All-encompassing NINE INCH NAILS Thread: Reissues, New Stuff, Soundtracks, Kitchen Sink

53 minutes ago, pepperonigin said:

I'm really hoping for a non-festival NY date soon. I'm assuming there's a whole tour being planned so I don't mind sitting out Panorama.

Trent said on his Beats interview the other day that they're only doing festivals this year and will likely be doing smaller tours in the future.

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

The buying a car is like buying a record meme is one of my favorites.  You know you've been on VC too much when you've seen that "argument" sprout up on 2-3 separate occasions.  And yet it never really loses its comical merit.

Alright man.  If you sincerely feel that way, I wish you the best of luck in waiting anywhere from an additional week to an additional month before receiving a copy of a pre-order that's acceptable by your lofty standards.  You can also look forward to being that guy – you know, the one who e-mails a label every single time his order arrives with a dinged corner, only to have the label's customer service roll their eyes and gesture a dick tug before sending you a replacement jacket with even less packaging.  Sounds like a quality use of time to me... and definitely the best way to consume music in 2017.

Check out Bull Moose's thoughts on vinyl, courtesy of their general FAQ.

Right below that, they do encourage you to e-mail them if you're unsatisfied with your order, but they throw out that disclaimer to the anal retentive beforehand, as a general warning that not every record you ever order is going to contain immaculately flat vinyl, 4 crisp corners, and zero seam wear.  In a perfect world, sure, I do agree with you – you're paying for a product and it should arrive as it does straight out of the factory.  But that's not how it works when ordering such a fragile medium and having it shipped from a different state or a different country.  This is coming straight from a company who specializes in shipping out records – good fucking luck trying your hand on something like Discogs or Ebay.  I think you should actually post your username for both of those sites, ahead of time, so the majority of VC can go ahead and block you as a healthy precaution.  I know I would.

That being said, I do think one of two things will happen, going forward.  I think that if you continue to purchase vinyl at any frequency that exceeds 1 album per month, you will eventually grow up and realize how pointless (and futile) it is to demand a 100% flawless product from every outlet you place an order with.  I think a lot of labels will entertain the request for the sake of good customer service, but is a tiny corner ding worth being resented?  Imagine receiving a double LP where the vinyl had room to bounce around in transit.  It arrives with a bit of seam wear, and there's a little distortion from some of the haze coloring pressed at the plant.  You write the label an e-mail; they're in the minority of labels who don't ask for a photo and play along with the idea of sending you a replacement copy if you mail yours back in.  A week later, and you get a brand new copy.  Except – fuck – the USPS did not pay attention to that "Fragile" stamp, and clearly crushed the mailer, so now one corner is bent.  Time to write the label and request a new jacket, now.

Seriously, man.  Don't be that guy.  Just don't.  From the bottom of my heart – fuck that.

The second option I foresee for you, is finding a new hobby or a new means of exploring music.  I think this will benefit anyone you order from and also spare you your sanity.  I strongly encourage this.

Probably not.

Cool story. Gonna stick with my hobby of 20 years. Thanks for the tips though. 

7 minutes ago, thischarmingman said:

Cool story. Gonna stick with my hobby of 20 years. Thanks for the tips though. 

Wanna' know how I can tell you're really worth holding a conversation with?  Your response to a well-constructed post [with plenty of valid points] is cool story.  Dead giveaway.  And also a concrete indicator that you can fuck off.

If you've actually been buying vinyl for 20 years of your life and still feel like every single label and order owes you a 100% pristine copy, I feel legitimately embarrassed for you.  You must be absolutely insufferable to be around in person, and I sincerely feel sorry for any coworkers, friends, or family that have to interact with you in public or on a regular basis.

Just had a double LP show up about 20 minutes ago.  Can't believe how shitty the packaging was, and how ruthless the post office handled it.  Demanding a new copy or at least a replacement jacket, stat.  I mean, it's absolutely perfect otherwise, but this is heinous and completely unacceptable when I'm paying for a brand new product.

LDyQH5X.png

29 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Wanna' know how I can tell you're really worth holding a conversation with?  Your response to a well-constructed post [with plenty of valid points] is cool story.  Dead giveaway.  And also a concrete indicator that you can fuck off.

If you've actually been buying vinyl for 20 years of your life and still feel like every single label and order owes you a 100% pristine copy, I feel legitimately embarrassed for you.  You must be absolutely insufferable to be around in person, and I sincerely feel sorry for any coworkers, friends, or family that have to interact with you in public or on a regular basis.

Just had a double LP show up about 20 minutes ago.  Can't believe how shitty the packaging was, and how ruthless the post office handled it.  Demanding a new copy or at least a replacement jacket, stat.  I mean, it's absolutely perfect otherwise, but this is heinous and completely unacceptable when I'm paying for a brand new product.

