All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

2 hours ago, jeromium said:

I followed NIN's career and purchased all albums (on CD back then) up through The Slip. I didn't love any of them as much as the run from Pretty Hate Machine to The Fragile, but I still enjoyed them. That said, sometime between The Slip's release and Hesitation Marks, something happened and I just can't handle his voice anymore. It sounds so inauthentic that no matter how good the music may be I just can't seem to care about this anymore. We all know he's not an angsty teen or 20-something anymore and hasn't been for a long time, and I certainly picked up on that shift a long time ago, but maybe it's just in the last few years I can't even bother anymore.

Hmm, good point. I may not feel as strongly as you do, but I get what your saying. 

The downward spiral is my favorite album of alltime. 

The shows I saw in that tour are the best concerts I ever attended.

Anything after the fragile is hit or miss for me with the slip being the worst.

His current vocal delivery is really annoying.

I also think the current live drumming leaves alot to be desired with the sound

Edited by youspinmeround

31 minutes ago, Dustinhxc said:

Ill gladly trade you if you dont care the condition of your vinyl.

Is the vinyl damaged?

I'm a condition freak too, but that pic is not bad. Seriously. Suck it up, people returning shit for BS like that is what drive prices up.

You say NIN is your favorite band, but you are just now buying Hesitation Marks?

Hesitation Marks is available everywhere, just go exchange it at any local store if you must.

21 minutes ago, vinyl addict said:

Is the vinyl damaged?

I'm a condition freak too, but that pic is not bad. Seriously. Suck it up, people returning shit for BS like that is what drive prices up.

You say NIN is your favorite band, but you are just now buying Hesitation Marks?

Hesitation Marks is available everywhere, just go exchange it at any local store if you must.

The record wasn't on the top of our vinyl list. I know it's not as bad as some have got. But it's only happened to me once before so it bugs me.. I don't see why they couldn't just put at least one sheet of wrap in the box. But besides all of that. It's a great press and I love how it includes a CD. the bonus sleeves are sweet too.. glad we finally gave in to get this. 

1 hour ago, Dustinhxc said:

Thats not a little ding.. *facepalm* All of my vinyl have arrive perfect or I bought at the store and they were perfect. Two albums EVER have arrived damaged. One was from Hot Topic and I said screw it, I dont care. Not going to bother them over it.. Now this happened and its our favorite band so yes I am very angry. Maybe if there was actual wrap inside the box like how companies are suppose to package fragile items.. Id be like ok it was the USPS fault. But no, it was in there loose, its 100% their fault. Ill tell you one thing, if it was The Fragile Id be losing my shit right now. But hey, Ill gladly trade you if you dont care the condition of your vinyl.

You must not buy a lot of vinyl then, because corner dings like that are common as hell. Most records in stores have some general shelf wear like that as well, and you probably have never bought anything used than either right?

17 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

That bump is pretty minor and either you're going to have to live to deal with them or stop ordering records.  Even the best packaging gets damaged, it just happens.  Unfortunately, it's part of the hobby.

Oh damn really? :/ We have around 55 albums now and a hand full of used ones too. I guess we have just been lucky so far? :0 Would love to have more vinyl but we only have a limited budget. 

1 minute ago, Dustinhxc said:

Oh damn really? :/ We have around 55 albums now and a hand full of used ones too. I guess we have just been lucky so far? :0 Would love to have more vinyl but we only have a limited budget. 

I'm with you. I would describe that as major damage and would definitely ask for a replacement or at least a partial refund. I've gotten over 500 records in the mail, and maybe five or six have been damaged that bad. The people telling you otherwise either order from very shady places, have terrible postal employees, or just have a very high tolerance for damage. 

13 minutes ago, ntslash said:

I'm with you. I would describe that as major damage and would definitely ask for a replacement or at least a partial refund. I've gotten over 500 records in the mail, and maybe five or six have been damaged that bad. The people telling you otherwise either order from very shady places, have terrible postal employees, or just have a very high tolerance for damage. 

I-dont-believe-you.gif

6 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

If you call that major damage, I can't imagine what you'd call a seam split or an actual bent corner.  Catastrophic damage?

Care to share a photo of an "actual bent corner"? That looks pretty bad to me. Looks like someone hit it with a hammer. I personally think these big corner dings are worse than seam splits. They are immediately noticeable when you look at the artwork. A seam split doesn't even affect the artwork. 

Seriously, where do you guys order your records from that you expect and accept this kind of damage as standard? This is bad, and if you are okay with this, then it's going to become standard. Why should anyone care to take the time to prevent damage if buyers don't care about it? I want to sell some records to you. I'll just throw them in a used pizza box. Who cares if it's damaged, right? 

And some people are saying they see damage like this on record store shelves. Where do you shop? I've never seen anything like this in a store. I'd walk out immediately if I saw this on a shelf unless it was marked half off. 

