Mind Over Matter Records Releases Hype Machine Thread - RIGHT NOW: GUILT - Bardstown Ugly Box 12" + 7" Reissue

2 hours ago, Derek™ said:

I never did drop in on this thread with my thoughts on this thing.  But after receiving my second copy today, I have to hand it to Austin and co. for doing a standup job with this thing.  I didn't really need two copies of it, but it's an enjoyable EP – enough that I'm looking forward to the album, for sure – and it's also really important to me to support genuine brick-and-mortar labels with these sorts of releases.  The screen printing is on point, as always, and both jackets / records turned out amazing.

Thank you for the kind words AND for double dipping on this EP!

If everything goes according to plan, the next Metavari release that you'll see is well over 2 hours worth of material.  *big eyed emoji*

Also, it's worth mentioning that the next couple of months are going to be a whirlwind of releases from us. I have my first baby on the way and I don't want to have to split my time too much for a little while after the birth (or make our bands feel like their release isn't important), so here is what you can expect:

Sparhawks - "The Quiet Hour" 12"  3/17 (mathy, noodly, post rock. Think TTNG without vocals. First single below)

Coffin Problem / Glassfield Split 7" 4/9 (Coffin Problem sound like Deftones or Nirvana played at half speed, and Glassfield have a quick little ripper still perfect for fans of Queens of the Stone Age, Æges, Thrice, etc)

usLights - "wæs" 12" 6/9 (synth-heavy alt-rock, ex-members of Herra Terra,  more details TBA)

Edited by mindovermatter

OK fine. Now it is: 

http://mindovermatterrecords.com/MOM029.html

MOM029
Sparhawks - "The Quiet Hour" 12" LP

First Pressing:
15 Test Presses 
58 Transparent Blue w/ Black Smoke
175 Opaque Yellow 

The Quiet Hour is the sophomore release from the Boston-based technical post-rock band Sparhawks. Sadly, it also serves as their swan song, and because of this fact, this vinyl pressing will be a one-and-done scenario. This simply will not be re-pressed!

With the technical prowess of a softer-edged And So I Watch You From Afar or perhaps more akin to This Town Needs Guns without a vocalist, Sparhawks have found a wonderful little niche within the post rock community - one that blends the skill of their instruments along with the quiet/loud ebbing and flowing of a usual post rock output. After a handful of singles & EPs and the much-applauded debut effort The Cabin, Sparhawks recorded this long player over two sessions at the Converse Rubber Tracks studio and it was mastered for both digital and vinyl by Dave @ Lucky Lacquers.

One lucky person who preorders this record between now and 3/17 will win a free test pressing of the record which comes in a screen printed jacket with alternate artwork! 

PLEASE NOTE: This is a preorder item set to ship on or around 3/17. Any items ordered with this record will be held to ship when this item is ready to roll!

My kind of surprise drop, nice.

On 3/9/2017 at 9:14 PM, mindovermatter said:

Also, it's worth mentioning that the next couple of months are going to be a whirlwind of releases from us. I have my first baby on the way and I don't want to have to split my time too much for a little while after the birth (or make our bands feel like their release isn't important), so here is what you can expect:

Sparhawks - "The Quiet Hour" 12"  3/17 (mathy, noodly, post rock. Think TTNG without vocals. First single below)

First off, congrats and best of luck with the newborn-to-be.  That's exciting.  If you didn't already have you plate full, I'm sure you will soon.

Second, Sparhawks sounds like my cup of tea for sure.  Going to take a gamble.  The mockups Juan posted above are pretty alluring, and TTNG-gone-instrumental is a winning formula on paper.  Can't see myself being disappointed with it.

11 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

My kind of surprise drop, nice.

First off, congrats and best of luck with the newborn-to-be.  That's exciting.  If you didn't already have you plate full, I'm sure you will soon.

Second, Sparhawks sounds like my cup of tea for sure.  Going to take a gamble.  The mockups Juan posted above are pretty alluring, and TTNG-gone-instrumental is a winning formula on paper.  Can't see myself being disappointed with it.

Thank you, kind sir!  Life is certainly about to get WILD.  

As for Sparhawks, it's such a great record that I opted to put it out despite the fact that the band broke up.  I was willing to just take a bath on this record because it needed to be put out into the world.  I can only hope that everyone else agrees!

7 hours ago, throwgncpr said:

Damn you Austin for continually putting out cool shit *shakes fist at cloud*  :P

I just bought some drum gear, so I need to lay off the purchases for a couple weeks or so, but Sparhawks sound really rad. Will be sure to place another order in the not-too-distant future.

I definitely get it! My spending was a little wild in 2016, so I'm trying to be better this year.  Ha!