LDyQH5X.png

Lulz. I love being personally insulted on the internet by people I don't know. Classy. Anyway, I'm super embarrassed right now. Ugh. What will I do!?!? Guess I'll go fuck off. 

2 minutes ago, thischarmingman said:

Lulz. I love being personally insulted on the internet by people I don't know. Classy. Anyway, I'm super embarrassed right now. Ugh. What will I do!?!? Guess I'll go fuck off. 

You could shift your hobby to fidget spinners.  Not only are they more likely to arrive in perfect shape, but I think they're right up your alley.  They'd give you something to harbor your social shortcomings with, the next time you're waiting for the cook to completely remake your burger since a couple of fries were burnt and the tomato seemed a little too runny to warrant full menu price.

1 minute ago, Derek™ said:

You could shift your hobby to fidget spinners.  Not only are they more likely to arrive in perfect shape, but I think they're right up your alley.  They'd give you something to harbor your social shortcomings with, the next time you're waiting for the cook to completely remake your burger since a couple of fries were burnt and the tomato seemed a little too runny to warrant full menu price.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 7/14/2017 at 7:11 PM, Dustinhxc said:

I knew it was too good to be true.. My Hesitation Marks finally arrived. Bent ass corner.. The box was 5 times as wide as the vinyl and not one ounce of protection inside. Just the vinyl and the huge box... Couldve got a MINT copy at the local store but wanted to support Trent. Had to wait a long as time and its damaged. Im going to lose my shit if any others arrive like this.. People from other countries have sent me MINT vinyl. Why cant this professional Company do the same....  

But besides the corner.. YAY it finally came! Super stoked! Sending for a replacement though.

6tzzXFc.jpg

KgecMud.jpg

You need to be punched in the face

On 7/14/2017 at 7:20 PM, Dustinhxc said:

Thats not a little ding.. *facepalm* All of my vinyl have arrive perfect or I bought at the store and they were perfect. Two albums EVER have arrived damaged. One was from Hot Topic and I said screw it, I dont care. Not going to bother them over it.. Now this happened and its our favorite band so yes I am very angry. Maybe if there was actual wrap inside the box like how companies are suppose to package fragile items.. Id be like ok it was the USPS fault. But no, it was in there loose, its 100% their fault. Ill tell you one thing, if it was The Fragile Id be losing my shit right now. But hey, Ill gladly trade you if you dont care the condition of your vinyl.

On 7/14/2017 at 7:26 PM, Dustinhxc said:

wow everyone is fine complaining about Deviations being dinged up, but I say it about Hesitation Marks and people get angry at me.....

23 hours ago, Dustinhxc said:

The record wasn't on the top of our vinyl list. I know it's not as bad as some have got. But it's only happened to me once before so it bugs me.. I don't see why they couldn't just put at least one sheet of wrap in the box. But besides all of that. It's a great press and I love how it includes a CD. the bonus sleeves are sweet too.. glad we finally gave in to get this. 

Gollum you need to be punched in the face

22 hours ago, Dustinhxc said:

Oh damn really? :/ We have around 55 albums now and a hand full of used ones too. I guess we have just been lucky so far? :0 Would love to have more vinyl but we only have a limited budget. 

Gollum you need to be punched in the face

22 hours ago, ntslash said:

I'm with you. I would describe that as major damage and would definitely ask for a replacement or at least a partial refund. I've gotten over 500 records in the mail, and maybe five or six have been damaged that bad. The people telling you otherwise either order from very shady places, have terrible postal employees, or just have a very high tolerance for damage. 

You also need to be punched in the face

21 hours ago, ntslash said:

Care to share a photo of an "actual bent corner"? That looks pretty bad to me. Looks like someone hit it with a hammer. I personally think these big corner dings are worse than seam splits. They are immediately noticeable when you look at the artwork. A seam split doesn't even affect the artwork. 

Seriously, where do you guys order your records from that you expect and accept this kind of damage as standard? This is bad, and if you are okay with this, then it's going to become standard. Why should anyone care to take the time to prevent damage if buyers don't care about it? I want to sell some records to you. I'll just throw them in a used pizza box. Who cares if it's damaged, right? 

And some people are saying they see damage like this on record store shelves. Where do you shop? I've never seen anything like this in a store. I'd walk out immediately if I saw this on a shelf unless it was marked half off. 

Right in the face

21 hours ago, Dustinhxc said:

I grew up to my dad collecting vinyl and he still does. His collection is huge. One day I hope to have the same.  It is all graded and even tiny things are noted. Not sure how all of you just let this stuff slide when it's brand new sealed and not a used copy.  Not only does it visually stand out when looking at the beautiful artwork inside and out of the nice gatefold. It also effects how the inner vinyl sleeve goes inside the outer sleeve. It gets stuck on that bent up corner, which isn't that nice for a brand new record.. like he said, if you guys let it slide then why would these companies want to put the effort into packing them any better? Its going to become the new standard.. the way you guys describe this bent corner is the way I would describe my deviations. It was also dinged. But it is tiny, not worth complaining about. This is 5x worse.. 