I grew up to my dad collecting vinyl and he still does. His collection is huge. One day I hope to have the same.  It is all graded and even tiny things are noted. Not sure how all of you just let this stuff slide when it's brand new sealed and not a used copy.  Not only does it visually stand out when looking at the beautiful artwork inside and out of the nice gatefold. It also effects how the inner vinyl sleeve goes inside the outer sleeve. It gets stuck on that bent up corner, which isn't that nice for a brand new record.. like he said, if you guys let it slide then why would these companies want to put the effort into packing them any better? Its going to become the new standard.. the way you guys describe this bent corner is the way I would describe my deviations. It was also dinged. But it is tiny, not worth complaining about. This is 5x worse.. 

Edited by Dustinhxc
Condition

Just now, vinyl addict said:

Ok, so back on topic? 

Anyone order the packages for the new EP?

Unless we still want to whine about corner dings. I hate the way they affect the playback of the records.  When the needle hits that corner ding, my ears cringe  every time. It really irks me.

Waiting for them to add the vinyl to the package, crossing my fingers! Some cool new merch too though. Tempting..

Oh haha funny.. some of us collect them for the artwork too, not only the music.

8 minutes ago, Dustinhxc said:

I grew up to my dad collecting vinyl and he still does. His collection is huge. One day I hope to have the same.  It is all graded and even tiny things are noted. Not sure how all of you just let this stuff slide when it's brand new sealed and not a used copy.  Not only does it visually stand out when looking at the beautiful artwork inside and out of the nice gatefold. It also effects how the inner vinyl sleeve goes inside the outer sleeve. It gets stuck on that bent up corner, which isn't that nice for a brand new record.. like he said, if you guys let it slide then why would these companies want to put the effort into packing them any better? Its going to become the new standard..

I'd also bet your dad didn't purchase those records online and have them shipped across the country, obviously care should be taken when packaging but you gotta be realistic as well.

6 minutes ago, Dustinhxc said:

I grew up to my dad collecting vinyl and he still does. His collection is huge. One day I hope to have the same.  It is all graded and even tiny things are noted. Not sure how all of you just let this stuff slide when it's brand new sealed and not a used copy. 

Out of curiosity, how much of your dad's collection did he obtain through mail-orders over the years?

Like multiple people have said, it is an unfortunate part of the hobby™.  How long have you been acquiring records, out of curiosity?  I'd probably be miffed if I only owned 50-ish records, or had been buying them for less than a year, and received some bent corners or seam splits along the way.  But, I mean... pick your battles.  Like vinyl addict just said above, that tiny bent corner doesn't impact playback or sound fidelity.  So how does it effect you, intrinsically?  Are you concerned that it'll shave off from the lofty $300 value you think the album will be worth in 20 years?  Do you feel like an inferior NIN fan compared to someone who has a copy of Hesitation Marks with 4 crisp, pristine corners?  Are you concerned that you'll eventually have friends over who may spot the bent corner and just assume that you treat all of your personal belongings like shit?  Help me understand here.

17 minutes ago, ntslash said:

Care to share a photo of an "actual bent corner"?

How about the UK press of Amnesiac I ordered from Amazon UK about a month ago?

YVUUm3G.png

That, to me, was worth squawking about because I couldn't even get the record out without some contorting of the jacket.

3 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Out of curiosity, how much of your dad's collection did he obtain through mail-orders over the years?

Like multiple people have said, it is an unfortunate part of the hobby™.  How long have you been acquiring records, out of curiosity?  I'd probably be miffed if I only owned 50-ish records, or had been buying them for less than a year, and received some bent corners or seam splits along the way.  But, I mean... pick your battles.  Like vinyl addict just said above, that tiny bent corner doesn't impact playback or sound fidelity.  So how does it effect you, intrinsically?  Are you concerned that it'll shave off from the lofty $300 value you think the album will be worth in 20 years?  Do you feel like an inferior NIN fan compared to someone who has a copy of Hesitation Marks with 4 crisp, pristine corners?  Are you concerned that you'll eventually have friends over who may spot the bent corner and just assume that you treat all of your personal belongings like shit?  Help me understand here.

How about the UK press of Amnesiac I ordered from Amazon UK about a month ago?

YVUUm3G.png

That, to me, was worth squawking about because I couldn't even get the record out without some contorting of the jacket.

Okay, you win! 

I'm honestly more surprised when a record I order online arrives in perfect condition.  9 times out of 10 there is some slight "defect" on the jacket that drives me nuts at first, but then I get over it because it has always happened AND WILL ALWAYS HAPPEN.  If anyone is that concerned about damaged jackets, they may just have to stop ordering records online.

34 minutes ago, ntslash said:

And some people are saying they see damage like this on record store shelves. Where do you shop? I've never seen anything like this in a store. I'd walk out immediately if I saw this on a shelf unless it was marked half off. 

Some people buy used records...