The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

33 minutes ago, Vector53 said:

Man I can't believe Gorillaz is getting ragged on cause people want to trash/defend this month's pick. Like whatever you guys. Keep the damn album or cancel. Who cares but then I forget what site I'm on lol.

I quietly sat not giving a fuck about Gorillaz and didn't trash anyone for being excited or whatever. It's now two months later and the last 5 pages have all been complaining about having to be stuck paying $80 and not being interested in literally everything else you can swap for. It's annoying and I'm down to argue with anyone who thinks otherwise. You all knew what you bought now shut up about it.

10 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I quietly sat not giving a fuck about Gorillaz and didn't trash anyone for being excited or whatever. It's now two months later and the last 5 pages have all been complaining about having to be stuck paying $80 and not being interested in literally everything else you can swap for. It's annoying and I'm down to argue with anyone who thinks otherwise. You all knew what you bought now shut up about it.

Lol really has that been the trend? I popped in for the Fleet Foxes but that's it. Well there it is. Not gonna argue that. 

Yeah I don't really understand why people are complaining about this month, my whole plan for VMP was to wait for something really worth getting a membership (Demon Days) and then swap the next two months since VMP is usually for random exposure of music to people who can't find music on there own, and no disrespect to anyone who loves VMP, that's just what it feels like. Only thing I was ever interested with was Fugees and I can live without everything else they've done, but that being said I'll be happy with swapping Morby for the Four Tet album.

3 minutes ago, Reshiram454 said:

Yeah I don't really understand why people are complaining about this month, my whole plan for VMP was to wait for something really worth getting a membership (Demon Days) and then swap the next two months since VMP is usually for random exposure of music to people who can't find music on there own, and no disrespect to anyone who loves VMP, that's just what it feels like. Only thing I was ever interested with was Fugees and I can live without everything else they've done, but that being said I'll be happy with swapping Morby for the Four Tet album.

Right? Why risk $30 a month on a random album when you can buy something you know you'd like. If you're an avid music fan there's no way you can't find at least one thing you rather buy per month. 

2 hours ago, museummouth said:

Glad I got in on that one month Gorillaz. Don't people realize that 99% of stuff VMP has done for ROTM has been mediocre stuff you wouldn't have bought otherwise or widely available stuff that most music fans already have.

A. Their pressing's sound quality is almost always top notch as is the packaging.  There are numerous instances of their version sounding better than the readily available one.  See Weezer and the Fugees.  

B. Their taste in music is vaired and top rate.  Have there been some questionable new release picks over the years?  Sure.  But in the past 1 1/2 years there have only been 3 or so AotM that I straight up don't like.

C) Fiona and Gorillaz are not the only example of them pressing something out of print.  See The Books and Menomena (two of my favorite indie albums of the 00's), Wells Fargo amd Beck (though that did see a black varient released at the same time).

D.  They do 5 or so exclusive pressings every month.  Most of which quickly increase in value.  You are given the choice to swap for some of these if you dont like the AotM.

All this bitching is fucking ridiculous.  I let my membership lapse here and there when finances are tight, but Vinyl Me Please is about as well run of a small business as I can think of.  If it's not for you, thats fine.  But if your collection isnt 500+ albums deep and you're complaining about their choice in music chances are your have narrow and/or shitty taste...  And for the record, I swapped Morby for Beck, was ecstatic when Demon Days was announced and have no fucking trouble tracking down new music to listen to on my own.  

Edited by downisthenewup87

6 minutes ago, downisthenewup87 said:

A. Their pressings sound quality is almost always top notch as is the packaging.  There are numerous instances of their version sounding better than the readily available one.  See Weezer and the Fugees.  

B. Their taste in music is vaired and top rate.  Have there been some questionable new release picks over the years.  Sure.  But in the past 1 1/2 years there have only been 3 or so AotM that I straight up don't like.

C) Fiona and Gorillaz are not the only example of them pressing something out of print.  See The Books and Menomena (two of my favorite indie albums of the 00's), Wells Fargo amd Beck (though that did see a black varient released at the same time).

D.  They do 5 or so exclusive pressings every month.  Most of which quickly increase in value.  You are given the choice to swap for some of these if you dont like the AotM.

All this bitching is fucking ridiculous.  I let my membership lapse here and there when finances are tight, but Vinyl Me Please is about as well run of a small business as I can think of.  If it's not for you, thats fine.  But if your collection isnt 500+ albums deep and you're complaining about their choice in music chances are your have narrow and/or shitty taste.

Weezer is a poor example since it's from the MoFi plates and doesn't sound "better" than the black MoFi copies. Other than that, to each their own.

Person Pitch was also OOP and VMP version is leaps and bounds better than the original. I've got a crate membership though so I just cherry pick what I like. The exclusive member store pressings are why I keep it active cause I need the pretty colors.

