All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

I've always loved NIN, even during his weaker work (With Teeth, The Slip...) but I'd never accuse Reznor of not capitalizing to the fullest extent on any of his releases. The difference being this is WAY out of line for what we're getting.  Give us a much better package quality and we don't see the gripes, but this...? The horrible pack out and shipping timeline was just the exclamation point. 

17 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

uninformed bullshit

Look man, I'm not the type to care if someone likes the same music as me or not.  But you're acting like you know what you're talking about when you don't.

If it's not your thing that's cool, but it's very obvious that there was a lot more work put into this release than just muting the vocals and throwing together some stuff from the cutting room floor.  If you can't hear/understand that then this type of music isn't for you.  And that's fine.

And I'm not defending the price, it's twice as high as it should be.

On 7/4/2017 at 3:06 PM, Bladewillisisdead said:

I used "Double oversized" outer sleeves from SquareDealOnline.com they fit up to 1 1/4" box sets. I use them on a lot of the oversized gatefolds I have and most of my boxsets. 

Pretty sure I got them off Amazon, but I'm sure their website is probably also a good option.

Hey thanks alot dude! I got them in the mail from Amazon and they fit this record PERFECT. I appreciate it! 

2 hours ago, daegor said:

Look man, I'm not the type to care if someone likes the same music as me or not.  But you're acting like you know what you're talking about when you don't.

If it's not your thing that's cool, but it's very obvious that there was a lot more work put into this release than just muting the vocals and throwing together some stuff from the cutting room floor.  If you can't hear/understand that then this type of music isn't for you.  And that's fine.

And I'm not defending the price, it's twice as high as it should be.

You seem to know me better than I know myself. How can you be certain that I don't know? Admittedly I've only listened to this on crappy MacBook speakers but I know The Fragile well enough to spot the alterations. 

You are missing the point that I have never said this Music wasn't my taste. It actually is. My only gripe is with the cost and indicating that a certain claim about the work on this set was unjustified. 

It is my thing. The cost and unjustified claims are NOT my thing. 

2 hours ago, Dustinhxc said:

Hey thanks alot dude! I got them in the mail from Amazon and they fit this record PERFECT. I appreciate it! 

Awesome! I'm glad I could help. I even said to my girlfriend "One second, I'm helping someone on the internet!" because she was saying something while I was digging out the sleeves to grab the specs.

2 hours ago, jrodan said:

Is there a way to block people's avatars. Since @mcpherson123 won't shut the fuck up (even though he said he was done talking about shit in this thread a page or two ago) I really would rather not continue to see his ugly long hair ass. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Ah come on, dude. No reason to make things this childish.

2 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

You seem to know me better than I know myself. How can you be certain that I don't know? Admittedly I've only listened to this on crappy MacBook speakers but I know The Fragile well enough to spot the alterations. 

You are missing the point that I have never said this Music wasn't my taste. It actually is. My only gripe is with the cost and indicating that a certain claim about the work on this set was unjustified. 

The thing with the cost (which I agree is double what it should be) is that it's not a proper album and Trent can sell it for whatever he wants. He knows people will buy it. It's a specialty release for a (large) niche audience. Dude has regularly given his music away for free online. If you don't want to pay for the vinyl, don't. No one is gonna come after you for pirating it.

Who knows, maybe he had to pay Interscope a shitload to press The Fragile and Deviations is how he's keeping the cost on The Fragile down. I don't know his current rights situation. This is just a high thought I had as I was typing.

Again, I'm not defending the price so much as I'm just like "Fuck it, that's just how much it cost" I'm far more accepting of an artist inflating their prices, I guess. I'll be the first one to be annoyed that some label like Waxwork is charging $75 The Thing soundtrack.

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

9 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

So you guys think an artist is going to sell a 4xlp set in 2017 for 40 bucks?  Especially one of this caliber artist  and fanbase,  who will literally buy anything at any price point trent releases 

You must have abandoned planet earth and went to another realm

They could, but I definitely wouldn't expect them to do so and I'm not mad that they don't. I'd say $60ish would be most reasonable.

I will say that I bought a 3xLP record from Thou at their merch table last week for $25 and its got some of the nicest packaging I've ever seen. Triple gatefold tip on jacket and shit. But that's a touring band playing to 30 people. I don't fault Trent for being like "Fuck you, pay me"

Edited by Bladewillisisdead

2 hours ago, jrodan said:

Is there a way to block people's avatars. Since @mcpherson123 won't shut the fuck up (even though he said he was done talking about shit in this thread a page or two ago) I really would rather not continue to see his ugly long hair ass. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Just place him on ignore. It's just a click away.

