The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

2 minutes ago, museummouth said:

What title have the released that has been anywhere close to this is terms of demand?

The Weezer and Fugees albums are both considered classics by many and are still there a year later. Honestly, I have never been a big fan of the gorillas so I just never even knew this album was that big of a deal at all. Obviously the fact that there has been no recent pressings of it and the originals go for so much is the majority of the reason it sold this quick but still pretty surprising.

5 minutes ago, hype said:

The Weezer and Fugees albums are both considered classics by many and are still there a year later. Honestly, I have never been a big fan of the gorillas so I just never even knew this album was that big of a deal at all. Obviously the fact that there has been no recent pressings of it and the originals go for so much is the majority of the reason it sold this quick but still pretty surprising.

You must not hang around Gorillaz fans. Very passionate and rabid. We've been starving for new material as well as the repress for DD. Cause believe me if I told you the amount of people I gave my referral code to today alone you might change your mind...

Edited by Vector53

5 minutes ago, Vector53 said:

You must not hang around Gorillaz fans. Very passionate and rabid. We've been starving for new material as well as the repress for DD. Cause believe me if I told you the amount of people I gave my referral code to today you might change your mind...

I clearly underestimated you guys haha.. That's awesome though that so many people are finally getting it at a decent price and I look forward to letting it grow on me since I def. like the production.

3 minutes ago, hype said:

I clearly underestimated you guys haha.. That's awesome though that so many people are finally getting it at a decent price and I look forward to letting it grow on me since I def. like the production.

Like let me put it to you this way: People literally were guessing a password to a guy who was making the new stage show for Gorillaz at Demon Dayz this June and they manage to get into it when they realized the password was '2017'. They then got in and proceed to leak out 5 demo tracks. So yeah 'rabid'. 

and yes I have listened to those tracks...;)

Edited by Vector53

29 minutes ago, hype said:

Pinkerton has been pressed so many times in so many variations. Not too sure about the Fugees, but DD has been a white whale for a lot of people. This is equivalent of them getting Good Apollo: I as an exclusive.

Numbers wise, I bet this is /10,000ish

wow, found this from one year ago

n the two years since that first big jump in interest, Vinyl Me, Please has continued to grow. Fiedler is careful not to reveal solid numbers but says the subscriber list is well above 15,000 customers. He attributes the company’s success to an acute understanding of its target demographic: men, mostly, in their late twenties to early thirties, with some disposable income, living in and around large cities.

http://www.westword.com/music/analog-revolution-colorados-vinyl-me-please-reinvents-the-record-club-7841755

10 minutes ago, Codyoster said:

How will VMP ever top this? I highly doubt they will keep all subscribers who only signed up for Demon Days or that they will ever generate this much interest again. It will be interesting which direction they go in after this

They're gonna have to back this up with something very, very decent or everyone will bail.

I think it depends on how much they're being charged per record. Based on the overstock they have to order to cover damage during shipping, there's no way they're not getting some sort of massive discount on a bulk pressing/order.

As for continuing to one-up themselves,  I feel the staff have enough of a sense of humor about themselves that they might just deliberately put out a lemon to see how many people jump ship, but there's still plenty of untapped releases out there that they could pull something pretty big out that nobody was really expecting but everybody may not necessarily want...Savage Garden's S/T was never pressed, for example. I personally don't give a shit as long as what they choose has some sort of relevance and substance.

Since I can finally take a second and address the "I don't want someone choosing for me" comment, that's totally your prerogative. Just don't see why you feel the need to shit on someone else who doesn't mind it as an option and has the disposable income to do so. I've certainly felt like I wasted more money gambling on represses of stuff I knew that was pressed like shit.