The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

5 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Which ones? I've been a subscriber since January and every ROTM has been of excellent quality, but I've heard their older stuff was a lot spottier in terms of QC.

Just in general really. I'm not usually one for record clubs, but there have been a few well priced releases recently. 

At least with Fiona even though I knew it would not be a heavy played record I can see myself playing it here and there and def. enjoying it. This Morby dude imo just has mediocrity written all over him from everything I have heard. He is not terrible but no way in hell worth $30 for any of his material.

I saw that ex-employee conversation on reddit and seen him mentioning there was a def jam release coming soon so I was hoping something hip hop but with this and then the July records first hint is something funky I am def. stepping away for a few months probably and hoping for something good again later in the year.

for what its worth, heres my opinion. it starts with, "im not surprised, but surprised" if its kevin morby

if you recall, most all new DD subscribers had to sign at least 3-month agreements. there was no way the third album was going to be a banger/in demand release.  theres also no way there are 30K morby fans out there, much less those subscribed to VMP. so, they press 10-15K of these (which wont cost nearly as much to license), wait for people to make swaps, press more if needed...essentially, this month is worth probably 500-800K in dollars, and it will allow them to clear out some of the old ROTM (since plenty of people will swap), in addition, its highly unlikely they will have to hold onto 15-20K of the current ROTM.

the real test will be can they sustain the subscriber uptick, and I think this is why the next ROTM will be on the level of DD, but they were always going to have a "meh" release this cycle in order to maximize the profit from DD.  anyone else think the current business model is one that helps facilitate a sale?  i think thats the logical next step (assuming it hasnt already happened)

i really like kevin morby, also, but will likely swap

40 minutes ago, hype said:

At least with Fiona even though I knew it would not be a heavy played record I can see myself playing it here and there and def. enjoying it. This Morby dude imo just has mediocrity written all over him from everything I have heard. He is not terrible but no way in hell worth $30 for any of his material.

I saw that ex-employee conversation on reddit and seen him mentioning there was a def jam release coming soon so I was hoping something hip hop but with this and then the July records first hint is something funky I am def. stepping away for a few months probably and hoping for something good again later in the year.

That Def Jam release finna be Channel Orange