2 hours ago, mcpherson123 said:

Insert the "Jared beating a dead horse on South Park" gif that Photobucket won't host for me.

Edited by vinyl addict

21 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

So you guys think an artist is going to sell a 4xlp set in 2017 for 40 bucks?  Especially one of this caliber artist  and fanbase,  who will literally buy anything at any price point trent releases 

You must have abandoned planet earth and went to another realm

Last year Alcest put out a triple LP that was housed in a sturdy box with art prints and a CD for $35-$40 (depending on the variant), pre-shipping, I believe.

Whittling down the packaging and tossing in an extra LP doesn't seem like it should double the price point for Deviations, but that's just my take.  Or how about any of the Unwound boxes in recent years?  Those are 3-4 LPs and beefy, and a fraction of the price of this thing.  What you're describing errs more towards "plausible" than it does "batshit crazy".

2 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Last year Alcest put out a triple LP that was housed in a sturdy box with art prints and a CD for $35-$40 (depending on the variant), pre-shipping, I believe.

Whittling down the packaging and tossing in an extra LP doesn't seem like it should double the price point for Deviations, but that's just my take.  Or how about any of the Unwound boxes in recent years?  Those are 3-4 LPs and beefy, and a fraction of the price of this thing.  What you're describing errs more towards "plausible" than it does "batshit crazy".

No offense, but I'm not sure if Alcest and Unwound are of the same caliber as NIN.  (And by that I mean "I've never heard of Alcest or Unwound, so I literally don't know if they are of the same caliber as NIN, but I'm doubting it.")  I feel like that was a major part of youspinmeround's comment.

In any case, I usually expect ~$15/LP.  $80 for 4 LPs is a bit higher than I'd expect, but not all that bad.  In fact, I'm more inclined to complain about $20 for NTAE than paying $80 for this, if only because I'm still not really digging NTAE... I think the main point here is that if I like the music, I'm fine ~overpaying for it.

21 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

But again, can we talk about how fucking good it sounds? I'm so hype for TDS and The Fragile.

I'm gonna put a fucking hole in my wall when the breakdown in The Becoming hits.

Yes. This sounds so good that I'm thinking about buying another copy of TDS, although I have a hard time believing it can sound any better than the copy I have. Decisions, decisions. 

13 minutes ago, harryq said:

No offense, but I'm not sure if Alcest and Unwound are of the same caliber as NIN.  (And by that I mean "I've never heard of Alcest or Unwound, so I literally don't know if they are of the same caliber as NIN, but I'm doubting it.")  I feel like that was a major part of youspinmeround's comment.

In any case, I usually expect ~$15/LP.  $80 for 4 LPs is a bit higher than I'd expect, but not all that bad.  In fact, I'm more inclined to complain about $20 for NTAE than paying $80 for this, if only because I'm still not really digging NTAE... I think the main point here is that if I like the music, I'm fine ~overpaying for it.

Unwound are dope, but yeah they aren't selling even a fraction of NIN numbers. They definitely benefit more by going all out with packaging.

I definitely don't disagree with either of you, but youspinmeround said "an artist", for what it's worth.  It's a given that Unwound nor Alcest could sell any of their albums at $80 a piece and compete with even a fraction of what NIN fans are willing to snatch up.  For the sake of clarification, his comment should specify that it's laughable to imagine NIN selling a triple or quadruple LP in 2017, for $40.  Not necessarily any given artist.  That's all I was getting at.

8 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I definitely don't disagree with either of you, but youspinmeround said "an artist", for what it's worth.  It's a given that Unwound nor Alcest could sell any of their albums at $80 a piece and compete with even a fraction of what NIN fans are willing to snatch up.  For the sake of clarification, his comment should specify that it's laughable to imagine NIN selling a triple or quadruple LP in 2017, for $40.  Not necessarily any given artist.  That's all I was getting at.

Artist of this caliber

Remember when pumpkins reissued mellon collie and we all gladly played 80 to 100 on release. 

With that said, fragile is very affordable at 45 bucks. This set at 80 bucks wasn't intended for everyone and thus why I believe an 80 dollar price point. 