21 hours ago, Dustinhxc said:

Waiting for them to add the vinyl to the package, crossing my fingers! Some cool new merch too though. Tempting..

Oh haha funny.. some of us collect them for the artwork too, not only the music.

21 hours ago, ntslash said:

Okay, you win! 

20 hours ago, Dustinhxc said:

Holy crap... that's major damage right there.. :0 id be furious.. Yeah I guess just because I haven't been collecting that long so it bugs me out when I get dings or bends. I can't imagine receiving one that bad though. That is very big.

My dad did get most of his in person over the years. Online, I'd say a couple hundred. I know he has gotten some used and they had dings and bent edges. But I've seen alot of his prestine albums that he got online that don't have any dings. But yes most of his aren't from online. So I can see how the mail system can ruin them. I just wish they were padded better. Such fragile items.

I can't wait to get the other represses in the mail, it will be very exciting! Also can't wait to hear the rest of the new album in a week!

17 hours ago, thischarmingman said:

Let me know when you all order a brand new vehicle and it shows up with a bunch of dings, dents, and scratches and you're just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

You have too much oxygen on your hands

Cars get shipped on trucks. They get damaged. Hazard of shipping? If I buy a brand new record, it should show up in brand new condition. Don't care if it's $20 or $20,000.  Apple and oranges, blah blah blah. We purchased a new product. It should show up that way. If you buy a carton of milk for $3 and it's spoiled, you should get a replacement. End of story. If I sold a product and it showed up in different condition than when it left my factory, I'd make it right. Fine that you're willing to settle for less, but that's not the rule. 

Please make the world a better place

"Hey, I bought this record off Discogs and it says it was new and mint but it showed up with all these dings, seam splits, etc."

"Yo, that's how it showed up to me from the label and also UPS, amirite?!"

FOH. 

And stop collecting it

11 hours ago, Dustinhxc said:

I guess it's not too big a deal unless I was going to frame it. I can see us framing all of our NIN and just keeping the vinyl sleeves for listening. But who knows if we will do that. But enough of that stuff.. who's excited for some live shows?! We're flying across country for NY and driving to Chicago as well. Wish we could go to the Ca shows too. Cant wait! Havent seen him in a few years. 

You need a punch in the face

9 hours ago, thischarmingman said:

I certainly wouldn't accept delivery without the issue being fixed---i.e., Sandbag should send replacement mailers and address their shipping issues, the first of which has already happened for a bunch of people on here with Deviations, including myself.  My Before the Flood showed up perfect.  The other records should too.  There's no reason a company cannot get records to consumers in mint condition.  They're brand fucking new.  

The delivery person should probably punch you in the face

5 hours ago, thischarmingman said:

That makes no sense.  You can buy a car with cash.  You can sign a simple one page bill of sale.  In any event, a purchase is still a contractual relationship, despite not having to sign a bunch of formal documents.  The point is, apparently people are willing to accept damaged goods at a certain price threshold.  That's fine.  I am not, and I don't think it should be an industry standard.  Nor do I subscribe to the "it's the nature of the goods being sold to show up damaged" argument.  It's silly.  If you buy a new record, it should show up in new condition.  That should not be a controversial proposition.  

You can punch a face with a fist

1 hour ago, thischarmingman said:

Cool story. Gonna stick with my hobby of 20 years. Thanks for the fists though. 

No problem

57 minutes ago, thischarmingman said:

After being punched in the face

46 minutes ago, thischarmingman said:

Please punch me in the face

Edited by Sunshine

*quietly marks down a few user names in his DO NOT SELL TO THESE PEOPLE list*

So yeah.  That physical component.  If I recall it was stated that these items would be "dangerous".  We had unidentified airborne toxin in the first package (or probably just toner powder).  Blood pathogens in the next?  What do you want to bet that this package is full of red goo?

1 minute ago, ntslash said:

You can't be that dense. I'm not buying from all the people who find corner bends acceptable. 

**100% Flawless**Smoke free Home**climate controlled storage**only opened to check color**only touched with gloves**mofi sleeves**100% VIRGIN VINYL**wall frame included**RARE**OOP**Limited edition**colored vinyl**

Just now, ntslash said:

You can't be that dense. I'm not buying from all the people who find corner bends acceptable. 

Which is basically the majority of the people you're disagreeing with, right?  If I were to sell that record that I received in the photo above, today, I'd note that the bottom right corner is ever-so slightly creased and offer a photo if it was truly concerning.  99% of levelheaded buyers would probably shrug.  I'm sure there'd be at least one dingus who'd feel the need to ask for a discount, but the general population of healthy minded individuals probably wouldn't blink an eye.  Sorry.