All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

I get people who can't hear instrumentals without feeling the vacuum of the vocals, but that's just familiarity.  I've always been a big fan of instrumentals, I find that if I've had a lot of time to absorb the album with vocals before I hear it without, I'll feel that vacuum stronger, but repeat listens of the instrumental album lessen that.

Being that I had already listened to the instrumental Fragile that had been released prior to this a bunch, Deviations wasn't that jarring to me (there there were a few songs where I was waiting for Trent, and on March where I instantly heard Saul, haha).

I also don't feel that that vacuum takes away from or lessens the listening experience.

I had a thought on it being called Deviations 1, as well.  It doesn't make sense that Deviations 2 will be a different album, that would mean the sequence is just random.  If there is going to be a Deviations 2 it's going to be related to The Fragile again.  Assuming this is all pre-existing material (more or less), it would make sense that it would be Things Falling Apart (or a modified version of it).  Broken > Fixed, The Downward Spiral > Further Down The Spiral / Closer to God / Recoiled, Year Zero > Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D, etc.

Trent has complained a lot in the past about going overboard with remixes, but he's clearly a fan at the same time.  So I wouldn't be surprised if Deviations 2 was a carefully curated/constructed remix album.  Personally I really liked Fixed, Things Falling Apart, and Recoiled.

Edited by daegor

To reiterate, I think it's pretty cool that this release - or any - can mean so many things to so many different people... but downplaying the project because it lacks vocals feels like lowering the rating on a movie's score or OST because it's entirely instrumental.  Or more accurately, I guess it'd be like Mozart commissioning a score for an opera, and seeing that opera many time over many years, and then finding yourself nonplussed when he releases his composition separately.

That isn't to equate to Reznor to Mozart, necessarily.  I just want to remind anyone who takes the time to read my posts that I am hardly a dedicated NIN fan, and that there are individuals in this thread who've been listening to them for about as long as I've been alive.  But I feel as though that just speaks even more volume about my point: maybe it's because I'm able to listen to TF:D1 without having the regular edition and its vocals engrained into my head, but I think Trent's compositions are pretty fucking awesome, and strong enough to stand on their own two feet.  Genuine question to anyone let down by their $80+ purchase – when you first listened to Ghosts I-IV, did you hold your breath in anticipation of Trent belting out some lyrics?  Or did you go into it knowing that it'd be instrumental?  I don't think this release is that different at all.  Of course your mileage is going to vary, but I really think you'll be getting the most bang for your buck if you throw on The Fragile when you're in the mood for the album with vocals, and Deviations 1 when you're ready to go on a separate journey.  To me they feel like two very different, enjoyable experiences – not where one is watered or stripped down from the other.

Just my 2¢.  I have no horse in this race, but considering what I'm getting out of TF:D1, personally, I eventually will have one.

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

Looks like there was an issue with dl links being sent if you also bought NTAE. Most people have gotten the NTAE links from last week but no others...

I think some people don't realize that the original email that had the DL link for NTAE, is the same link for the other DLs also. They weren't there when we originally clicked the link for NTAE, but they are available now.

3 hours ago, jhulud said:

I emailed the customer service for my download for TF:D1 and got a reply about 3-4 days later. Maybe longer. I'd already gotten the DL that Doman hooked us up with. 

Can I ask what email you contacted, I did not get any links for Fragile, Broken or Deviations.

3 hours ago, jhulud said:

I emailed the customer service for my download for TF:D1 and got a reply about 3-4 days later. Maybe longer. I'd already gotten the DL that Doman hooked us up with. 

Can I ask what email you contacted, I did not get any links for Fragile, Broken or Deviations.

3 hours ago, vinyl addict said:

I think some people don't realize that the original email that had the DL link for NTAE, is the same link for the other DLs also. They weren't there when we originally clicked the link for NTAE, but they are available now.

Thanks for the heads up TF:D1 is now populating.  Did anyone get a high res GG or TGWTDT they care to share?

12 hours ago, Adam10647 said:

Has any one gotten the Cargo in Blood book? I'm a big fan of art books and Mills but 300 bucks is a tall order.  If you got it what's you feelings of coast vs value?

I have it.  $300 is definitely a lot to spend.  I'd only recommend this to the super hardcore NIN fan or someone who is really, realllllly into art books.  I'm a NIN fan, but not nearly as hardcore as others, but I picked this up our of sheer curiosity and because I'm generally a fan of whatever imagery that Trent tends to run with. 

That said, the book is *huge*.  It's....heavy.   The book is covered in felt and resides inside a felt covered case with a cover that folds out with a (heavy) sheet of metal embedded in it.  The front of said case is burnt which is a nice touch.   The book itself has a LOT of images...great color, textures, thought provoking stuff that would take you hours to absorb if you're into that sort of thing.  The pages and print are absolutely outstanding.  Many of the pages have a neat metallic tinge to them...sort of a shiny "sheen" for lack of better words.  Honestly, it's a gorgeous piece that is a really super nice addition to any NIN fan's collection. 

I'd say it's well worth the money of what it most likely cost to produce the thing.   Is it worth $300 for something you may end up leaving on a shelf and rarely look at or even handle because you're afraid of wear/tear?  For me, that's the bigger question. 

10 hours ago, bungie said:

I have it.  $300 is definitely a lot to spend.  I'd only recommend this to the super hardcore NIN fan or someone who is really, realllllly into art books.  I'm a NIN fan, but not nearly as hardcore as others, but I picked this up our of sheer curiosity and because I'm generally a fan of whatever imagery that Trent tends to run with. 

That said, the book is *huge*.  It's....heavy.   The book is covered in felt and resides inside a felt covered case with a cover that folds out with a (heavy) sheet of metal embedded in it.  The front of said case is burnt which is a nice touch.   The book itself has a LOT of images...great color, textures, thought provoking stuff that would take you hours to absorb if you're into that sort of thing.  The pages and print are absolutely outstanding.  Many of the pages have a neat metallic tinge to them...sort of a shiny "sheen" for lack of better words.  Honestly, it's a gorgeous piece that is a really super nice addition to any NIN fan's collection. 

I'd say it's well worth the money of what it most likely cost to produce the thing.   Is it worth $300 for something you may end up leaving on a shelf and rarely look at or even handle because you're afraid of wear/tear?  For me, that's the bigger question. 

Cool thanks for the info. Still on the fence may have to wait till I get some sort of cash windfall. I appreciate the review .