The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

9 hours ago, yarostino said:

Could somebody check if the Glass Animals record is still available or if it is sold out? If I understand correctly I could order it if I am a member and if it is not sold out, right?

Members can order any past album of the months that are not sold out.  The public can only order past album of the months that are a year old according to their new store setup.  Anyone can view the store by clicking "Login" at the top of their page.  Anything that doesn't show the Member Exclusive Banner is fair game for anyone.  

More info on the store being open to the public and no new Crate subscriptions: http://blog.vinylmeplease.com/important-update-regarding-our-members-store/

Exclusive members-only purchase windows are as follows:

• VMP Archive (Past Monthly-Feature Albums) – 12 months
  • VMP Member Store Exclusives – 30 days
  • VMP Non-Exclusive Curated Vinyl – 7 days

I cancelled my Crate membership yesterday - didn't see anything coming up that I was interested in and was disappointed in the Preoccupations pressing. Guess that's cool I can still purchase exclusives after 30 days if they're available.

This shit bugs me though, and it's not just VMP: "In addition, we’ll be enforcing a 3-copy limit on any single product."

There's really no reason anyone needs more than 1 copy of any kind of variant. When it's exclusive stuff, it just makes it more difficult for others to get a copy - member or not. I can see someone buying a copy for a friend or something once in a while, but let's be honest, people are buying multiple copies to flip - either now or in the future. 

Flippers gobbling up copies is beneficial to a label/club to a certain extent, so far as it does not cause too much frustration to 'normal' consumers.  Instituting a 1 per person only rule would make 'normal' customers feel good but it would cause the label to lose a lot of sales on less desirable releases that are mainly propped up by the illusion of exclusivity.  Even with flippers being able to buy multiple copies, there are still low run releases (500-1,000) that don't sell out for a long time (and some never do).  Labels benefit from flipping as long as it doesn't anger their customers who miss out to the point that they lose them.

Edited by rds

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Danny Brown still available? If so...

Finances are tight atm as saving for an upcoming wedding in Thailand so I temporarily canceled my VMP account last month.

However, AE is one of my favorite albums of the year amd I have sealed copies of the new Wilco (pink) or Ride: Best of (BF Red) that I'd be willing to trade. You might even be able to talk be out of the Orange High Fedility soundtrack or Flume's marbled purple varient of Skin.

36 minutes ago, mmfood said:

If I sign up for one month (to get Danny Brown) I don't have to get Beck's album (Record of the Month) for the subscription price? Can I choose the Fugees album?

EDIT:Read I can only do that with a 3-month subscription

It might be worth messaging them to say that you want to try a month to see how it all works but you do not want to commit to three months yet.. they have really good customer service so they might do that as a one time thing.

7 hours ago, mmfood said:

If I sign up for one month (to get Danny Brown) I don't have to get Beck's album (Record of the Month) for the subscription price? Can I choose the Fugees album?

EDIT:Read I can only do that with a 3-month subscription

You'd either have to do Crate for $6 and you don't have to take an album of the month, or do a monthly subscription for $27 and get November's album of the month which won't be announced until the 25th (Though they have a guess thread with hints on their forum and everyone seems to have a pretty good idea what it's going to be, you can PM me if you want to know the favorite). 

11 hours ago, downisthenewup87 said:

Is the Danny Brown still available? If so...

Finances are tight atm as saving for an upcoming wedding in Thailand so I temporarily canceled my VMP account last month.

However, AE is one of my favorite albums of the year amd I have sealed copies of the new Wilco (pink) or Ride: Best of (BF Red) that I'd be willing to trade. You might even be able to talk be out of the Orange High Fedility soundtrack or Flume's marbled purple varient of Skin.

Looks like there's still over 500 copies of Danny Brown available.  

1 hour ago, YouTwo said:

You'd either have to do Crate for $6 and you don't have to take an album of the month, or do a monthly subscription for $27 and get November's album of the month which won't be announced until the 25th (Though they have a guess thread with hints on their forum and everyone seems to have a pretty good idea what it's going to be, you can PM me if you want to know the favorite). 

Thanks I had no idea about the crate thing. I'll probably just do that. 

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I don't think they're offering the crate anymore...right?

In a blog post on 10/6 they said they are eliminating the Crate membership for new signups, effective immediately.

But it looks like the Crate subscription page is still available: http://vinylmeplease.com/crate/

So not sure.

11 minutes ago, ksuwdboots said:

In a blog post on 10/6 they said they are eliminating the Crate membership for new signups, effective immediately.

But it looks like the Crate subscription page is still available: http://vinylmeplease.com/crate/

So not sure.

Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure.    

I wonder what happens if you sign up for a monthly membership, place an order for Danny Brown and the Fugees, and then cancel your membership when the November AOTM is announced.  I think the window for Beck has passed so you're membership won't activate until November 2  but I think you can still shop in the store.  

1 hour ago, ksuwdboots said:

So not sure.

I signed up for Crate yesterday and ordered something from the store.

dunno what all the confusion is about.. if you're not an active member and want something, all you have to to is pay shipping instead of getting it shipped free.

you don't have to be a paying (active) member to buy member exclusives, just as long as you have an account, it's just gonna be $6 more expensive than an active account 

3 minutes ago, antisyntax said:

dunno what all the confusion is about.. if you're not an active member and want something, all you have to to is pay shipping instead of getting it shipped free.

you don't have to be a paying (active) member to buy member exclusives, just as long as you have an account, it's just gonna be $6 more expensive than an active account 

You're forgetting about the member exclusive windows.

