The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

5 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Their "curated" releases have a member exclusive window of 7 days.  The store opened on the 16th so only members can buy them until the 23rd.  Store Exclusives have a 30 day window and AOTM have a 1 year window.  

But what I'm saying is there's nothing "exclusive" about the curated releases. You don't have to be a member of VMP to buy a Pixies reissue that's been available on Amazon and elsewhere for close to 10 years. Maybe it's a "better price" than online but if you look you could find it cheaper.

I don't mind them highlighting notable albums, but don't call them "exclusives." The colored FJM that sold out in half a day? THAT is an exclusive.

Edited by filthyrich

Just now, filthyrich said:

But what I'm saying is there's nothing "exclusive" about the curated releases. You don't have to be a member of VMP to buy a Pixies reissue that's been available on Amazon and elsewhere for close to 10 years. Maybe it's a "better price" than online but if you look you could find it cheaper.

I don't mind them highlighting notable albums, but don't call them "exclusives." The FJM that sold out in half a day? THAT is an exclusive.

Your are correct, nothing "exclusive" except the ability to purchase.  But members get first crack before they sell out.  Some members just like getting everything in one box every month.  But yeah, if it sold out there are certainly more (and possibly cheaper) buying options.  But members get free shipping too.  It used to be that only members could buy from the store no matter if it was an exclusive or a curated title.  Now after the appropriate window the general public can buy from the store and pay shipping.  

1 minute ago, filthyrich said:

I don't mind them highlighting notable albums, but don't call them "exclusives." The FJM that sold out in half a day? THAT is an exclusive.

Yeah, the exclusive title is confusing for things like that. When I signed back up it took me a minute to figure it all out.

I think the big reason why they put the exclusive tag on it is they are referring to it being exclusive for actual members not being an overall exclusive release to the store which can easily get confusing at first glance for sure. This allows all the members a chance to grab what they want before they take that exclusive tag off of it and allow non-members to buy it as well.

1 minute ago, YouTwo said:

Your are correct, nothing "exclusive" except the ability to purchase.  But members get first crack before they sell out.  Some members just like getting everything in one box every month.  But yeah, if it sold out there are certainly more (and possibly cheaper) buying options.  But members get free shipping too.  It used to be that only members could buy from the store no matter if it was an exclusive or a curated title.  Now after the appropriate window the general public can buy from the store and pay shipping.  

Aha. Last time I joined the store was members-only all the time. 

I only did it for one month but I came out pretty good... Got the yellow vinyl of Evil Empire before it sold out and my AoTM was MMJ's Z... which looks to be sold out now too. VMP seems to work best if you time your subscriptions correctly.

1 minute ago, Number11 said:

I always lumped this in with that other subscription service. Looking at their back catalogue.. they've been releasing some decent stuff.

Yeah, they've always had decent stuff, but I've never actually bitten until today. I may stick around if next month's is pretty good too.

25 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Can someone change this topic's title to "VMP Referral Codes", and start a new thread pertaining to releases?

Don't forget the threads for the "When does the $10 referral credit show up?". The "How come I didn't get an email when someone used my code?". The "If I sign up now, do I get the ABC or the XYZ?" The "When do I cancel so I don't get charged for the next month?"

It has been the same posts cycled for the last 5 or so pages. This thread sucks.

2 minutes ago, Number11 said:

I always lumped this in with that other subscription service. Looking at their back catalogue.. they've been releasing some decent stuff.

It seems like they've put a lot of effort into a lot of the more recent ones.  They had both Panda Bear and Main Source mastered for them and as far I know neither has received a wider release.  The Beck one from a couple months back sounds outstanding.  

35 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

But members get free shipping too. 

If we buy something from the store, do they put it on hold until the next ROTM ships out to be eligible for free shipping or will they cover the cost of an "off-cycle" shipment too?

Edited by armadillo01
Clarification

Just now, armadillo01 said:

If we buy something from the store, do they put it on hold until the next ROTM for free shipping or will they cover the cost of an "off-cycle" shipment too?

If you buy something when the store opens it ships with the next month's ROTM.  I'm not sure what happens if you order between the ROTM's shipped and the next store opening.  

25 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

It's probably my favorite one since I joined.  Well, before Demon Days that is.  

Is the VMP Odelay better, worse, or the same as the Bong Load Odelay? 

It's kind of a toss-up for me in terms of the colors... But the Bong Load is already going for some $$ now, so I could easily unload it if the VMP is better mastering.

If you buy something when the store opens it ships with the next month's ROTM.  I'm not sure what happens if you order between the ROTM's shipped and the next store opening.  

Yeah, I did this for the first time since I signed up at the last second. I bought three albums and I only got a shipping notification for the Tennis album so far with the others saying a shipment estimate of april 4th to 10th so mine will be at least two different packages.

It's kind of a toss-up for me in terms of the colors... But the Bong Load is already going for some $$ now, so I could easily unload it if the VMP is better mastering.

I don't know about the Bong Load one, but the VMP one was pressed at Pallas in Germany and sounds fantastic.  There was a string that were defective with a lot of surface noise on Side A from a bad stamper but if you get one they will replace it for you.  

I don't know about the Bong Load one, but the VMP one was pressed at Pallas in Germany and sounds fantastic.  There was a string that were defective with a lot of surface noise on Side A from a bad stamper but if you get one they will replace it for you.  

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm going for a 3-month international plan for $108 listed... I'm not sure if that's in CAD or USD (Makes all the difference in the world given the exchange rate).

1 minute ago, hype said:

Yeah, I did this for the first time since I signed up at the last second. I bought three albums and I only got a shipping notification for the Tennis album so far with the others saying a shipment estimate of april 4th to 10th so mine will be at least two different packages.

Hmm maybe they did you a solid considering you bought 3 at once. For a Canadian like me, this is the deal according to the FAQ: 

Add On Shipping:

Add ons ordered from the store will be bundled with your upcoming subscription shipment. Because shipping is charged by weight, additional shipping charges will be incurred. Those charges are broken out as such:

Canada: $5 for the first item; $3 for each additional item

Just now, armadillo01 said:

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm going for a 3-month international plan for $108 listed... I'm not sure if that's in CAD or USD (Makes all the difference in the world given the exchange rate).

Hmm maybe they did you a solid considering you bought 3 at once. For a Canadian like me, this is the deal according to the FAQ: 

Add On Shipping:

Add ons ordered from the store will be bundled with your upcoming subscription shipment. Because shipping is charged by weight, additional shipping charges will be incurred. Those charges are broken out as such:

Canada: $5 for the first item; $3 for each additional item

Sorry I didn't realize you were international.  Free shipping is only for the US.