The yellow Sparhawks should be available for a while, but the blue is close to gone already. Unless you're super particular about the rarity of the pressing, you are fine to save up some pennies. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine in today, wow guess I'm the lucky winner opened it up to find the test pressing along with the blue and a nice note. Thanks, you guys are the best I will treasure it always. Really great album, just finishing up my first spin. I will have to place another order soon and pick up some more stuff, you have me as a life long fan

Coffin Problem / Glassfield Split 7" is available NOW!

aa045a47-6225-44ef-aec8-f4d7c053382d.jpg

Though we've been separated from our hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan due to geographic limitation for the last few years, we are still very much involved with the music scene there through friends and family.  Of course, when Lights At Sea dissolved and Glassfield emerged from the ashes we were STOKED!

This split release is the first time that we've worked with Coffin Problem, but it's so exciting because they fucking rock.  If you like what you hear, make sure to snag their LP as well!

Last little note on this bad boy:  the first 20 orders will receive a free copy of the Unwrought Atlas EP free of charge on top of our usual test pressing giveaway.  Act fast!

PRESSING INFO:
15 Test Presses
220 Coke Bottle Blue

Two bands hailing from Grand Rapids, Michigan and both fresh off of a release of their own (Coffin Problem's eponymous LP released last year on Dizzybird Records & Glassfield's "Unwrought Atlas" EP through Mind Over Matter) coming together in a demonstration of the crushing sonic diversity of the midwest! 

Coffin Problem's side explores more of the brooding side of things, plodding along at a menacing Jason Vorhees-behind-the-blond-at-the-abandoned-summer-camp pace. The tones are minor and the lyrics work pretty quickly to remind us of our impending doom. 

Glassfield explore a little bit further into the post-punk arena that they hinted at during portions of "Unwrought Atlas," but that is not to say that their contribution fails at bringing us a few slick riffs along with some haunting atmosphere along the way. 

While the Glassfield half seems a little more "upbeat," don't be fooled: this EP isn't leaving much on the table for celebration.

One lucky person who preorders this record between now and 4/7 will win a free test pressing of the record which comes in a screen printed jacket with alternate artwork!

http://www.mindovermatterrecords.com/MOM032.html

48 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Coffin Problem / Glassfield Split 7" is available NOW!

aa045a47-6225-44ef-aec8-f4d7c053382d.jpg

Though we've been separated from our hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan due to geographic limitation for the last few years, we are still very much involved with the music scene there through friends and family.  Of course, when Lights At Sea dissolved and Glassfield emerged from the ashes we were STOKED!

This split release is the first time that we've worked with Coffin Problem, but it's so exciting because they fucking rock.  If you like what you hear, make sure to snag their LP as well!

Last little note on this bad boy:  the first 20 orders will receive a free copy of the Unwrought Atlas EP free of charge on top of our usual test pressing giveaway.  Act fast!

PRESSING INFO:
15 Test Presses
220 Coke Bottle Blue

Two bands hailing from Grand Rapids, Michigan and both fresh off of a release of their own (Coffin Problem's eponymous LP released last year on Dizzybird Records & Glassfield's "Unwrought Atlas" EP through Mind Over Matter) coming together in a demonstration of the crushing sonic diversity of the midwest! 

Coffin Problem's side explores more of the brooding side of things, plodding along at a menacing Jason Vorhees-behind-the-blond-at-the-abandoned-summer-camp pace. The tones are minor and the lyrics work pretty quickly to remind us of our impending doom. 

Glassfield explore a little bit further into the post-punk arena that they hinted at during portions of "Unwrought Atlas," but that is not to say that their contribution fails at bringing us a few slick riffs along with some haunting atmosphere along the way. 

While the Glassfield half seems a little more "upbeat," don't be fooled: this EP isn't leaving much on the table for celebration.

One lucky person who preorders this record between now and 4/7 will win a free test pressing of the record which comes in a screen printed jacket with alternate artwork!

http://www.mindovermatterrecords.com/MOM032.html

I don't even listen to MoM stuff anymore, I just buy it with the quickness

7 hours ago, stl_ben said:

Wait...if you don't listen to it?  Why do you buy it?!

I think he means that he doesn't listen to it before he buys it.  ;-)  Brian is usually one of the first names to come through on a new release!

Thanks for the love recently, everyone!  I know that 4 releases in the course of 3 months is a bit to digest, but I promise that things are going to slow down for a minute while we get caught up on everything and prepare for our next round of releases.  These 7"s are in-hand and I am going to start packing them up as early as...RIGHT NOW!  

9 hours ago, mindovermatter said:

I think he means that he doesn't listen to it before he buys it.  ;-)  Brian is usually one of the first names to come through on a new release!

