There Will Be Hell Toupée! (The Donald Trump Thread)

cool, Betsy one step closer.. also, this is kind of amusing.

what if he announces Merrick Garland as SCOTUS?  how many LOL heads would explode?  god that would be fucking amazing, even though i know it'll never happen

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-supreme-court-pick-will-he-be-disappointment-234398

19 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Beyond paying taxes every year, and many of us working in needed industries...?

I'm all for legal immigration, and I don't think that not allowing people to immigrate due to religious affiliation or where they're born is ok. But  I'm not a fan of illegal immigration, simple as that.

When it comes to refugees, obviously it's a tough issue. Do I think that we should just let everyone in? No. Do I think we should let in folks who have been told they're allowed already? Sure. Do I think there needs to be a pretty stringent vetting process that makes sure that any refugees brought into the country have no wish to do us harm/will contribute in some meaningful way? Yup. (and I do understand that many of our own citizens don't contribute in a meaningful way.)

One of my big issues is that before we get out there and really start "helping" (read: interfering) in other country's issues, we should fix some of ours at home.

Obviously I don't have all the answers. If I did I'd be running for office myself, but I have opinions just like all of you and I'm as entitled to them as any you are yours.

I can understand why you would feel attacked, but I don't think anyone is saying you aren't entitled to your opinion.  This thread is a way to bitch about Trump, as some of the things he has done and the way he has rolled them out and messaged them is indefensible (IMO).  If you told illegals they could be legal citizens, all they had to do was pay taxes, I'm sure most would jump at that chance, and there are few more "needed" industries than the one fulfilled by immigrants (food production, etc.).  We were lucky to be born into this situation, other aren't and I don't begrudge them the chance to make their lives better.  In all practicality there has to regulations on immigration, but the Trump approach is above and beyond.

The other things you say are mostly reasonable, and that's the frustrating thing, Trump would not have been elected if the reasonable people hadn't jumped on board.  Some of his policies can be excused as standard R fare, others are meant to appeal only to the worst/angriest amongst us, like WAXXX who felt that the right to vote shouldn't be universal.

2 minutes ago, Fungi said:

your statement, while most likely well-intended, is false. my country hacked election for trump. sad but true.

Could you please shut the fuck up and stop pretending that you live in Russia and that you're not Halo 2?  Would appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, Fungi said:

your statement, while most likely well-intended, is false. my country hacked election for trump. sad but true.

I'm not sure you really understand what people mean by hacking.  Most of the voting machines were not connected to the internet, making them unhackable.  The Clinton email thing on the other hand...doesn't negate my point.

Wait, why am I explaining this?  Aren't you a fake troll?

Yeah and a White Nationalist killed 6 people because they were Muslim.

Trump has radicalized a very scary minority of angry young white men. Obviously not Trump ALONE, he's more a symptom than the root cause,  but he's making things worse.

It's a very small minority, but I'm scared it COULD be larger than we think.

A bunch of idiot college students causing property damage? Who gives a shit? Assholes do that and more when sports happen (I can never remember, is it when your team wins or loses that you riot? Both?). Doesn't make it OK, but it's still pretty fucking minor.

43 minutes ago, GalacticMelt said:

Meanwhile, UC Berkeley students protested a Breitbart prick by burning down their school and smashed ATMs, vandalized Starbucks and assaulted fellow students. What a party.

Sounds like the property destruction was a 3rd party that came just to smash shit:

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/02/01/yiannopoulos-event-canceled/?utm_content=buffercc163&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

In response, Trump is threatening revocation of federal funds, like a baby:

33 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

A white nationalist AND a Trump supporter AND a Milo fan. It's craaaazy how quickly that story got buried.

23 minutes ago, AlexH. said:

Sounds like the property destruction was a 3rd party that came just to smash shit:

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/02/01/yiannopoulos-event-canceled/?utm_content=buffercc163&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

In response, Trump is threatening revocation of federal funds, like a baby:

A white nationalist AND a Trump supporter AND a Milo fan. It's craaaazy how quickly that story got buried.

its because he's white.  and also because of how much insane shit is going on right now.  

50-50 vote count right now for DeVos.  holy fuck.  

Trump has tapped Jerry Falwell Jr to be on his Education team.  

so messed up.  

42 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

its because he's white.  and also because of how much insane shit is going on right now.  

50-50 vote count right now for DeVos.  holy fuck.  

Trump has tapped Jerry Falwell Jr to be on his Education team.  

so messed up.  

DeVos is quite frightening. As someone who works in education (though in Canada), I can foresee exactly how fucked up it will be if someone with no real understanding or care for how public schools should be run gets to take over. This is far beyond politics to me - and I'm really not sure how anything about her 'policies' could be supported by even a single republican senator. This isn't just about charter schools. This is basically about making public schools so terrible that it further restricts the potential for upward mobility that 'Merica is supposedly all about. 

Edit:
And also, to further my point, I think each of the last 5 presidents have made several measures that have made education in America worse and worse. Things like No Child Left Behind had, in theory, good intentions, but was a mess in roll out. 

Last summer I spoke to someone in a similar role to mine (special education consultant) from the suburbs of Iowa. Based on what he was saying, there was a lot of progress and amazing things happening, and his pay was enough, especially in Iowa, that his wife could stay home with the kids, and they could own three cars and a house. But I am also friends with an old message board buddy on Facebook who is a secondary teacher in Arizona, who gets paid very literally 1/3 of what I do. A total mess.

Edited by Sidney Crosley

4 minutes ago, Sidney Crosley said:

DeVos is quite frightening. As someone who works in education (though in Canada), I can foresee exactly how fucked up it will be if someone with no real understanding or care for how public schools should be run gets to take over. This is far beyond politics to me - and I'm really not sure how anything about her 'policies' could be supported by even a single republican senator. This isn't just about charter schools. This is basically about making public schools so terrible that it further restricts the potential for upward mobility that 'Merica is supposedly all about. 

The Senators are scared not to tow the party line because Trump is a giant baby who throws temper tantrums and puts you on an "enemies list" if you oppose him....and this is the man we have the nuclear codes to...

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Trump has radicalized a very scary minority of angry young white men. Obviously not Trump ALONE, he's more a symptom than the root cause,  but he's making things worse.

It's a very small minority, but I'm scared it COULD be larger than we think.

A bunch of idiot college students causing property damage? Who gives a shit? Assholes do that and more when sports happen (I can never remember, is it when your team wins or loses that you riot? Both?). Doesn't make it OK, but it's still pretty fucking minor.

No matter who caused this, whether it be the left, right or anarchists in general, it frightens me that you think it's "no big deal." Women were punched and even pepper sprayed by masked protestors. To me that's a big deal. Not sure how you could call out WAXX for his comments on women but turn a blind eye to this. But, it's your right, carry on. 

It really says a lot about a person if they think it's acceptable to destroy private property, threaten violence, and use force against fellow citizens as a means of protest. You don't get to hurt people or their property because a third party is making an argument you don't like.

29 minutes ago, Shitty Rambo said:

It really says a lot about a person if they think it's acceptable to destroy private property, threaten violence, and use force against fellow citizens as a means of protest. You don't get to hurt people or their property because a third party is making an argument you don't like.

While I agree, there is a stark difference between thinking something is 'acceptable' and thinking something is 'understandable'.