There Will Be Hell Toupée! (The Donald Trump Thread)

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

You do know that 30% of NPR's funding comes from corporations and foundations, right? And that they do advertise (sell) for those companies, rendering your two (NPR has no slant, and if you're selling you're lying {slant}) statements contradictory.

Man...you're always around, huh? :)

30%, nope, I didn't know it was that high. I did apply for a job with the local station to be an outside salesman for our NPR station, but you know what's interesting about that?

The job wasn't with NPR or the local station. A company outside of it handled all of that selling.

Let me repeat that for those in the back, the people who're selling for NPR, aren't NPR.

I suppose you won't believe that, because you're you and this is the internet, so we'll both have to be confident with the fact that NPR listeners always top the best informed lists.

2 hours ago, Battra said:

Man...you're always around, huh? :)

30%, nope, I didn't know it was that high. I did apply for a job with the local station to be an outside salesman for our NPR station, but you know what's interesting about that?

The job wasn't with NPR or the local station. A company outside of it handled all of that selling.

Let me repeat that for those in the back, the people who're selling for NPR, aren't NPR.

I suppose you won't believe that, because you're you and this is the internet, so we'll both have to be confident with the fact that NPR listeners always top the best informed lists.

But you understand that being an outside salesman and how that works vs. NPR taking money for advertising from corporations/foundations are two different things, right? They have no effect on one another.

The fact that they're receiving this money from sponsors to advertise (which is where the word sell comes in for this example) is what would possibly cause that slant we're talking about.

Full disclosure, I actually enjoy NPR quite a bit, I just wanted to let you know there might be more slant there than you thought, and where their money comes from.

Edit: an additional 12% comes from colleges and universities, of which I imagine most are left leaning.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

23 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

But you understand that being an outside salesman and how that works vs. NPR taking money for advertising from corporations/foundations are two different things, right? They have no effect on one another.

The fact that they're receiving this money from sponsors to advertise (which is where the word sell comes in for this example) is what would possibly cause that slant we're talking about.

Full disclosure, I actually enjoy NPR quite a bit, I just wanted to let you know there might be more slant there than you thought, and where their money comes from.

Edit: an additional 12% comes from colleges and universities, of which I imagine most are left leaning.

When you're looking to get money to simply pay the bills rather than lining one's pocket, it's not the same thing.

And of course colleges and unis are left leaning.

Right Wing philosophy is to look out for number one and make as much money as possible...that's not the motivation for becoming a teacher.

9 hours ago, Battra said:

When you're looking to get money to simply pay the bills rather than lining one's pocket, it's not the same thing.

And of course colleges and unis are left leaning.

Right Wing philosophy is to look out for number one and make as much money as possible...that's not the motivation for becoming a teacher.

http://blog.prepscholar.com/most-conservative-colleges

I'd wager that most state colleges especially in the northern portion of the US lean more left, but you can't make such broad statements like that. Have you never been to the south or heard of for profit universities? It's just funny to see you make these huge generalizations about things with nothing to back it up but your own opinions.

As far as a difference between advertising to "pay the bills" vs lining your pockets...there is no difference. I'd go so far as to say that plenty of gun manufacturers would donate to NPR to get their advertising on there (and pay a hefty premium at that to reach a demographic they maybe wouldn't otherwise). NPR still chooses who they want to advertise on their programs and it is purposely left leaning. If they were really struggling so hard to keep the lights on, they'd take any advertising they could from whatever angle they could. Again, I like NPR, but to imagine that they're balanced/moderate is crazy.

The best thing someone can do is get their news from a few left leaning sources and a few right leaning sources and make their own decisions based on the information they gather, because you're not going to find any place that doesn't place some kind of bias in their reporting anymore.

On 6/16/2017 at 8:24 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

http://blog.prepscholar.com/most-conservative-colleges

I'd wager that most state colleges especially in the northern portion of the US lean more left, but you can't make such broad statements like that. Have you never been to the south or heard of for profit universities? It's just funny to see you make these huge generalizations about things with nothing to back it up but your own opinions.

As far as a difference between advertising to "pay the bills" vs lining your pockets...there is no difference. I'd go so far as to say that plenty of gun manufacturers would donate to NPR to get their advertising on there (and pay a hefty premium at that to reach a demographic they maybe wouldn't otherwise). NPR still chooses who they want to advertise on their programs and it is purposely left leaning. If they were really struggling so hard to keep the lights on, they'd take any advertising they could from whatever angle they could. Again, I like NPR, but to imagine that they're balanced/moderate is crazy.

The best thing someone can do is get their news from a few left leaning sources and a few right leaning sources and make their own decisions based on the information they gather, because you're not going to find any place that doesn't place some kind of bias in their reporting anymore.

For Profit Universities are not universities. They're businesses.

Yes, I've been to The South and I stand by my statement. Rightists want to earn money, not serve their people. Liberals wish to serve the people.

