The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

The Gorillaz is just one of many expensive LP's in my Discogs wantlist that I keep a constant eye on looking for a good deal or pondering whether I just throw caution to the wind and pay what it takes to own it. I have noticed that Demon Days is one of very few expensive LP's that seems to have a constantly high turnover, way more than any >$150 record which I have watched. While the album is too recent to become an icon in the same way many 70/80's albums have become over a long time period, it sure has mass appeal. I was fortunate to get on the VMP train when I first saw the release of DD posted on VC but it still baffles me as to why such a massively in demand LP was re-issued on a restricted retail model such VMP.

I cannot wait to get this, the CD sounds fantastic and I can only imagine those deep groovy bass lines going to the next level on vinyl if this is well mastered.

3 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I'd argue it was beaten to the punch by Unkle's - Psyence Fiction but still if this album represents an epiphany moment or turning point for a whole bunch of people I totally get why everyone went so batshit about this re-issue. 

I prefer that UNKLE record too (one of the best things Shadow did after Entroducing) but here's the difference:

--Psyence Fiction has been easily available on vinyl since its release. I grabbed a copy for under $20 some years back. It's... OK, sound-wise.

--Demon Days has been OOP for a decade, and regularly sells for $150 and up. 

The fact that VMP got exclusive rights to an in-demand OOP title for the first time in their history is the reason they sold out of subs in less than a day. Simple as that. Others say, "But what about the Fugees/Weezer?" Well, both of those titles had already been repressed and were easy to find (the Weezer in multiple versions!) so VMP's only "hook" was cool colors. Demon Days could've been ordinary black and demand wouldn't have changed one iota.

15 minutes ago, filthyrich said:

I prefer that UNKLE record too (one of the best things Shadow did after Entroducing) but here's the difference:

--Psyence Fiction has been easily available on vinyl since its release. I grabbed a copy for under $20 some years back. It's... OK, sound-wise.

--Demon Days has been OOP for a decade, and regularly sells for $150 and up. 

The fact that VMP got exclusive rights to an in-demand OOP title for the first time in their history is the reason they sold out of subs in less than a day. Simple as that. Others say, "But what about the Fugees/Weezer?" Well, both of those titles had already been repressed and were easy to find (the Weezer in multiple versions!) so VMP's only "hook" was cool colors. Demon Days could've been ordinary black and demand wouldn't have changed one iota.

True, the only difference is if Demon Days were black they would have lost a very select few who already own it (myself included). The exclusive color way makes it enticing to everyone

4 hours ago, filthyrich said:

Others say, "But what about the Fugees/Weezer?" Well, both of those titles had already been repressed and were easy to find (the Weezer in multiple versions!) so VMP's only "hook" was cool colors. 

There's more to both releases than a simple colour variant, whether it's the 7" that came with The Fugees or the fact that the Weezer album is from MOFI plates but significantly cheaper and with a pop-up gatefold (not to mention the art print and cocktail which vary in value from member to member), I wouldn't say they were simply coloured variants. 

That being said, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment that the supply / demand around DD is what propelled it to sell out. 

14 minutes ago, augustus said:

I just like knowing which cocktails to pair with my albums. 

Not sure if this is sarcasm (I assume it is, but will respond in kind :)) but I have never made them myself. They often require me going to buy a liquor, bitters, syrup, etc. that I would never use again. So I pass and really don't get any value from them. 

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

There's more to both releases than a simple colour variant, whether it's the 7" that came with The Fugees or the fact that the Weezer album is from MOFI plates but significantly cheaper and with a pop-up gatefold (not to mention the art print and cocktail which vary in value from member to member), I wouldn't say they were simply coloured variants. 

That being said, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment that the supply / demand around DD is what propelled it to sell out. 

Ah yeah, I forgot about the Fugees 7"... I guess that was extra incentive. I wouldn't say the Weezer was "significantly" cheaper... If you were joining just for that month, you were paying $27 for the record, whereas the MoFi varies from $30-35 (and sometimes less if you find a deal, I got mine for $25). And I'm sure most Weezer fans were like me and jumped on the MoFi's early, assuming they'd eventually sell out (nightmare flashback to Sea Change). And yet here we are, many years and 18,000 "limited numbered editions" later.....

I guess my point with most VMP AoTM selections is they have several "incentives" to appeal to diehards (unique variant, pop-up gatefold, alternate cover art for Z).... But most said diehards will have already purchased the release in question.  So it's more a "do I want to drop $27 to buy this record again in a slightly more unique version" argument.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, JezmundToo said:

I just got notified by email that they have a "spot" open, but it is only for the 3, 6, or 12 months subscriptions. Boooooooo.

I paid $71 with the $10 referral code that's going around.  I would grab the 3-month if I were you if you really want the Gorillaz.  Worse case you swap out the next two records or sell them (word is the next one might be a big release too though). 

5 minutes ago, djghost1976 said:

I paid $71 with the $10 referral code that's going around.  I would grab the 3-month if I were you if you really want the Gorillaz.  Worse case you swap out the next two records or sell them (word is the next one might be a big release too though). 

Good point about swaps.  They are now unlimited so you should be able to find something you want for the next 2 months.  If not, then a record club probably isn't for you.

For the most part, it is really not for me. I have seen one other record from VMP that I was excited about, but nothing as much as the Gorillaz. I may just have to pull the trigger just to get a non-bootleg version of Demon Days. Too bad the Temples is gone from the store now.

edit: VMP sort of reminds me of Newbury with all their unnecessary pressings. Also, I am a grumpy old man.

Edited by JezmundToo

4 minutes ago, JezmundToo said:

For the most part, it is really not for me. I have seen one other record from VMP that I was excited about, but nothing as much as the Gorillaz. I may just have to pull the trigger just to get a non-bootleg version of Demon Days. Too bad the Temples is gone from the store now.

edit: VMP sort of reminds me of Newbury with all their unnecessary pressings. Also, I am a grumpy old man.

I say this as a biased VMP subscriber, but I actually find their exclusives to me quite the opposite of Newbury.  A lot of them are great new releases and it seems to me like they put a lot of time into selecting them.  And their pricing is usually in line with, maybe a couple bucks more, than you can find the standard releases for.  Newbury seems to re-press albums that are readily available for cheap and really jacks up the price.