All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

16 hours ago, ptothedo said:

this man needs a vacation

His vacation should be a trip around the US. He should bring instruments and a band with him. If he wants to set up and play in my town, I wouldn't be mad about it. 

Edited by negavinyl

18 hours ago, dobyblue said:

He actually did state on ETS that the 24-bit downloads are the masters being used for vinyl.

The only changes they will go through at the cutting house (the pressing house is unlikely doing the lacquers, Hesitation Marks was cut by Chris Bellman and pressed at crappy URP) would be things like making the low end mono, de-essing, things that make the record playable. Their goal is to match the master they're sent as accurately as possible.

Have you downloaded the multitracks for Year Zero? Listening to a recompiled In This Twilight with the same dynamics as the 1989 CD of Pretty Hate Machine cranked up on a good system is pretty awesome.

Yeah I recall the HM vinyl wasn't a huge step up in sound compared to other releases.   

I have heard about fans making a dynamic mix of YZ from the multi-tracks.  I looked at public postings...trail went cold. PM me in the right direction?  

Edited by firefoxussr

3 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

Yeah I recall the HM vinyl wasn't a huge step up in sound compared to other releases.   

I have heard about fans making a dynamic mix of YZ from the multi-tracks.  I looked at public postings...trail went cold. PM me in the right direction?  

Authorized by TR; all you need to do is load each file in Audacity, CTRL+A to select all and then choose TRACKS > MIX AND RENDER.

I can't recall if you need to amplify by minus 10dB or not first but you'll know if you mix and render and everything goes red like an Oasis waveform clipping to shite!

If you aren't too familiar with the process, let me know and I'll throw In This Twilight into a Dropbox. If TR has authorized it, I can't see it being an issue with anyone.

The multitracks (choose full length) are located here - http://www.ninremixes.com/multitracks.php

You can also snag The Slip from here and the NIN/JA tour sampler and get a nice dynamic mix of Chip Away from Jane's Addiction. Most of the other multis are not the original studio multis but rather Rock Band stems and the like. Each one is noted though so if there are one or two others they'll be easy to find.

Oh yeah, "Suck" (Pigface version) is there also as well as The Hand That Feeds and Only.

As you are familiar with DR stuff, check out the difference between THTF from Halo 18 (single)  vs. multitracks rendered to stereo:

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR5       -1.04 dB    -7.54 dB      3:39 01-The Hand That Feeds
DR14      -0.43 dB   -17.66 dB      3:38 01-The Hand That Feeds (from Multitracks)
Edited by dobyblue

13 minutes ago, dobyblue said:

Authorized by TR; all you need to do is load each file in Audacity, CTRL+A to select all and then choose TRACKS > MIX AND RENDER.

I can't recall if you need to amplify by minus 10dB or not first but you'll know if you mix and render and everything goes red like an Oasis waveform clipping to shite!

If you aren't too familiar with the process, let me know and I'll throw In This Twilight into a Dropbox. If TR has authorized it, I can't see it being an issue with anyone.

The multitracks (choose full length) are located here - http://www.ninremixes.com/multitracks.php

You can also snag The Slip from here and the NIN/JA tour sampler and get a nice dynamic mix of Chip Away from Jane's Addiction. Most of the other multis are not the original studio multis but rather Rock Band stems and the like. Each one is noted though so if there are one or two others they'll be easy to find.

Oh yeah, "Suck" (Pigface version) is there also as well as The Hand That Feeds and Only.

I remember doing those THTF and Only remixes way back in the day.  That shit was fun.

On 2017-01-13 at 1:53 PM, dobyblue said:

As you are familiar with DR stuff, check out the difference between THTF from Halo 18 (single)  vs. multitracks rendered to stereo:

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR5       -1.04 dB    -7.54 dB      3:39 01-The Hand That Feeds
DR14      -0.43 dB   -17.66 dB      3:38 01-The Hand That Feeds (from Multitracks)

the multitracks are unmastered and unmixed, you can't really just throw them into audacity and mix and render...

On 1/16/2017 at 6:33 PM, boxenstien said:

the multitracks are unmastered and unmixed, you can't really just throw them into audacity and mix and render...

For the full albums offered they're only unmastered, but they're mixed in stereo and time coded properly where they'd be found in the stereo final mix so rendering gives you the equivalent of a unmastered stereo mix. As they note, "With the release of Year Zero multitracks were released in "full length" format, which made it easier to combine and re-create the original track, and also made it easier for beginning remixers to hit the ground running"

If you download the Garageband files then you're getting the individual samples and every little track and those are not mixed, those would be for a more accomplished remixer.

So you can get unmastered mixes of the entirety of Year Zero and The Slip as well as THTF and Only from WT that are fully dynamic and sound absolutely fab cranked.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2017 at 0:57 PM, rogeoa8 said:

few bands could sell their fans a bag of rocks and have their fans thank them.

Funny, but…

1. it's not a bag of rocks

2. who's thanking them?

3. if this had been included with the LP as "deluxe edition" bonus content or something, people would be praising him for including nice liner notes & companion material

On 1/8/2017 at 1:49 PM, psus2h said:

9 hours ago, the industry said:

Funny, but…

1. it's not a bag of rocks

2. who's thanking them?

3. if this had been included with the LP as "deluxe edition" bonus content or something, people would be praising him for including nice liner notes & companion material

Most people bought it not even knowing what it was. I think if half the people were aware of what they were buying they never would have made the purchase (like me).

Well. I'm of the obsessed mindset that if Reznor released recordings of him farting and processed with Atticus on a tape-loop and inscribed on Papyrus paper, I'd still buy it. Once this "physical component" arrives...I plan to leave it sealed. After seeing the numerous pics of it and whatnot, not opening it and making a mess at home.

Not trying to be a know it all (seriously), but I read that description and was like 'hmm, nope'.  I mean, I spent $400 on vinyl, it would have been a drop in the bucket.  I figured it was probably some sort of creative and interesting companion piece to the record, and given the description he'd come up with some way to make most people actually regret purchasing it.

Now that being said, I found that an interesting idea, it just wasn't worth the money to buy it and ship it to Canada.  I figured I could see the pictures later, go 'huh, that's neat', and be satisfied.  And that's exactly how it went down for me, haha.

1 hour ago, jhulud said:

Well. I'm of the obsessed mindset that if Reznor released recordings of him farting and processed with Atticus on a tape-loop and inscribed on Papyrus paper, I'd still buy it. Once this "physical component" arrives...I plan to leave it sealed. After seeing the numerous pics of it and whatnot, not opening it and making a mess at home.

Yes, I'm a die-hard fan also, I own all the Halo LPs, but I have no need for some dust in an envelope. I can't play it on my turntable.

I think it's important to remember that while a majority of us purchased the NTAE LP, other fans purchased the digital download because they don't have a turntable or weren't interested in the vinyl.  The digital download included the physical component, so other than a few of us who were curious, people who wanted only the digital DL got this with it.  I think it's a fascinating idea. Sure it's a bit nutty, but what do you expect from TR?

1 hour ago, psus2h said:

I think it's important to remember that while a majority of us purchased the NTAE LP, other fans purchased the digital download because they don't have a turntable or weren't interested in the vinyl.  The digital download included the physical component, so other than a few of us who were curious, people who wanted only the digital DL got this with it.  I think it's a fascinating idea. Sure it's a bit nutty, but what do you expect from TR?

Entirely true, I had forgotten about that.

To be fair though, it's not like nin.com was the exclusive retailer of the digital.