As for listening to left leaning sources and right leaning sources...then you just need to choose which lies you believe. F that I said.

As for the NPR News...they're the only News Organization I can name that uses both right and left wing think tanks as sources. I should also mention, that I know a few of the folks at our local NPR station, have been interviewed multiple times, etc. 

It seems to me that the idea a news source has to be biased is a way someone can dismiss their own biases. That's kind of the problem in our country. It seems like people don't want to believe they're not the best in the world or as good as others.

Sorry, lots of folks aren't as good as other people. Like the racists I saw at the Ice Cream stand yesterday. They had the Confederate Hate flag in their window. They were pretty much terrible people.

It was clear the rest of us were better than them at life.

Anyone else think this rolling back embargo on Cuba is ridiculous?  Are there any other countries us "free" citizens aren't allowed to travel to?  Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but travel to North Korea, the Sudan, China, and Saudi Arabia are all cool (pretty sure we're even alright to travel to Afghanistan and Iraq without issue), but Cuba isn't cool because of their history of civil rights abuse?

Im falling off the point by saying this next part, but seriously it really frustrates me that a party that has so proported themselves as being in favor of freedom and personal liberty has taken such a hardline against both.

6 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Trump just hates Obama. His base just hates Obama. 

He's just going to try to undue anything Obama did to appease those people and boost his own ego.

Every policy created with a pen can be undone with pen.   If any of Barry's ideas got thru Congress they wouldn't be gone so quickly.    But he chose the quick, easy and reversible way to start wars, deal with dictators and our own open border policy.   

2 hours ago, mac1 said:

Every policy created with a pen can be undone with pen.   If any of Barry's ideas got thru Congress they wouldn't be gone so quickly.    But he chose the quick, easy and reversible way to start wars, deal with dictators and our own open border policy.   

Very true. He never went through congress on anything. Never cared about what the American people thought.  Just signed his name.  Why is everyone so mad that Trump is doing the same thing?  

11 hours ago, nancy_raygun said:

Anyone else think this rolling back embargo on Cuba is ridiculous?  Are there any other countries us "free" citizens aren't allowed to travel to?  Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but travel to North Korea, the Sudan, China, and Saudi Arabia are all cool (pretty sure we're even alright to travel to Afghanistan and Iraq without issue), but Cuba isn't cool because of their history of civil rights abuse?

Im falling off the point by saying this next part, but seriously it really frustrates me that a party that has so proported themselves as being in favor of freedom and personal liberty has taken such a hardline against both.

you can't travel to north korea, sudan, afghanistan, or iraq without issue. under the new cuba policy, people can still travel to cuba under 12 different OFAC licenses. the policy's biggest change is rolling back the obama policy that softened the restrictions on cuban tourism. this is important because the Grupo de Administración Empresarial is a cuban military monopoly that controls somewhere around 60% of the retail and tourism business. in essence, american tourists would be directly supporting a castro-era military monopoly. as with many trump proposals, this appears to be one of those "deal-making" approaches to curtail the power of Grupo de Administración Empresarial until the cuban government concedes greater rights to its citizens when it comes to owning and operating private businesses.

so no, i don't find the policy ridiculous. it's a little ridiculous that travel to certain countries have restrictions, but usually there's an underlying cause that is at least somewhat reasonable.

i guess you can make the argument that your freedoms as an american citizen should allow you to financially support and vacation in a neighboring communist dictatorship, but i'd rather see a strong USA use its leverage to improve the conditions of the cuban people.

Actual political opinions aside, I 100% believe Trump is just trying to undo anything Obama did for purely egotistical and childish reasons. He'd try to overturn marriage equality if he didn't know for a fact it would plummet his approval rating even lower than it already is now.

12 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Funny how that whole, "where there's smoke there's fire," nonsense the far left applies to everyone else gets thrown out the window when it happens to one of their guys.

If Bernie said a no-no word or was a guy in a band an anonymous person on Tumblr  accused of abuse with absolutely no details whatsoever his career would be over. But hey, for these jokers seizing excessive sums of money by any means is OK, unless it's done through a voluntary exchange (aka capitalism).

i feel bad for old man bernie. he gets cheated out of the democratic nomination, he sells his soul to publicly support the woman he spent months bashing in public, his donations (largely from poor young adults) then get funneled to hillary clinton's campaign, now he's under FBI investigation for finance crimes less than a year after buying his third house. feels bad man.

4 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

i feel bad for old man bernie. he gets cheated out of the democratic nomination, he sells his soul to publicly support the woman he spent months bashing in public, his donations (largely from poor young adults) then get funneled to hillary clinton's campaign, now he's under FBI investigation for finance crimes less than a year after buying his third house. feels bad man.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, WAXXX said:

Haha, I agree. He's so fake its pathetic. I can't believe people actually fell for supporting this guy! He more crooked than Hillary.