The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

I like some of their exclusives and I like the option of buying only the things I want using that $6/mo crate membership. I just don't feel I need another place tempting me to spend $25+ for variants of new releases. At least with Newbury ones I don't have to pay a membership. I don't know. I just spend too much as it is, but I'm keeping an eye out for anything truly must-have and then maybe I'll sign up.

I view the six dollar charge as prepaid shipping as another poster alluded to. I think the pricing is pretty decent overall. The past few months, I've browsed the inventory and there are some higher priced items but they don't just arbitrarily change the price like Newbury has done. The Spectres album has convinced me to keep renewing my subscription for the next few months. I didn't get the original because of international shipping and this pressing looks to be less in numbers than the original too. I know Nothing - Tired of Tomorrow will be on for the May docket. 

You have the option to jump on and off as you like. I jumped on for this months "National - Cherry Tree" but don't plan to get anything next month. It's pretty cool they give you that option. Plus you get free shipping when you buy more than 1 record, which makes up for the $6 IMO

Yeah I get that you can leave whenever it suits its more that I've seen nothing that tickles my fancy that I don't already have. My interests being slightly more fringe/metal based and living in the UK make most subscriptions ill suited to me. The only exception I'd make would probably be a sub to a label like the Flenser or maybe The Native Sound as I normally end up getting most of their releases anyway. 

The Spectres album has convinced me to keep renewing my subscription for the next few months. I didn't get the original because of international shipping and this pressing looks to be less in numbers than the original too.

It is Translucent Grey was the rarest on release and was out of 500.

Also just wanted to say I received my first shipment from them the other day and shipping was top notch!

I've had quite a few problems with their packing. If you buy more than will fit in one of their bespoke mailers they seem to come loose in a box with some thick paper crumpled on top. Bends and seam splits abound. I've had splits in records in their mailers too, so I wonder what their quality control is like before they send things out. I think they have got worse as they have got bigger (which isn't an unusual phenomenon).

International member here and have been for close to a year now. Always look forward to their AOTM, even if it doesn't resonate with me. 

Left the store today with Black Mountain, SUUNS, Golden Rules and Sufjan. Wanted more but I really want to gold variant for Yeasayer and deluxe for The Range.

May go back for EITS but there are a ton of variants around. 

International member here and have been for close to a year now. Always look forward to their AOTM, even if it doesn't resonate with me.

Left the store today with Black Mountain, SUUNS, Golden Rules and Sufjan. Wanted more but I really want to gold variant for Yeasayer and deluxe for The Range.

May go back for EITS but there are a ton of variants around.

Shipping to Canada based on the crate prices seems relatively reasonable. Ever get dinged on customs for bigger orders?

Shipping to Canada based on the crate prices seems relatively reasonable. Ever get dinged on customs for bigger orders?

Nope!

Last order I received 6 pieces (Quilt, Forest Swords, Lapsley, Public Memory, Sound of Ceres, The National) and it was packed fairly well with no big issues or customs charges. 

They have also amended their international shipping to be cheaper. It used to be $7 a pop, now it's $5 for the first additional record, and $3 for each extra piece. 

Random note, I just noticed that my Mikael Seifu 'Zelalem' order was not included... gotta follow up. 

I've had quite a few problems with their packing. If you buy more than will fit in one of their bespoke mailers they seem to come loose in a box with some thick paper crumpled on top. Bends and seam splits abound. I've had splits in records in their mailers too, so I wonder what their quality control is like before they send things out. I think they have got worse as they have got bigger (which isn't an unusual phenomenon).

I've never ordered more than one record so I didn't know . Their individual mailers are on par with Amazon. It sounds a lot like Amazon Warehouse Deals where they just throw the record in a big box with some air pockets. Thanks for letting me know. I will keep that in mind if I order more than one thing.

I always have large shipments from them and never any damage to my records *knock on wood*

However 2-3 times they have forgotten 1-2 records in my order which sucked.

Luckily their support responds very quickly and they send replacements asap.

Yeah, I took the plunge after missing out on Quasimoto and Earl Sweatshirt. I like getting limited reissues of albums I missed or couldn't afford at the time for retail value. I agree there are enough copies of albums like Paranoid floating around out there but that's just one of many albums they release each month.

I subbed for the Menomena repress they did, buy haven't been interested in any release since. A lot of stuff that was either uninteresting or just needlessly repressed. Yes there were a few cool releases (Four Tet, etc.), but nothing I HAD to have.

They have removed the 'essential' label from every release that the club puts out as they were getting too much flack over their choices. Direct from the site: "We want to highlight new artists, essential releases from artists you may have heard of before, as well as a healthy dose of must-have reissues from decades past."

At the end of the day, it's not a 'club' that is meant to please everyone, and that's where people get confused. No one is forcing you (I'm using 'you' in the general term, not 'you' ehughes!) to join or to stay. You can cancel your membership at any time, or even just grab a Crate membership and pick up only the exclusives or past AOTM that you missed but want after the fact. 

I read on their message boards all the time that people are going to 'unsub' because they don't like the genre or the album that month, and it just boggles my mind as to what they thought they were getting into. This isn't VNYL. There is no survey to find out what you like.

Within a 5 month span we went from 70's metal, to 2000's neoclassical, to 90's rock, to 60's folk/blues, to 2016 electro-pop. If that idea scares you, then the club isn't for you!

They have removed the 'essential' label from every release that the club puts out as they were getting too much flack over their choices. Direct from the site: "We want to highlight new artists, essential releases from artists you may have heard of before, as well as a healthy dose of must-have reissues from decades past."

At the end of the day, it's not a 'club' that is meant to please everyone, and that's where people get confused. No one is forcing you (I'm using 'you' in the general term, not 'you' ehughes!) to join or to stay. You can cancel your membership at any time, or even just grab a Crate membership and pick up only the exclusives or past AOTM that you missed but want after the fact. 

I read on their message boards all the time that people are going to 'unsub' because they don't like the genre or the album that month, and it just boggles my mind as to what they thought they were getting into. This isn't VNYL. There is no survey to find out what you like.

Within a 5 month span we went from 70's metal, to 2000's neoclassical, to 90's rock, to 60's folk/blues, to 2016 electro-pop. If that idea scares you, then the club isn't for you!

Oh totally. I was drawn for the Menomena and stayed around to see what was next. Then went to the Crate sub to see if there was anything else that cropped up... Just cancelled that as I haven't made a buy in months. 

It's nice that the Crate is an option now. Would totally re-sub for another release if they put one out i HAD to have.

Good service, good customer service as well. 

10/10 would sub again.