The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

12 hours ago, zerohacker said:

19 minutes ago, Puthextallin said:

Turned down a $300 offer for my original demon days last week. Ha. 

Damn. 

Damn is right, I paid less than $75 for mine, and I doubt I'd sell it for $300 either, though I rarely sell vinyl. Usually only if it's a bad master or press.

9 hours ago, filthyrich said:

It's either a glitch or VMP really did pull the 1-month option.

I mean, they already know their pressing run number. (Even though they won't announce it publicly.) If the powers-that-be see that they're, say, 80%  sold out within half a day of the announcement, you can bet they're gonna eliminate the cheapest option for this month.

If the 3-month option disappears too, you know this thing is a sellout and they're probably gonna cap subscriptions for the first time ever.

EDIT: Well damn. Who knew??

Quoting myself above for posterity.

Unpopular opinion, since this is a VMP thread and not a Gorillaz thread: can someone explain the main appeal of Gorillaz?  Or Demon Days in general?  I knew that OP copies fetched a nice coin, and that its lack of a repress has made it desirable over the years as a collector's piece... but musically speaking, I mean.  What did this album do – even if it's for you, on a personal note – that has placed it on such a pedestal?  Way before the referral chatter, DOMAN said that the middle of the record is the only part he considers good... and to me, even that's pretty generous.  I guess you can chalk it up to different strokes for different folks, but this isn't one album I was particularly fond to revisit from my youth.  What do Gorillaz do that puts them on the map other than being a virtual band?  Trying my best to ask this sincerely and without condescending undertones.

Whatever the case is, I'm glad that anyone who's been wanting this record without spending $100+ is finally able to obtain it.  That's a great feeling and one worth celebrating regardless of opinion on the band itself.  I'll be impressed if VMP manage to outdo this release, but I guess anything is possible.

Edited by Derek™

30 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

Unpopular opinion, since this is a VMP thread and not a Gorillaz thread: can someone explain the main appeal of Gorillaz?  Or Demon Days in general? 

For me, I was really young when this album came out, I think I was 8 or 9, and Feel Good Inc. and DARE were all over the radio, and it was wild. I remember being memorized by all the videos they had to all of these songs on this record. It wasn't until years later I really understood what this group did with this album, they made a very well rounded, organic sounding album, that could appeal to rock fans, hip-hop fans, electronic fans, just music fans. This album played a part in my childhood personally and helped me find enjoyment in Hip-Hop when I only liked rock music, and later a fan of electronic music. If people don't like them or this album, then that's fine, since music is subjective, but that's what this album means to me, personally. 

Oh, and the Gorillaz website during this era was lit af.

I never got it. I remember the first album coming out and my brother getting a pirate copy on cd, he hated it and gave it to me and I ended up throwing it out. When they turned up again 5 years later I was surprised they were even still a thing, Dare & Feel Good Inc. got a decent amount of radio play but never really bowled me or anyone I knew over. 

Legitimately haven't heard anything by them or about them since so I figured even if there was a fan base they'd have starved and died out. 

I didn't realize VMP was up to that many subscribers.  I would be really curious on the pressing numbers.  I couldn't find hard numbers on the first press but Discogs says that about 2100 people have a copy, for what it's worth.  Also, how many current subscribers will swap?

I'm hoping they follow up with a Manson release...

3 hours ago, Reshiram454 said:

For me, I was really young when this album came out, I think I was 8 or 9, and Feel Good Inc. and DARE were all over the radio, and it was wild...     This album played a part in my childhood personally and helped me find enjoyment in Hip-Hop 

Damn I'm old

5 hours ago, Derek™ said:

Unpopular opinion, since this is a VMP thread and not a Gorillaz thread: can someone explain the main appeal of Gorillaz?  Or Demon Days in general?  I knew that OP copies fetched a nice coin, and that its lack of a repress has made it desirable over the years as a collector's piece... but musically speaking, I mean.  What did this album do – even if it's for you, on a personal note – that has placed it on such a pedestal?  Way before the referral chatter, DOMAN said that the middle of the record is the only part he considers good... and to me, even that's pretty generous.  I guess you can chalk it up to different strokes for different folks, but this isn't one album I was particularly fond to revisit from my youth.  What do Gorillaz do that puts them on the map other than being a virtual band?  Trying my best to ask this sincerely and without condescending undertones.

Whatever the case is, I'm glad that anyone who's been wanting this record without spending $100+ is finally able to obtain it.  

This was the first major project Dangermouse did after dropping the Grey album. So it had massive buzz around it. You combine that with Albarns songwriting and knack for pop melody, it was an incredibly promising LP.  I think even for the time, merging hip hop, pop, and indie was still pretty novel. So I think this album checked all the boxes for good critical scores. Combine that with a hit song, I can see why this album is a touchstone for many. 

That at being said, I was a massive fan of the s/t, it's b-sides, the DVD. In fact I devoured everything Albarn made. This came out after Think Tank which was a let down for me. I think the sour taste of that album really marred any excitement I had about DD and ultimately I thought the album was half good (to this day I still don't like Monkey with Fire). I will say though I've revisited it over the years and fell in love more with it. It's very much an Albarn album and the features are really well placed. The production is flawless and I think the songs themselves are some of the best Damon has written this century. 

I think in general, Gorillaz just makes great tunes and I think Albarn is incredibly talented and well respected that's why they are a thing. 

Edited by timsimmons

For me, Gorillaz is nostalgic and reminds me of 2005 and what I was into at the time. I listened to DD the other day, and it still grooved; but I'm not sure I would feel the same way if it was released today.

As for VMP, it makes sense that this sold out with their 20k+(or more?) already existing members, and new sign-ups. They have stated that they want to reduce the runs of the ROTM and try to put value on actually being a member versus trying to hunt an album down in the aftermarket for 1/2 price. It is yet to be seen if this works... but I'm sure you will find a handful of DD in the aftermarket from members not interested in it. You just may have to pay a little premium (until there is inevitably a black press...)

Also, love the salt around people thinking VMP is curating peoples listening habits. I subscribe because I have the disposable income to get a random record each month that someone thinks I should listen to. This is no different than walking into a record store and asking the clerk what they recommend this month. For me, VMP is 50/50 and while a lot of packages are spot on, the music doesn't hit for me (Lapsley, Nada Surf, Wilco). But I'm ok with this as the rest of my dough goes to albums I know I want.