There Will Be Hell Toupée! (The Donald Trump Thread)

Markets definitely fluctuate based off speculation, yeah.  But regardless, the economy has has been on an upward climb for long before Trump was even on the political radar.

You also have outside factors to what you specifically brought up, US to Euro exchange, such as Brexit.

1 minute ago, stl_ben said:

Give it a year or two or three...then lets see how he actually handles the economy.

I would love to be proven wrong.  

This.

2 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

"analytical reporters" LOL

DYNt7z0.jpg

This is a poor argument.  If I do some math and tell you that there is a 99.9% chance that X Football team wins SHINYSPORTSCUP and then they DON'T it doesn't mean my math was wrong.  It just means that the result was a less likely outcome.

Now, I'm not saying that the polling wasn't flawed (I'm sure it is).  But just posting someone's prediction doesn't prove anything.  That's not how math works.

1 hour ago, daegor said:

This is a poor argument.  If I do some math and tell you that there is a 99.9% chance that X Football team wins SHINYSPORTSCUP and then they DON'T it doesn't mean my math was wrong.  It just means that the result was a less likely outcome.

Now, I'm not saying that the polling wasn't flawed (I'm sure it is).  But just posting someone's prediction doesn't prove anything.  That's not how math works.

dude, i'm just happy that i can buy crates of vinyl from europe right now and get them shipped to my door for extremely attractive prices due to the current strength of the US dollar.

does anyone remember when stocks surged and the markets had an optimistic outlook when the news broke that obama won the 2008 election? no. because it didn't happen.

no serious pollster or analytics firm would give a presidential candidate a 98.1% chance of winning. that's pure bullshit and a campaign strategy that clearly backfired.

15 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I feel like the drastic improvement in the stock market could just be annual trends surrounding holiday consumerism and the inevitable mass investment that comes with it. I've been following the trends lately and that seems like it makes the most sense.

hmm. feelings-based economics. is this what they are teaching in schools these days!?

1 hour ago, WAXXX said:

does anyone remember when stocks surged and the markets had an optimistic outlook when the news broke that obama won the 2008 election? no. because it didn't happen.

Nope, and if it did, and someone argued that it was due to Obama winning I'd say that was incorrect as well.

1 hour ago, WAXXX said:

no serious pollster or analytics firm would give a presidential candidate a 98.1% chance of winning. that's pure bullshit and a campaign strategy that clearly backfired.

That is a stronger argument, yeah.  How you get to 98.1% is questionable.  The bigger issue is that applying mathematics to something as fluid as OPINIONS has a huge margin of error.  On top of that you could have two people take the same information and come to two different predictions and they'd both be correct.  This leaves the door open to being able to produce the result you want to see.

It also highlights how utterly irrelevant something like polling is, but people have always been open to being influenced by irrelevant information.

21 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

hmm. feelings-based economics. is this what they are teaching in schools these days!?

Almost as bad as feeling-based conclusions, yeah?

2 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

It's not really feelings-based when I stated my claim and cited my reasoning before saying "it seems" right. 

4 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

I feel like the drastic improvement in the stock market could just be annual trends surrounding holiday consumerism and the inevitable mass investment that comes with it. I've been following the trends lately and that seems like it makes the most sense.

you literally started your post with how you felt, used verb tense that indicated uncertainty, and concluded with subjective perception.

feels versus reals.

13 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

oh. it's you who are wrong.

Every year for the last five years, around early-to-mid November, the DOW (generally what people use as a benchmark when they say "the economy" or "the stock market" is doing well/poorly) jumps up, stays steady with minor dips for about two months, then drops off sometime from mid-January to early February. 

Also worth note is that the CPI dropped from October to November of last year, so technically the value of the dollar was slightly worse than it was before the election.