But than again this board went crazy over a unrealistic gorrillaz box set at a stupid price point of a crap album so it's all relative on the vc

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Ah come on, dude. No reason to make things this childish.

Who knows, maybe he had to pay Interscope a shitload to press The Fragile and Deviations is how he's keeping the cost on The Fragile down. I don't know his current rights situation. This is just a high thought I had as I was typing.

On that first point, THANK you. There is no need to go to that place and I meant no personal insult to anyone. I'm sort of aghast at how I could have been read that way. The only attack I've made is on whomever from the NIN camp decided to price the set as such but....

...On that second point, that is far, far, far more logical of a proposition for this cost business than the one I was trying to debunk. That's all I'm saying. I've been to school for audio engineering for over 2 years and am currently interning at a reputable music recording studio in Chicago. That doesn't make me Trent Reznor but it makes me qualified to make an assessment on the content which I have expanded far beyond the initial comment I made about muted vocals. I've done mixing and re-mixing and tracking and I've listened the shit out of The Fragile in my lifetime since the day it was released. So, in my defense, I really wasn't looking to pick a fight with anyone and I appreciate your comments.

And I'm not going to apologize to anyone for continuing this conversation with anyone in this thread. I did not start the personal attacks and have yet engage in them. I'm talking to people who feel compelled to quote me. There is literally no reason why I shouldn't be able to respond on this discussion. I intend to have an amicable discourse with those other members who want to. If my posts bother you, please just ignore them and be kind enough not to resort to insulting me before you do. I'm not here to insult anybody. 

In comparison to these other bands I'm sure that it is costing NIN much less to produce these records as the quantity is infinitely larger than what Alcest or Unwound press. As I mentioned before the new Sun Kil Moon album is a 4LP and I paid $38 shipped for it (also not on the same level). So NIN is just charging what they charge solely because he can, and he knows his fan base is very dedicated and will buy whatever he puts out. The fact that he's been so cool about releasing stuff for free etc in the past makes me even more surprised that he went so overboard with the Deviations price.

But if they would have just shipped these properly this price conversation would probably be over with now. I'm much more satisfied when my overpriced records (which i buy regularly) are closer to near mint.

21 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Artist of this caliber

Remember when pumpkins reissued mellon collie and we all gladly played 80 to 100 on release. 

With that said, fragile is very affordable at 45 bucks. This set at 80 bucks wasn't intended for everyone and thus why I believe an 80 dollar price point. 

But than again this board went crazy over a unrealistic gorrillaz box set at a stupid price point of a crap album so it's all relative on the vc

I agree with this completely (except I didn't buy that Smashing Pumpkins set...I'd probably only ever buy their "greatest hits" album. I was never big on them even in the early 90s, but loved that GH comp).

The price point really drives home "This isn't for everyone"

This is unrelated to anything but some bar band next door is covering Santana right now as I type this. I kinda want to go yell "Grammy Award Winning Smooth featuring Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20!" at them.

1 hour ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I agree with this completely (except I didn't buy that Smashing Pumpkins set...I'd probably only ever buy their "greatest hits" album. I was never big on them even in the early 90s, but loved that GH comp).

The price point really drives home "This isn't for everyone"

This is unrelated to anything but some bar band next door is covering Santana right now as I type this. I kinda want to go yell "Grammy Award Winning Smooth featuring Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20!" at them.

If we're comparing the MCIS reissue to Deviations, there's no comparison.  $80, 4xLP, but MCIS HAS 2 huge 12x12 booklets, LPs in poly lined paper sleeves inside printed sleeves, all housed in a slip case.  Or, an oversized gatefold with 2 LPs in each side and a one sided insert.

I'd be willing to bet royalties had a hand in Deviation's price tag though.

I'm in the 'this set was meant for diehards' camp. This isn't The Fragile or Broken or TDS.... or MCIS or a smaller bands debut album.... it's a collection of instrumentals, alternative takes, demos and b-sides. 

For that reason, from a business perspective, I get why it's $80, but also see why an objective observer would see this as overpriced.  TR has always put a price on exclusivity and has never had a problem with charging out the wazoo for the 'full' package (Ghosts Deluxe, TGWTDT, Cargo In The Blood). Also, if $80 gets him the cash he needs to tour and make more music (assuming a chunk of the other sales go to the labels), then it's a huge thumbs up from me.