Today, Motion City announced they will conclude as a band after a final tour this year.

Hello, friends.

It has been a quiet winter for us. We’ve had some time at home after a very busy 2015. With this time, we’ve been able to think about the past, present, and future of Motion City Soundtrack. All of this thinking has lead to several conversations, and these conversations have lead us to a very bittersweet realization:

We have no idea what the future holds, but for now we are done.

Needless to say, we’re feeling all the feels - you may be as well. If so, or if you’ve ever been touched by our music, we ask you to come out and sing along with us one last time in 2016.

Please stay tuned for a very special final tour announcement on Monday. You can sign up to our email/mailing list via our Facebook page to be the first to hear the news. We really hope to see each and every one of you out there one more time.

Thanks for all the love over the years. It really means a lot to us - and it always will.

Josh, Justin, Jesse, Matt, and Tony

Sad news to start the day with, especially since it's from one of the bands that I've loved most over the past decade or so. Seems like many of the bands I've grown up with are slowing down these days and calling it a career.. It's a shame they couldn't have ended the way Anberlin did, with a final tour with a new record. Especially since Panic Stations was not too good.. 

Since it's signed Tony, he better be drumming on this final tour.

signed with Tony and without Claudio so I'm hoping this is a yes. Honestly, it's only the true way of going out. Who knows, maybe that's why they're ending, as in when Tony left, he took the spark with him, and Claudio couldn't fill the void?

Terrible news but I have to say I have seen it coming and I expected it sooner. One of my favorite bands.

I have been able to see them twice and I hope they can come back to Charleston so I can talk to them one more time and so I can get my Even If It Kills Me record signed.

I just could not get into the last album, which is a shame because the package design was great - gatefold with spot-gloss. 

"Even If It Kills Me" and "I Am The Movie" were two of the first records I ordered when I got back into buying vinyl in 2008. 

But for one last time, if I had to rank the albums IMO:

Even If It Kills Me

I Am The Movie

Commit This To Memory

My Dinosaur Life

GO

Panic Stations

I get why they did it, but I feel like it was rude to leave Claudio's name off of the letter.

I don't know if "rude" is the right word, but it definitely feels a bit odd, considering the band likely would've broken up three years ago had Claudio not joined. It's like they're not acknowledging the last three years of MCS. (I'm also very good friends with Claudio which makes this whole situation a lot more complicated personally.)

Rough week. My two favorite bands call it quits. I'm not as bummed as I thought I'd be though. I guess I was ready for it since their last three albums hadn't been nearly as solid as their first three. Tony's departure was actually more upsetting to me. Oh well, I'm looking forward to what Justin will be doing musically in the future. Here's to hoping for a new Slide Coaster album haha.

Maxeen didn't do that tour. They were originally supposed to then they had to drop and were replaced by TAI.

Thank you. I went off something I read online for the openers because I forgot everyone but academy. Although I think I saw maxeen open for a different tour at the metro which really doesn't help for my memory.

I need to get all my shows listed in one place instead of scattered across several mediums including paper for most the old ones. I am just scared it'll take a huge amount of time.

Edit. Found the other show I got it confused with but honestly can't remember if I actually went to the show or not. Matchbook romance, matches, maxeen, academy.

Hello, everyone!

We’re excited! Why? Perhaps you noticed our oh-so-subtle hint in the signature of our farewell announcement - or maybe you spotted rumors floating around the internetz. Well, we’ve hinted enough. We’re very excited to officially announce the return of Tony Thaxton. He’ll be playing drums for the remainder of our shows this year. It’s true!! Now we want to take this moment to thank Claudio Rivera for all of his hard work over the last few years. We can’t even begin to convey the importance of Claudio’s presence in the band. He stepped up at a time when we needed not only a great drummer, but also a great person who could help us focus our energy on making music. We were able to write a great record together and play insanely fun shows. His positivity was definitely felt and appreciated by all of us. We love him and wish him all the best in the future.

For now, stay tuned, friends. We’ll be announcing more tour dates very soon!

Love,

Josh, Justin, Jesse, Matt, and Tony