All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

On 1/6/2017 at 9:42 AM, daegor said:

Cool your jets everyone.  Loud does not = bad.

Everyone with an ear is inclined to think so because of lazy engineers/misinformed label execs who thought making a mix louder was automatically better, hence the loudness wars.

But just because it's loud (or even, if it clips) does not automatically make it bad.  Especially in 'noisy' music.

I don't have a four-digit hi-fi system, but these cuts sound pretty damn good to me.

On 1/6/2017 at 0:19 PM, dobyblue said:

I find the CD kicks you in the teeth harder, that's generally what I expect given the bigger impact in the change of volume between the loud and soft passages not there to the same extent in the remaster. There's a reason why those loud bangs in horror movies add to the shock/scare of whatever is occurring on screen, it would lose its effect substantially were we to see this sort of sonic signature in movies.

Loudness does not equal bad necessarily.   But more dynamic, i.e. kick from drums and the like does sound more gooder.

I think loudness war music rubs people the wrong way who listen to entire albums in one sitting.   Hearing a loudly mastered song is great for a few minutes at a time.  Hearing a 45+minute album with little dynamic is grating, oftentimes boring.   I've had more than a handful of albums sound dull on digital and rhythmic on their vinyl releases.  That's the whole reason I like vinyl.  Not into the packaging/color variants/display aspect.

That said, I've given each of the remaster downloads a listen this last week or so.  They do sound clearer (mostly the noise textures, buzzing, some drums, etc) and don't exhibit the typical dull sound I'd associate with loudness war material.   Now going back to a CD or LP version, I find some production elements are noticeably less clear but overall the album is more exciting, builds to a crescendo, and sounds more like a live performance.    

tlDR; 'memba dynamics

Edited by firefoxussr

7 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

Loudness does not equal bad necessarily.   But more dynamic, i.e. kick from drums and the like does sound more gooder.

Totally depends on whether or not it's intentional, especially in 'harsher' electronic music, it's not unusual for artist to be going for a 'blown out' sound.

15 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

I think loudness war music rubs people the wrong way who listen to entire albums in one sitting.   Hearing a loudly mastered song is great for a few minutes at a time.  Hearing a 45+minute album with little dynamic is grating,

I guess this is what Doby was referring to as fatigue from listening.

I don't get this at all. 

33 minutes ago, daegor said:

Totally depends on whether or not it's intentional, especially in 'harsher' electronic music, it's not unusual for artist to be going for a 'blown out' sound.

yes, obviously.  but the loudness war mastering is not this thing.   it's more like car sales ad versus a movie.

just imagine if every emotional line in a movie was delivered at the volume of "GET YOURSELF A 2017 KIA SORENTO TODAY!"

37 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

yes, obviously.  but the loudness war mastering is not this thing.   it's more like car sales ad versus a movie.

just imagine if every emotional line in a movie was delivered at the volume of "GET YOURSELF A 2017 KIA SORENTO TODAY!"

I mean, it'd be jarring yeah, but it still comes down to intent, haha.

But yes.  If you are intending on dynamic range and clarity you do not achieve it but blowing out the volume.

I 100% understand where every single post on this page is coming from, and I wholeheartedly agree with all points made, but I still feel like the definitive remasters don't tread anywhere near the realm of "blown out".  But that's just my take.  I'll wait to hear how the official vinyl sounds since anything can happen in the pressing process, but as it stands I'm currently enjoying The Fragile more than I ever have and don't find it necessary to swap paragraphs and spectrographs to defend why my ears aren't fatigued from listening to it from start to finish.

8 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

Also, give credit to Trent. Hes not a dummy, especially when it comes to audio and presentation. If its this way, he wants to present the music in this way. 

I think this is it right here.  We're talking about a modern day master.  Anything he does at this point in his career is completely intentional. 

12 hours ago, highfives said:

Didn't that leak a week or two ago?  If so, it should be coming soon I'd guess.

It was whatever an awards screener of a CD would be.  The things they give to Academy members and stuff for award nomination consideration.  Retail could still be a ways out.

