All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

5 minutes ago, markok said:

You guys do understand that most probably you are not paying for the manufacturing but for the re-working of the album? They are not touring for this thing,  so how do they get their "investment" back?

Does not compute. If the fanbase had to subsidize some intense level of man hours that somehow justifies the cost of this cheap package they were better off not doing it. I don't think that work on compiling or mixing out the vocals costs that much. You do the work and then you press the physical media. You don't pass man hour costs on to the consumer. Not usually anyway.

I had seconds thoughts from the second i purchased it, but I was really interested in hearing this and as it supposedly won't be repressed I didn't want to risk tracking it down later for even more $$ after it sells out... which it will at some point. But considering I just got the latest Sun Kil Moon 4 LP for under $40 shipped, there is no way this should be over $50. And shipping them media with no extra padding is pretty unbelievable.

I mean, it was $80 now 6 months ago, so it's not like I miss the money, but I feel a bit cheated as well after getting the package. This could have/should have easily been no more than $50. Especially since Ghosts was like $30 on release. If it had been extremely limited, I could MAYBE justify the high cost, but the fact that it's still available to purchase kills that theory.

Oh well, I'll still enjoy it.

What rips my ass about this whole thing so far...is that Sandbag over-packed the Lost Highway and Prick LP's I ordered...larger boxes and a crapload of bubblewrap and they both essentially arrived fine without any major damage(s)...and yet for these TF:D1, they're half-assing it all the way with weak-ass LP mailers and no padding whatsoever.

And for an $80 release that's barebones and lacking anything really special...that'd adding insult to injury here.

My wife and I went and got our NIN tattoos tonight, in honor of our favorite artist ever. To make the night even better, our Deviations I The Fragile Vinyl showed up today instead of Monday! We were veryyy weary opening it, crossing our fingers it was ok... (Ive recieved albums with bent corners before and didnt care, but with our favorite band we would ask for a replacement for sure) Opened it up, mint! Not damaged at all, we lucked out! It is absolutely beautiful and sounds great. Now we can anxiously await the fragile repress in 2 months.. That is our favorite album ever made by anyone, cant wait to see and hear it. I think this shouldve been $40 and the fragile $80. But we are fine with the prices because theyre great quality. Like previously said, I wish it had a small A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H on the image in the center and not have to hold it up to the light, but its alright. :)

tskDzFp.jpg

Absolutely beautiful and very artistic.. 

1myDOma.jpg

I chose the Halo Twenty Eight logo on the back of my leg. My wife chose the classic NIN logo on her wrist. 

Josh Edwards at Rose of No Mans Land, Woodbury MN

Hq6eE6l.jpg

Cant waittttttttt for the other represses. Hoping for With Teeth, Year Zero, and The Slip soon.. Cant wait for EP II as well!!!! 

We are going to see NIN in NYC and Chicago in a couple/few months. Cant wait, its been a few years since weve seen them.. 

16 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Does not compute. If the fanbase had to subsidize some intense level of man hours that somehow justifies the cost of this cheap package they were better off not doing it. I don't think that work on compiling or mixing out the vocals costs that much. You do the work and then you press the physical media. You don't pass man hour costs on to the consumer. Not usually anyway.

Every business (at least every successful one) passes man hour costs onto the consumer. Time=money. If you don't charge for time, you can't be profitable. 

1 hour ago, thetrackt said:

Getting back to the packaging. What are the odds the Fragile reissue comes with the original 24 page oversized book that the original press did? I would be severely bummed if they cut corners on that thing. 

I never thought about the fact that the repress WOULDN'T come with the booklet. Damn I hope they don't skimp on that. 

19 hours ago, markok said:

You guys do understand that most probably you are not paying for the manufacturing but for the re-working of the album? They are not touring for this thing,  so how do they get their "investment" back?

Since this is a big reissue campaign with the added bonus of Deviations, it's really similar to what the Pumpkins did with their remaster/reissue series.  The Aeroplane Flies High could be considered their Deviations except it has 5 LPs.  That box, which was a hard slip case with foil printing and sparkle stock on the LP sleeves was retailing for around $100 ($90-$115 depending).  Never did I really feel ripped off when buying it (at $90) and I think it's because it looked and felt substantial.

Same for Mellon Collie.  That was a ground up reissue because it changed the track order and expanded from a 3xLP to 4xLP set but it included 2 huge booklets inside a slip case.  And I bought that fucker for $65, although out of the gate it was retailing for $80.

But the point is,  the Pumpkins weren't touring on that music at the time either.  So it was all to sell those records and the price was reflecting the labor that went into the project.

Not to beat the dead animals, but I think the disappointment is warranted, even if the pressing is great and sounds really nice.  Packaging and presentation make a huge fucking difference in what consumers will stomach when shelling out money.

Edited by highfives

Mine is supposed to show up on Monday and I already feel a bit disappointed :(  I haven't listened to the digital at all, so I'm pretty excited to give it a listen.  But the combination of a long wait, lackluster packaging and the worries of it showing up in bad shape will probably always taint this release in my mind.

My copy arrived early today. Sure enough, it's hella damaged. All four corners of the jacket are crushed & crimped. Very poor packed. A tight LP mailer with no padding whatsoever. 

And the overall packaging & presentation is indeed very disappointing. For $80 it's completely lackluster and a letdown. 

Received my Deviations today and the package wasn't as beat up as some of the images I've seen people post--I just had a few smushed corners, and I'd usually just let that slide on most releases, but not at this price point.

Another way I'm looking at it this whole debacle: once some of the other reissues go up for sale, I'll probably be spending between $100-$150 in the store and using a discount code, so if I end up saving between $20-$30 on that order, it'll bring the total price I spent down far enough to make it all worthwhile.

2 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

My copy came today (no damage). I had ordered Before the Flood too, but it wasn't included. I assume those are shipping later. Pretty annoyed that people who bought BTF elsewhere have their copies but we still don't have ours...

I had ordered BTF back in October when it was first announced, so when copies began to show up in stores around RSD and I hadn't received mine, I sent an email to Firebrand about it. They apologized and mailed out a copy the next day, so I must have lucked out.

On 6/30/2017 at 2:00 PM, daegor said:

No, we're paying for both actually.

And the price is still way too high.

Yup. Fragile is top 5 from my high school years, I own 300+ albums and I still can't bring myself to preorder this thing..  cause its pricetag constitutes 1/3 of my daily paycheck.