Exclusive members-only purchase windows are as follows:

VMP Archive (Past Monthly-Feature Albums) – 12 months

VMP Member Store Exclusives – 30 days

VMP Non-Exclusive Curated Vinyl – 7 days

A non-member can't buy the VMP exclusive variant of Danny Brown until 11/17 (assuming there are any left by then).

6 minutes ago, ksuwdboots said:

Since you have all the answers, how does one create a VMP account without being/becoming a paying (active) member?

I was a member of VMP with an inactive/non-paying account. For months I never had any problems accessing and buying VMP-exclusive club titles in their store.

As of yesterday that changed, however. Not sure if this was a hiccup of their new store or not. Syntax may have more info on how to still purchase club titles without being a paying member, not sure.

7 minutes ago, lethalenforcer said:

I was a member of VMP with an inactive/non-paying account. For months I never had any problems accessing and buying VMP-exclusive club titles in their store.

As of yesterday that changed, however. Not sure if this was a hiccup of their new store or not. Syntax may have more info on how to still purchase club titles without being a paying member, not sure.

I had the same problem yesterday.  When I tried purchasing Stranger Things it said it was for members only and I'd have to renew.  So I passed.   I had been able to purchase exclusives as a former member every time they dropped before yesterday

November Record of the Month...

Beck, Odelay

The Books - The Lemon of Pink

• Lemon-colored vinyl w/ hot pink splatter
  • Full-color gatefold, die-cut jacket featuring all new album art with metallic inks and foil stamping
  • 16-page full-color, full-sized booklet featuring all new artwork, extensive liner notes written by Nick Zammuto including track-by-track artist commentary
  • Full album digital download card

I'm not sure how I feel about the album, but that packaging looks really nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Nov store list: I'd be all over that NxWorries, but I already ordered the Rough Trade variant.

MEMBER STORE EXCLUSIVES
  • ISLANDS, Return to the Sea (Clear w/ Blue, Grey + Purple Splatter, LTD to 750), $27
  • Various Artists, This Record Belongs To… (Red + White Color in Color Swirl, Foil Stamp Numbered, LTD to 1,100), $27. Package Includes: Coloring Book + Sticker Pack.
  • NxWorries, Yes Lawd! (Limited to 1,000, 2LP, Yellow Vinyl), $27
  • Chester Watson, Past Cloaks (Grey + Black Marbled Vinyl, LTD to 500), $24

CURATED NEW RELEASES
  • Lambchop, FLOTUS (2LP), $24
  • David Bazan, Dark Sacred Nights (Blue w/ White Snow Vinyl), $19
  • Sleigh Bells, Jessica Rabbit (Special Edition Limited Color Vinyl, Signed Poster),$22
  • Schoolboy Q, Blank Face (2LP), $27
  • Yohuna, Patientness, $17
  • Sad13, Slugger, $15
  • Wolf People, Ruins (Clear Vinyl), $18
  • 65daysofstatic, No Man’s Sky: Music for an Infinite Universe (2LP), $31
  • Empire of the Sun, Two Vines, $22
  • Aaron Lee Tasjan, Silver Tears, $17
  • Martyrdöd, List (Deaf Forever Metal Pick), $14
  • Chasms, On the Legs of Love Purified, $18
  • LRKR, Getting Along (Blue Vinyl, Custom Art Print), $14
  • Illum Sphere, Glass, (Digital/Divide Electronic Pick), $23
  • Lorenzo Senni, Persona, (Digital/Divide Electronic Pick) *Release LTD to 1,000 Worldwide, $15
  • Josh Dillard, Through the Eye of Time, $14
  • Monster Rally, Mystery Cove 12” (Sky Blue Vinyl), $19
  • River Tiber, Indigo, $14
  • Hope Sandoval & The Warm Intentions, Until the Hunter (2LP), $24
  • The Laurels, Sociology, $19
  • Kate Tempest, Let Them Eat Chaos, $19
  • Leonard Cohen, You Want it Darker, $24
  • Lee Fields & The Expressions, Special Night, $23

CURATED REISSUES
  • Blockhead, Bells and Whistles (2LP, Red Vinyl), $19
  • Bright Eyes, Lifted! Or the Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground (2LP, 180g), $29
  • Shanghai’d Soul, Episode 4, $16
  • Bobo Yeye, Belle Epoque in Upper Volta (3LP), $61
  • The Books, Thought for Food, $20
  • The Books, Lost and Safe, $20
  • Yoko Ono, Plastic Ono Band, $21
  • Bright Eyes, I’m Wide Awake It’s Morning, $18
  • Guster, Lost and Gone Forever, $23
  • Vince Guaraldi, A Charlie Brown Christmas (Green Vinyl), $17
  • Midlake, The Trials of Van Occupanther (Gold Vinyl, 2LP, 10th Anniversary), $28
  • Beck, Guero, $18
  • Beck, Sea Change (2LP), $23

SELECTOR SERIES
  • Damon, Song of a Gypsy (2LP), $24
  • Various Artists, Soul Cal, $21
  • Gloria Ann Taylor, Love is a Hurtin’ Thing, $24
  • L.A. Carnival, Would Like to Pose a Question, $19

BOX SETS
  • Radiohead, A Moon Shaped Pool (2LP/2CD, Deluxe Box Set), $89