All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

6 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I trust your tastes a good bit.  As a fairly big fan of Ghosts and The Fragile, would you say this is potentially right up my alley?  Thinking about taking it for a proper spin before deciding on a purchase, but doing so requires a good bit of time and bandwidth that I'd like to ensure is worth the effort.

Thanks, Derek.  If you like Ghosts and The Fragile, I honestly don't see why you wouldn't like this. It's not a direct comparison to Ghosts--much more straightforward--but it's great to hear some altered instrumentals from these sessions. I'm not a NIN fanboy. I much prefer the experimentation that Reznor has done with Ross in recent years. That said, I enjoy most of the NIN catalog, and The Fragile was always one of my favorite "classic" NIN releases.

The purchase is a bit of a commitment, especially at this time of year, but it's solid music. I'm sure you'll kick yourself in the ass later when it sells out if you pass now. At least that was my reasoning. 

2 minutes ago, jrodan said:

lol

I know it sounds ridiculous but it's not available to stream or on Youtube as far as I know.  I legitimately own ~95% of [new] releases I check out and enjoy, but $96 PPD is too steep of a gamble to grab the vinyl and a download of something I may or may not dig.  Especially after spending for the holidays, you know?

3 minutes ago, throwgncpr said:

Thanks, Derek.  If you like Ghosts and The Fragile, I honestly don't see why you wouldn't like this. It's not a direct comparison to Ghosts--much more straightforward--but it's great to hear some altered instrumentals from these sessions. I'm not a NIN fanboy. I much prefer the experimentation that Reznor has done with Ross in recent years. That said, I enjoy most of the NIN catalog, and The Fragile was always one of my favorite "classic" NIN releases.

The purchase is a bit of a commitment, especially at this time of year, but it's solid music. I'm sure you'll kick yourself in the ass later when it sells out if you pass now. At least that was my reasoning. 

I appreciate the insight.  Ghosts I-IV really clicks with me as well, even if it's a little bloated at spots.  [And to be expected considering their approach and writing style, I'd say.]  The idea of something Ghosts-esque but with a lot more direction is really appealing to me, and I recall The Fragile being pretty impressive from a musical / songwriting standpoint.  Considering the NIN aftermarket, I don't foresee new copies of Deviations selling for cheap down the road, and I have no problem whatsoever pulling the trigger on a set if I end up enjoying it.  I'm just really curious to hear at least some chunks of it [clusters of 2-3] songs to determine if its own living, breathing piece of art... or if it just feels like a naked version of The Fragile that'll make me want to listen to that instead.

6 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

If anyone's DL is broken for Deviations, or if you just want to hear it, it's in my signature's wantlist link

Thanks! Tried to download it but it kept stalling out. It may be the site you use. Weird. Any chance to Dropbox it to me? Or anyone?

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

Thanks! Tried to download it but it kept stalling out. It may be the site you use. Weird. Any chance to Dropbox it to me? Or anyone?

I can try to reupload it @ Dropbox when I get home if nobody else gets it to you first. I have issues with MEGA sometimes too, depends on the day it seems.

Edited by DOMAN127

I'm reading that the digital copy of the "definitive" Broken is brickwalled to hell, and allegedly sounds considerably worse than the normal version out there.  Hope that doesn't translate to vinyl, though I don't see why it wouldn't.  Also hoping that the rest of the remasters don't fall into the same category.

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

I'm reading that the digital copy of the "definitive" Broken is brickwalled to hell, and allegedly sounds considerably worse than the normal version out there.  Hope that doesn't translate to vinyl, though I don't see why it wouldn't.  Also hoping that the rest of the remasters don't fall into the same category.

Pretty much all of the reseases in this package have had kids like DR #s. But that has zero to do with the vinyl masterings (hopefully).

Ultimately I don't give a shit about DR numbers, but people freaked out about Hesitation Marks DR numbers (especially the HD DL), but the vinyl had the best master in terms of DR marks. It's possible that these reissues are similar. 

Thats being said, I always think twice about people complaining about DRs and waveforms and whatnot. Does music always have to be so thoroughly analyzed, or can pople just have fun and listen to it as it is. 

13 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Ultimately I don't give a shit about DR numbers, but people freaked out about Hesitation Marks DR numbers (especially the HD DL), but the vinyl had the best master in terms of DR marks. It's possible that these reissues are similar. 

Thats being said, I always think twice about people complaining about DRs and waveforms and whatnot. Does music always have to be so thoroughly analyzed, or can pople just have fun and listen to it as it is. 

I whole heartedly agree.

24 minutes ago, throughbeingcruel said:

Coming from the guy who demands to know who cut every record he buys :P

Well yeah, I like to know what I'm buying. How many times do people buy LPs and they turn out to sound like shit, same mastering as CD etc.

I try to buy each album once, and once only (except for my favorites). ;)