PO: Mischief Brew - Smash the Windows Repress - Out 3/22

MB_SmashCover.jpg

smash the windows

Mischief Brew’s debut LP, long out-of-print, has been given a new coat of paint! We've re-released the album on 180 gram vinyl, completely remastered from the original tapes by Carl Saff. “Smash The Windows” is a carnival-punk whirligig, a menagerie of the bizarre combining anarcho-punk with Eastern-European folk, Django-esque swing, Beat-era jazz, Celtic balladry, and straight-up anthemic rebel music that somehow pulls off a mix of The Pogues, Utah Phillips, Chumbawamba, Morphine, Subhumans, Motherhead Bug, Tom Waits, and some kind of dusty fairground organ that you smashed a bottle of whiskey against. Recorded in Brooklyn at Vibromonk Studios in 2004 by Danny Shatzky and Tamir Muskat (Firewater, Gogol Bordello), this is more of a musical soundtrack, with characters and settings, than a traditional punk record. It also features a slew of guest appearances by members of Balkan Beat Box, World/Inferno Friendship Society, Leftover Crack, The Citywide Specials, and more. Includes a digital download of the album, plus unreleased outtakes.

Songs:
1. The Reinvention Of The Printing Press
2. Citizens Drive
3. Lightning Knock The Power Out
4. Nomads Revolt
5. The Lowly Carpenter
6. Ten Thousand Fleas
7. Swing Against The Nazis
8. From The Rooftops
9. The Gypsy, The Punk, And The Fool (A Tale)
10. Roll Me Through The Gates Of Hell
11. Ain't It The Life?
12. A Liquor Never Brewed
13. Departure Arrival
14. Bag Of Pepper (Digital Bonus Track - Outtake)
15. The Lowly Carpenter (Digital Bonus Track - Acoustic Mix, Outtake)

smash the windows

• 11 months later...
17 hours ago, Satan said:

I just heard about the death of Erik, even if it's late. I encourage anyone who's interested in folk punk or just AMAZING story telling to pick up this album or any of his solo stuff. 

One of tbe the best song writers I've ever known.

Yeah, that was a major bummer. I was never fortunate enough to meet him or see any live performances, but Mischief Brew is one of those bands from my teenage years that I'll always love. I wish I had snagged SFUTS before it went out of print. Maybe it'll be repressed one day.