The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

46 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

The wording was "Def Jam release" which that was. Don't poop in my cereal it's happening dammit.

Word. I'm just being a turd because I have the boot and don't want to shell out for a VMP subscription for a real one.

Though honestly I imagine they'll sound pretty similar.

1 hour ago, pepperonigin said:

Which records can you swap for? I've only done month to month subs in the past but decided to sign on for three now that there have been a slew of quality releases.

You can swap for any previous ROTM that is still in stock and select store exclusives. They include an updated list of SWAPS with each ROTM announcement so you will be able to see what you can swap for tomorrow.  You can get an idea what will be available by looking at the ROTM archives in the store.  

Debating if I should cancel or just swap, only thing I'm interested in is Four Tet and maybe Weezer or Beck. My main concern is if I cancel now and they do that garage sale thing I heard they do every once in a while, I want to see if there's a chance I can get any copies of JT or Earl Sweatshirt that may be lying around.

3 hours ago, charles1028 said:

You can swap for any previous ROTM that is still in stock and select store exclusives. They include an updated list of SWAPS with each ROTM announcement so you will be able to see what you can swap for tomorrow.  You can get an idea what will be available by looking at the ROTM archives in the store.  

I am new to this also and I will be out when the announcement will be made.

So I will have to do things on my iPhone and I have to be fast judging by the huge number of swaps that this annoucement will trigger.

Where can I find the swap link after the announcement?

I bet the site will be crashing from all the swap traffic.

49 minutes ago, trickster said:

I am new to this also and I will be out when the announcement will be made.

So I will have to do things on my iPhone and I have to be fast judging by the huge number of swaps that this annoucement will trigger.

Where can I find the swap link after the announcement?

I bet the site will be crashing from all the swap traffic.

In the store just hit the "My Account" tab at the top right and you will see the button to swap like the picture below.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/groovehq/uploaded/18p8i67s173r7fp6ln3aspghi5b93neq1o81hmos8e0x9bi399?1490400261

6 hours ago, hype said:

At least with Fiona even though I knew it would not be a heavy played record I can see myself playing it here and there and def. enjoying it. This Morby dude imo just has mediocrity written all over him from everything I have heard. He is not terrible but no way in hell worth $30 for any of his material.

I saw that ex-employee conversation on reddit and seen him mentioning there was a def jam release coming soon so I was hoping something hip hop but with this and then the July records first hint is something funky I am def. stepping away for a few months probably and hoping for something good again later in the year.

1 i like your avatar 2 whats wrong with funk (knowing vmp itll prob be a mediocre artist or a great artists with their worst album being picked) 3 rumor has it The National might be rotm sept or store exclusive? 4. Theres a possibility that the 4chan post was fake but who knows.  I would love to get fever to tell lateralus in consecutive months

Nothing wrong with funk at all! I got at least a little love for pretty much all genres but that is one where I am much more picky so the chance they choose something I would be cool with dropping $30 on is very slim. As long as the next record is Morby along with some funk the following month I am not going to go for another 3 month payment, they can wash down a warm glass of shut the hell up with any further clues as far as my interest goes at least.  Fever To Tell  would be a tremendous looking trophy though! 

New releases will always get the heavy swap treatment due to availability elsewhere and the 'unknown'. Not surprised to see the reaction around the new ROTM being Morby. I'm sure VMPs package will be pretty awesome, but get why people would swap with a previous ROTM. Especially after the influx of 3-month members from DD. 

Note you can also find the SWAP link in the actual announcement e-mail today. 

I'll definitely be giving Morby a chance. 

Although it has since switched back to Fiona, the ROTM page confirmed Morby as this months pick for a quick moment.  Must have been testing the page.

I'll give it a shot if I can track down a way to listen to the whole album but this will likely be a swap month for me. 

Edited by charles1028

Kevin Morby's last record Singing Saw was great. He's been steadily building a fan base and deserves a little bit of extra exposure, however, throwing him to the VMP subscriber wolves worries me a bit. He's an artist you find on your own, sit with for a while, and slowly develop a soft spot for. He's not an artist who lays down the sickest jazz drum beats you've ever heard within the first 30 seconds of the record. He's not an artist who finally makes you realize that you love the blues! He's not an artist who "breaks" an unknown scene/ genre for you as a discerning but new vinyl collector. He doesn't mash hip hop with bluegrass and give you a piece of future music history for your shelves. He's just a dude who plays slow dreamy-folk songs that are better than you think they're going to be.

Edited by richardsurf

Hmm, I like Woods, and would normally give Morby a shot, but the fact that after two months they still haven't fixed the fact that I can't get any referrals + paying a premium due to being in Canada = me cancelling my subscription after June, and there's stuff I would have purchased had even one referral gone through but when you dangle an incentive in your customers face and then take it away, well,  fuck you! :):):) So I'm swapping.

Am I the only one who thinks the video accompanying the announcement email kind of misses the mark?

It's cool that they got Morby to be a part of it but it's more an advertisement for the VMP service and doesn't really tell us anything about the music.

They could have at least highlighted a song that wasn't already released as a single.

Edited by charles1028
Speeling