All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

On another, non-price tip, can I just say how much this Prick LP rules. I haven't heard it since college (circa 1997) and it is as batshit as I remember. Too bad TR doesn't have the major label clout to get stuff like this out thereally these days. No one would take a chance on NIN today, let alone one of his insane pet projects like this or Manson.

Edited by tonyfranciosa

11 hours ago, Canuckle said:

I'm in the 'this set was meant for diehards' camp. This isn't The Fragile or Broken or TDS.... or MCIS or a smaller bands debut album.... it's a collection of instrumentals, alternative takes, demos and b-sides. 

For that reason, from a business perspective, I get why it's $80, but also see why an objective observer would see this as overpriced.  TR has always put a price on exclusivity and has never had a problem with charging out the wazoo for the 'full' package (Ghosts Deluxe, TGWTDT, Cargo In The Blood). Also, if $80 gets him the cash he needs to tour and make more music (assuming a chunk of the other sales go to the labels), then it's a huge thumbs up from me.

TR has a net worth of 70 million, he doesn't need to fist his fans to release expanded takes of material that was originally put out almost 20 years ago. Again, he puts it out there at this price because he know most of his fan base will bite. I have no problems paying it, as I've dug his music for so long, but I get why people are complaining.  

15 hours ago, tonyfranciosa said:

On another, non-price tip, can I just say how much this Prick LP rules. I haven't heard it since college (circa 1997) and it is as batshit as I remember. Too bad TR doesn't have the major label clout to get stuff like this out thereally these days. No one would take a chance on NIN today, let alone one of his insane pet projects like this or Manson.

Like the post above mine says, Trent has a net worth of $70million. If he wanted to help a weird band put out a weird record he could. He has the resources and would simply need to send out an email to his fan mailing list like "Hey, check out this band and buy their record from me."

I think the music on Deviations is fantastic I'm hearing new things in songs that I've been listening to for almost 20 years. The new songs are awesome, I've been listening to it non stop since I got it. Unfortunately the presentation is a little under whelming, a little better than the standard 4LP Ghosts edition but fall well short of say the 20th anniversary Nevermind reissue that had a similar price point.  I can't say this is surprising given that this is the 1st release since Rob Sheridan left the band sometime last year. He's handled all visual aspects (tour production, package design, posters ect) of the band since the Fragile era.  He was a huge part of the band for almost 20 years and has set the standard for what we expect from a NIN release.  There were clearly huge production issues with this release and if I had to guess Trent was focused on making sure the music was on point rather than the packaging. As it's been pointed out this is a high dollar deluxe release that is not for everyone. I'd say we overpaid by about 20 bucks given what we got, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If you're still disappointed hit up Sandbag and see if you can get your money back or wait a few years and E-Bay it and double your money.....anyway that's my 2 cents. 

Also I think the fact that there's no way to buy this digitally is on purpose TR knows that his fans are savvy enough to track down the music for free.  So rather than charge you for it I think he's saying I dont care go get it. 

Edited by Adam10647

I actually ordered 2 copies of Deviations 1 when they went up and another after the site when back up a month ago. My 2nd one just showed up no email for tracking or anything. However it was packed in a slightly bigger box with a bit of bubble wrap around it.  Pretty my in perfect condition a few very minor spots from the shrink wrapping. They really should have done the 1st batch like this. 

I've actually been wondering if all the shitty packing you guys got was packed by Firebrand, all ready to go.  The NIN camp did make it sound like they were sitting on shipments, perhaps the reality of that situation was literal.  It was also explain why they couldn't touch the Firebrand orders (take it or get it refunded, no other options).

24 minutes ago, daegor said:

I've actually been wondering if all the shitty packing you guys got was packed by Firebrand, all ready to go.  The NIN camp did make it sound like they were sitting on shipments, perhaps the reality of that situation was literal.  It was also explain why they couldn't touch the Firebrand orders (take it or get it refunded, no other options).

Also I just noticed that the Prick LP I got a few weeks ago was shipped to me from Texas and was packaged perfectly, while Deviations came to me from Pennsylvania. So you may be onto something.

4 hours ago, daegor said:

for what it's worth, my Before the Flood order was packed quite well (and that was delivered before this whole Firebrand/SandBag situation came about).  my guess at the moment is that TF:D1 was simply "too big" to fit in a standard mailer with extra padding and they didn't think it was necessary/worthwhile to use big mailers.  in any case, it'll be interesting to see what they do when they're shipping boxes with 7 LPs + a 7" at the beginning of August...

On 7/9/2017 at 9:47 PM, skycriesmary said:

TR has a net worth of 70 million, he doesn't need to fist his fans to release expanded takes of material that was originally put out almost 20 years ago. Again, he puts it out there at this price because he know most of his fan base will bite. I have no problems paying it, as I've dug his music for so long, but I get why people are complaining.  

I get why people are complaining too... but he also released a $300 6xLP set for TGWTDT an ambient soundtrack... or $300 for a 4xLP Ghost I-IV set of instrumental 'thoughts'. While those both clearly trump Deviations in quality, TR has always put a premium on the full experience, and this is no difference. 

Again, I'm not suggesting people should not be disappointed with the end result of this, but no one should be surprised at TR charging $80 for this. 

... or he may just be realizing raising four children in LA is DAMN expensive. :)

This is definitely a mess but I can't wait to spin The Fragile LP and Broken LP as soon as I can readily snag them on the cheap.

I would really love it if Further Down The Spiral were to be pressed for the first time as well. 

EDIT: I almost forgot. It would have to include the "Ruiner (Version)" remix from the UK Exclusive CD  release.

Edited by mcpherson123

7 hours ago, CurtMyers said:

Wow it would be nice if I actually got the records I ordered.  This is a fucking mess.  Fuck this guy.

Did you get the wrong records shipped? Or you are just still waiting for them to ship? They DID tell us they would ship in "summer" when we ordered them. 

An 8 month pre-order with multiple delays isn't even that bad. Like, I know it sucks to give someone a bunch of money and then have to wait for the better part of a year but you gotta expect that. 

I'm just happy (and very surprised) they sent out Deviations to people who ordered it with the. Other records.