On 1/9/2017 at 4:51 PM, Derek™ said:

I 100% understand where every single post on this page is coming from, and I wholeheartedly agree with all points made, but I still feel like the definitive remasters don't tread anywhere near the realm of "blown out".  But that's just my take.  I'll wait to hear how the official vinyl sounds since ...

Same here.  I take issue when the only version of a recording is the blown out sounding loudasfck master.  I love loud music, but I like some dramatic passages too.  Even in the loudest of music, you should still have cymbals not drowned in guitars/vocals.  NIN has made a less dynamic master that still sounds great.

And I'm nearly certain even if the loud masters are given to the pressing plant, they will go through some sort of change just to make it work on vinyl.  Also do keep in mind that Sr. Reznor may be giving a multi-track to whomever is mastering the vinyl edition.  He didn't say 'yo i'ma drop the flac on the vinyl house and have them press this old crap'.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:21 AM, firefoxussr said:

Same here.  I take issue when the only version of a recording is the blown out sounding loudasfck master.  I love loud music, but I like some dramatic passages too.  Even in the loudest of music, you should still have cymbals not drowned in guitars/vocals.  NIN has made a less dynamic master that still sounds great.

And I'm nearly certain even if the loud masters are given to the pressing plant, they will go through some sort of change just to make it work on vinyl.  Also do keep in mind that Sr. Reznor may be giving a multi-track to whomever is mastering the vinyl edition.  He didn't say 'yo i'ma drop the flac on the vinyl house and have them press this old crap'.

He actually did state on ETS that the 24-bit downloads are the masters being used for vinyl.

The only changes they will go through at the cutting house (the pressing house is unlikely doing the lacquers, Hesitation Marks was cut by Chris Bellman and pressed at crappy URP) would be things like making the low end mono, de-essing, things that make the record playable. Their goal is to match the master they're sent as accurately as possible.

Have you downloaded the multitracks for Year Zero? Listening to a recompiled In This Twilight with the same dynamics as the 1989 CD of Pretty Hate Machine cranked up on a good system is pretty awesome. This is what's frustrating about Trent, he has so much cool shit going on like appreciating surround sound (releasing The Social Network score as a 5.1 high resolution Blu-ray, who else does that? Hardly anyone!), dropping unmastered fully dynamic multitracks to two entire albums as well as a bunch of other stuff (Jane's Addiction Chip Away/Whores) - I can't even count on one hand how many times I've heard that happen, instrumentals, fighting like hell for fans to get the best tickets to show with their names on them scalper-free and calling out TM/LN at the same time (shame they deleted the forums where his post was), insanely brilliant live shows, doing two masterings (HM, even if the audiophile one turned out to be a big disappointment), dumping 400GB raw live footage via torrents, but then eviscerates the dynamics of Broken and calls it definitive! Has his hearing gone the way of Rick Rubin's? I don't know, I'm not his audiologist, lol.

In a perfect world they'd have released the DRminusinfinity version of Broken as a 16-bit download and done a nice new fully dynamic remastering for 24/96 version. You don't, and if you do you're doing it wrong, listen to 24/96 while jumping around at the gym, you do listen to 24/96 on your main system designed around maximum playback fidelity.

2 hours ago, jhulud said:

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross Score Ken Burns’s ‘Vietnam War’

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/arts/music/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-ken-burns-vietnam.html?_r=2

Wow! Awesome news and great choice for the subject matter. Sounds really cool too, 2+ hours of new material, some reworked bits of NIN and other scores, roll on September.

I don't find The Social Network has a lot of replay value as a movie (I listen to the score), but Dragon Tattoo is amazing on repeat viewings and I find I enjoy it more and more each time...and the music doesn't hurt.

2 hours ago, jhulud said:

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross Score Ken Burns’s ‘Vietnam War’

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/arts/music/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-ken-burns-vietnam.html?_r=2

Wow! Awesome news and great choice for the subject matter. Sounds really cool too, 2+ hours of new material, some reworked bits of NIN and other scores, roll on September.

I don't find The Social Network has a lot of replay value as a movie (I listen to the score), but Dragon Tattoo is amazing on repeat viewings and I find I enjoy it more and more each time...and the music doesn't hurt.