn't be cool with the practice.

I think I'm okay with it if the candidate is not a member of the party.  if they were biased against martin o'malley, that would seem worse to me than having a bias against a guy who (literally?) hasn't paid his dues to the party.

3 hours ago, harryq said:

I think I'm okay with it if the candidate is not a member of the party.  if they were biased against martin o'malley, that would seem worse to me than having a bias against a guy who (literally?) hasn't paid his dues to the party.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/omalley-dnc-clearly-hurt-my-odds-of-succeeding/article/2598123

10 hours ago, cantdance said:

Did the leaked emails say anything like "How are we gonna take down O'Malley?"  I haven't heard of any.  As far as I'm aware, he has only complained about the lack of debates, but his chances were pretty low going into the debates (as I recall), so I don't know if he really has an argument in that regard.

It seems to me that he's complaining about being unknown compared to Hillary, but I don't think you can blame that on the DNC.

On 7/29/2016 at 4:10 PM, nancy_raygun said:

I don't see how Hillary is so corrupted and evil

On 7/29/2016 at 4:18 PM, nancy_raygun said:

Yes, maybe it's unethical for party management to favor a primary candidate and use the weight of the party's influence to ensure that candidate's victory.

yikes. how i imagine someone trying to rationalize the evil and corruption:

I0a13W.gif