Thanks for the love recently, everyone!  I know that 4 releases in the course of 3 months is a bit to digest, but I promise that things are going to slow down for a minute while we get caught up on everything and prepare for our next round of releases.  These 7"s are in-hand and I am going to start packing them up as early as...RIGHT NOW!  

That makes more sense!

• 4 weeks later...

most of the MOMR I'm still interested in is sold out, but i'll take this opportunity to mention people should take advantage of the sale grab Sparhawks and Sunndrug both albums have demanded multiple spins, they really exceeded my expectations. That Glassfield/Coffin Problems split is pretty good too, well worth grabbing during the sale. Other great purchases include: Our Lady, Firebird Band 7" and Cadaver Dogs

• 2 weeks later...

NEW ARTIST! 

We are so excited to announce that Damien Done have joined the MOMR ranks!  We have a 7" in the works right now and a full-length coming soon after. 

You may recognize the name or the voice, as Damien has done some serious time as the vocalist for As Friends Rust (Official), Shai Hulud, and Culture (for starters) before starting his solo output. The "Stay Black" EP became a thing of myth when demos surfaced almost a decade before a proper release saw the light of day, and now Damien is picking up right where Stay Black left off:  dark, desolate and dripping with desperation.

heres a snippet of a new song:

So we've got one more new artist to announce!  I'm so thrilled to introduce you to usLights!

We will be releasing their debut LP titled "wæs" in June and there will be more details coming very soon!

The video below has a nice little snippet of one of their tunes. Check it out!

New PO today!!!!

MOM034_Cover_800.jpg

usLights - "waes" 12"

In usLights, expansive & shimmering psych-rock is linked by a golden thread of melody to a firm foundation of pop songwriting. Assembled in 2014 by Matt Nastri and former HERRA TERRA members Gregg Kusumah-Atmadja and Shawn Pelkey, the band crafts dreamy, often cinematic music that counterpoises heady sonics with a knack for the immediately engaging chorus.

“Shawn and i were in a synth pop band called Herra Terra,” explains Kusumah-Atmadja. “ usLights started off as an instrumental side project. We eventually started looking for a vocalist, but to no avail. So I decided to give it a shot (having no previous singing history) by recording a cover of “Teen Angst” by M83. We all liked how it came out and decided to roll with it.”

Pelkev and Kusumah-Atmadja left HERRA TERRA in 2014 to focus on usLights. All three members, though accomplished instrumentalists, had little vocal experience. Facing the challenge head on, the dove in and began a rigorous regime of rehearsals. Going back to the originally-instrumental compositions and adding vocals lines in a way that was natural and organic was a major challenge, and the band wound up having to rewrite the bulk of their material, and even abandon favorites that just weren’t meant to feature a vocal component. 

Preparing their music for performance proved an additional challenge. “In a live setting, everything is run from one keyboard workstation” explains Kusumah-Atmadja.  “A hellish amount of programming went into this transition as well. So between all of that and juggling our personal lives, it took a bit to get this off the ground.” 

Out of that epic effort came a record that deftly captures the creative spark, balanced at the intersection of the fearlessly avant and intimately familiar – and placed the band as finalists in Boston's 2016 Rock & Roll Rumble. Recorded at the bands home studio in Fitchburg, MA, as they were written, and mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound in New York, the record is a study in contrasts. Thematically, the record is focused on the sparks of positivity that can be found in the midst of existential anxiety and heartache. “This record was written during a very tensive and stressful part of my life, and i think it shows,” says Kusumah-Atmadja.

Though the end result is complex, multi-layered mélange of iridescent washes of sound, soaring melody, and gripping songwriting, the music comes from simple beginnings. “All of our songs start off as jams and are true collaborations between the three of us” relates Kusumah-Atmadja. “To me, this record is kind of me taking my psychic clothes off for the first time at thirtyfive and looking in the mirror. I hope that rawness and honesty is received by the listener. If someone really, truly wanted to get their head into this record my advice would be to drive to an empty parking lot at dusk. Get high and slowly take off your clothes. Rub peanut butter all over your body and calmly walk in front of your headlights. One by one, the moths will consume you. Only then will you know.”

Pressing Information:
12 Test Presses
60 Starburst
100 Opaque Light Blue
140 White

http://www.mindovermatterrecords.com/MOM034.html

New song premiere at Glide Magazine: https://glidemagazine.com/185214/song-premiere-uslights-offer-shiny-sweeping-grandeur-fumes/

• jhulud changed the title to Mind Over Matter Records Releases Hype Machine Thread - RIGHT NOW: duncan barlow - Colony Collapse 12" (very limited)
  • jhulud changed the title to Mind Over Matter Records Releases Hype Machine Thread - RIGHT NOW: GUILT - Bardstown Ugly Box 12" + 7" Reissue