The Official 'Vinyl Me, Please' thread.

Would be kind of disappointed if this ends up as Boxer. I love the album but this would mean three months in a row where the ROTM is readily available through other outlets, and sometimes at a much cheaper cost than the VMP membership (frills excluded of course).  They will really have to make this special, beyond just a 7", IMO. But heck, they may pull it off...

Edited by Canuckle

4 hours ago, Canuckle said:

Would be kind of disappointed if this ends up as The Boxer. I love the album but this would mean three months in a row where the ROTM is readily available through other outlets, and sometimes at a much cheaper cost than the VMP membership (frills excluded of course).  They will really have to make this special, beyond just a 7", IMO. But heck, they may pull it off...

this isn't true. Fiona Apple was a first time pressing and is not available anywhere else.

edit: nevermind, I guess Fiona Apple will be 4 months ago if this next one is the boxer.

Edited by jrodan

Aren't most of their ROTM readily available though? A quick look back it seems Gorillaz/Fiona Apple are the outliers and most stuff was available outside VMP. 

Maybe im wrong, but I think before those 2 Four Tet was the only exclusive release they had. Of course I mean their ROTM being variant pressings aside. 

Edited by timsimmons

On 7/19/2017 at 0:54 PM, lethalenforcer said:

So I think they mean it'd be City Music/Betty Davis/Boxer

Bingo, and I love Boxer but I don't think it needs a repress, especially considering both the OG and yellow reissue can be had for less than $30. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something else entirely... Boxer is just what the masses are guessing. 

Edited by Canuckle

3 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Aren't most of their ROTM readily available though? A quick look back it seems Gorillaz/Fiona Apple are the outliers and most stuff was available outside VMP. 

Maybe im wrong, but I think before those 2 Four Tet was the only exclusive release they had. Of course I mean their ROTM being variant pressings aside. 

I'd say that their ROTMs are readily available around 1/3 of the time in some form elsewhere AND at a reasonable cost. Panda Bear and Main Source were either hard to find, or their previous presses were pricey. 

All new releases obviously fall into the 'readily available' category; but they often also do their own remastering (Nina) and put together an awesome packages (The Books) for reissues that are available which does warrant ROTM treatment. That said, their job at finding hidden gems or records that NEED a pressing is going to become harder and harder as more of the 90's/00's stuff is repressed.

1 hour ago, Canuckle said:

Bingo, and I love The Boxer but I don't think it needs a repress, especially considering both the OG and yellow reissue can be had for less than $30. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's something else entirely... The Boxer is just what the masses are guessing. 

I know it's a petty, stupid thing...but the album is called "Boxer" not "The Boxer."

8 hours ago, danyc said:

Late to the party I realize, but anyone have Fiona Apple - Tidal they don't need and want to sell for non gouging prices? Worth a shot I suspect.

It's still available in their store.  If you're not currently a member they announce their August AOTM today.  See if it's something you like than sign up and you can still add Fiona.