VMP does such a wide variety of music that I think it's impossible for any normal person that doesn't only listen to nostalgia-core and pop-punk to not find something they like if they're swapping. And who the fuck owns every record they like? That argument is weak that all the good releases will already be in your collection.

10 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Weezer is a poor example since it's from the MoFi plates and doesn't sound "better" than the black MoFi copies. Other than that, to each their own.

Fair I suppose, but my point is more that they used the MoFi plates while adding slick packaging and one of the prettiest pressings I've come across.   Once again, I have no problem with somebody saying a music curation service isn't for them.   I just find it absurd that people claim that A) VMP's target audience is people who need someone to tell them what to listen to (their forums are far superior to this one as it pertains to music discussion for a reason, their target audience is music junkies) and B. When people try and argue that VMP has shitty taste in music. 

And I did, indeed, forget about Person Pitch because that album does nothing for me.  Yet, I readily acknowledge it's importance in the historical trajectory of indie rock and that it was also an excellent pick on behalf of the staff.  

Edited by downisthenewup87

islands was also oop, I have no problem with VMP in fact I think it's a really great service, I just like too much music and can't afford to have that tied up in something decided for me but if I had more disposable income I'd probably be a member they have some great titles. I had to have Fiona but wasn't signing up for 3 months so I traded for a copy to someone on reddit should be here today I'm excited

13 minutes ago, YouTwo said:

Yes.  I'm not sure why it says "Learn More" but it sold out a day or two after going on sale.  

It's what non-members or members who are not signed in see. It's normal. And 100% @downisthenewup87

VMP was always going to face an uphill battle for release unique records given the vinyl resurgence, which is why they have moved away from describing their albums as 'essential'. The best albums out there are getting reissued or repressed by the bands and labels themselves. VMP tries to find some of those less known but loved albums to press, so they won't always be everyone's cup of tea (e.g., Panda Bear, Main Source, Nina Simone - still the best three month run from them in terms of small classics and quality, IMO). 

Not everyone can afford a club to send them albums they may not like, and some don't see the value in paying for albums they may not like; that's completely fine and very understandable. Just don't jump down people's throats who enjoy the curation. If you go to a restaurant and order the prix fixe menu, do you then ask for substitions because they aren't serving your favorite steak? No. You pay for a service to curate something great for you. So far, VMP has done a very admirable job.

Person Pitch ---> Breaking Atoms ---> Yours Conditionally

Demon Days ---> Tidal ---> City Music

I know it's ridiculous to look for a pattern and expect it to be followed, but it's worth note that in each of the above cases from 2017 we've gotten two "good" releases followed by a "throwaway".

3 hours ago, DOMAN127 said:

Person Pitch ---> Breaking Atoms ---> Yours Conditionally

Demon Days ---> Tidal ---> City Music

I know it's ridiculous to look for a pattern and expect it to be followed, but it's worth note that in each of the above cases from 2017 we've gotten two "good" releases followed by a "throwaway".

Think about what you're saying for a minute. Do you really think they intentionally do that? Has the vinyl surge cleared up to the point where they can pick and choose what gets released when? Also Person Pitch is hardly comparable to Demon Days or Tidal they are multi-platinum records.

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Think about what you're saying for a minute. Do you really think they intentionally do that? Has the vinyl surge cleared up to the point where they can pick and choose what gets released when? Also Person Pitch is hardly comparable to Demon Days or Tidal they are multi-platinum records.

I said "good" records as in generally considered to be "good", especially when they were all out of press or unavailable at the time. They were well-favored by members of the service.

Do I think they did it intentionally? Not necessarily, but it wouldn't be the worst business strategy considering how many people go with their 3-month plan.

10 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Not to mention if VMP did nothing but big releases like Demon Days and Tidal they'd probably be broke.  I'm sure big records like that cost them a lot more (possibly even a loss) and they make up for it on records like Morby.  Not to say Kevin Morby won't be a good record, but I can't say from a business end I would blame them if they were setting up their releases in that fashion.  

Edited by YouTwo

1 minute ago, DOMAN127 said:

I said "good" records as in generally considered to be "good", especially when they were all out of press or unavailable at the time. They were well-favored by members of the service.

Do I think they did it intentionally? Not necessarily, but it wouldn't be the worst business strategy considering how many people go with their 3-month plan.

Eh, I don't think that's how business works. Release 2 things everyone wants then piss them off on purpose? I think they like everything they put out which is why they put it out. You didn't have to buy a 3 month membership for Person Pitch or Breaking Atoms either. If anything Demon Days was the only thing intentionally released for extra $$$ and subs.

1 minute ago, YouTwo said:

Not to mention if VMP did nothing but big releases like Demon Days and Tidal they'd probably be broke.  I'm sure big records like that cost them a lot more (possibly even a loss) and they make up for it on records like Morby.  Not to say Kevin Morby won't be a good record, but I can't say from a business end I would blame them if they were setting up their releases in that fashion.  

Far more likely.