The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

Just now, Canuckle said:

Not my cup of tea (I tried, I swear I did!) but I can see why people are attracted to it. Although to be fair, most of my fav albums end up in the sale section for much cheaper :wacko:

I'm shocked Islands (and kick ass variant at that) is still around. 

Yeah, that Islands record is pretty damn good.  I'm surprised it's there too when their customer base is very indie rock heavy.

If you are a Crate member and hoping Tidal makes it to the next month as an archive title you would be taking a big risk IMO. 

If you are certain you want the album, you may simply want to jump on as a sub for a month, although they may catch on to your ability to go back to Crate and you will lose that option forever. Risk / reward depending on how bad you want Tidal. 

3 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Yeah, that Islands record is pretty damn good.  I'm surprised it's there too when their customer base is very indie rock heavy.

I'm wondering it is because there was also a RE last year on standard black? 

With all this said, what the VMP board loves is often a little askew from what the general public loves. If it were up to them, NAO and sir Was would be long gone. For me, that Methyl Ethel was fire and I love it. 

Just now, Canuckle said:

With all this said, what the VMP board loves is often a little askew from what the general public loves. If it were up to them, NAO and sir Was would be long gone. For me, that Methyl Ethel was fire and I love it. 

I've said it once, I've said it twice, and I'll say it again: Those guys are a weird bunch

8 minutes ago, Canuckle said:

If you are a Crate member and hoping Tidal makes it to the next month as an archive title you would be taking a big risk IMO. 

If you are certain you want the album, you may simply want to jump on as a sub for a month, although they may catch on to your ability to go back to Crate and you will lose that option forever. Risk / reward depending on how bad you want Tidal. 

Agreed.  They are going to pay the $29 for the album either way.  Might as well lock it in now than take a chance that they sell out if its an album that you really want.  

3 minutes ago, charles1028 said:

Agreed.  They are going to pay the $29 for the album either way.  Might as well lock it in now than take a chance that they sell out if its an album that you really want.  

Yeap, just a matter of if you value the sweet Crate membership (access to AOTM archive, exclusives and store with 'free' shipping) over Tidal

Went ahead and took everyone's advice and did the Monthly $29 sub to secure the record. Weirdly enough, on my account page it still shows that I will be charged $6 on 5/2. I shot them an email already asking what the issue may be and if I need to cancel one or other or get reimbursed for one at least or I'm SOL. Let's see how long it takes them to reply.

Honestly...this is such a clusterfuck so far from my POV.

22 minutes ago, jhulud said:

Went ahead and took everyone's advice and did the Monthly $29 sub to secure the record. Weirdly enough, on my account page it still shows that I will be charged $6 on 5/2. I shot them an email already asking what the issue may be and if I need to cancel one or other or get reimbursed for one at least or I'm SOL. Let's see how long it takes them to reply.

I sincerely don't think they have the staff or infrastructure to support this level of hype. And frankly, I get it, because one month you are doing an expensive variant of Tennis... the next, probably the biggest reissue get so far in 2017. How do you staff or prepare for that? What happens when the next month is a ho-hum release that doesn't garner this hype?

I agree there have been miscues (specifically around the site going down), but they generally try to make things right. I feel the volume of shit hitting the fan has been overwhelming. 

Also, did you upgrade from your member page? Sometimes that can take a business day or so to process.

And for the record, I am not a VMP employee or shill. I have been a member there for over 2 years and experienced some highs and lows with them (cough old store openings cough).

One thing that has been made clear to me, is that they are not doing this to get rich or scam anyone. They have literally built this thing from the ground up, and with that comes growing pains. So I often give them a bit more slack, as I know their heart is in the right place.

54 minutes ago, jhulud said:

It is def. a clusterfuck for sure.. Especially after just doing the Gorillaz release.

They will get you situated and taken care of though I have zero doubt. The one thing I can't complain about whatsoever is there customer service.

2 hours ago, jhulud said:

I had the same issue last month and they said that if I cancelled my Crate subscription, it would be gone for good since I was 'grandfathered' in.  So I pay an extra $6 a month, because I won't renew my 3-month subscription most likely and want to keep my Crate sub.  Sucks, but it is what it is.